Summer transfer window 2023

Keep buying relegated players each season and they will ultimately relegate you.

Yes there are some exceptions where the player is indeed too good, like Gana was, like Maddison would be.

We rave about Doucoure now cos of the strike but we know both him and Mcneil aren't the type of players that would fit in any top 10 side. Good squad players.
What about Luke Ayling or Willy Caballero?

We are interested in Tom Krauss from Leipzig. €5-7m

Germany U21 central midfielder. Been on loan at Schalke all season. Good size, good engine, uncomplicated playstyle.

For that price and to add depth to midfield? Yeh
Been in all the German youth teams as well and looks to have captained u18s, now a current 11 cap u21.

Only thing @Nymzee he was loaned to Schalke with a 3mil obligation and 1.5mil in clauses to be completed if Schalke had stayed up.

That seems a very low figure for someone with his 'credentials'. Any ideas why its so low?

I guess the fee would be similar even though he seems to have been one of Schalke's best players.

Sell Maupay to who? Which club is paying anything even remotely close to what we paid for a dwarf with 1 goal in about 30-odd games?

Ideally we need two goal-scoring strikers. If we do sign a couple of attacking players, the likes of Simms & Cannon will probably go back out on loan.
Saltynana in Italy have been grooming him since January

It’s virtually a done deal

He’s about 6”5 and 21 started 11 games in the French league last season and people expect him to come to one the worst sides in the toughest league and drive the team forward on his own. He’s playing more as a midfielder, doucoure is getting goals because he’s playing off the striker.

Onana has got a lot of talent Imo. Wouldn’t be getting games for Belgium if he didn’t. If we could get 60 now, imagine what we could get in 2/3yrs. I’d sell Pickford out of the 2

I like him but feel Pickford is more vital especially the fact he is in demand and seems willing to stay, also a leader on the pitch which is scarce in the squad. Also who are we replacing him with? The Belgian squad is not the juggernaut it once was , a lot of their best players have aged out of form and the new crop isn't as formidable, still an accomplishment nevertheless

That’s like saying Declan rice and Bellingham aren’t good players because the competition is Jordon Henderson and kalvin Phillips. He started one of the World Cup games and the last qualifier ahead of Witsel and Tielemans.

Personally thought he had a good game v Bournemouth, yet there seems to be an agenda with him already.

I doubt it's that dire after cashing the Kean and Gordon checks. The situation isn't great. We won't know with anything approaching certainty until accounts season in the spring. We realized a lot of losses in 19/20 on player trading, and that fiasco comes off the books, which will help.

Selling Onana doesn't do as much as people think it does, since we've only amortized a single year of the transfer fee. Selling Gordon did major work, since he was an academy product with no fee to amortize.

We could probably spend a great deal and amortize aggressively, if we wished. That locks us right back into the financial prison we were in, except now it's long-term, so we probably don't do that. I would expect one major purchase up top, since we need goals and we need them now. The rest are probably the more modest buys that Thelwell and Dyche would prefer.

100% spot on. JP is far more important to keep if we can and has way more impact and influence on the team than a 1 goal young midfielder who can drift between best player on the pitch one week to largely anonymous the next. Don't particularly want to sell but if someone wants to pay ~£60m for Onana it would be a rare bit of good business by the club.

i don’t see the rationale for selling Pickford. We’d then need a new number 1 as good as he is just to stand still. Look at how much Arsenal had to pay for Ramsdale and he’s nowhere near as good.

We could quite easily end up paying a lot of Pickford’s fee on a replacement only to go backwards. The plan only really works if you can find a good keeper for a couple of mill but if it was that easy everyone would be doing it.
Ive always been a big fan of Pickfords and wanted us to sign him from Sunderland. However, in my opinion a 29 year old goalkeeper that relies on their reflexes is comparable to a 29 year old winger that relies on their pace....

...you either sell them at the max fee or stick with them 4 more years until they gradually (or suddenly) decline.

if you have a similar viewpoint then it doesnt matter if youre selling to reinvest elsewhere or even selling just to use the £50mil+ fee on the next superstar u23 keeper.

The fact is, you simply cant risk holding on.

The opposite can be said about Onana. Here we have a 21 year old who hasnt had a full preseason at a club since 2018. Weve got him for £33mil and a 20% sales clause meaning £75mil would double the original fee.

He's got a £26.4mil book value which will drop to £19.8mil next year and £13.2mil the following season.

As @Martin Alvito says we'd be selling Onana in the worst possible FFP position this summer. On the other hand a Pickford sale would be practically pure profit.

If Pickford was playing for the nouveaux fashionable club Brighton they would sell at £50mil and loan an experienced keeper + sign a young world class prospect or an undervalued young top class player.

That is what we should do to generate £50mil profit on Pickford (whose value will begin to decrease) instead of £40mil profit on Onana if sold at £75mil (whose value should increase with FFP fee decreasing on the books).

People seem to want a 'rebuild' but are 'frightened' to do so.

We have 5 u23s to build around: Branthwaite, Patterson, Onana, Garner and McNeil.

To 'tinker' around and move McNeil central:

???
Patterson ??? Branthwaite ???
Onana
Garner McNeil
??? ??? ???
For me, its clear that if we sold Pickford then we would still be 6 players short on a rebuild. Sell Onana and were 7 players short of a rebuild.

Financially and in terms of a rebuild both make perfect sense to sell Pickford over Onana.

Also, if you dont rate him then thats on you but Martinez, Tedesco and Allardyce are fans -- 3 totally different managers. Newcastle, Arsenal and Chelsea are all strongly linked as well as United.

Theres a reason for that and a reason for the reported £60-70mil fees which are low compared with his peers (who his stats compare favourably with).

I would only do business at over £75mil (plus a sell on) for Onana and £50mil for Pickford...not a penny less and only if Thelwell reinvested in u23s. The Onana fee would be too high to reject but also probably a huge mistake as well.

Ive always been a big fan of Pickfords and wanted us to sign him from Sunderland. However, in my opinion a 29 year old goalkeeper that relies on their reflexes is comparable to a 29 year old winger that relies on their pace....

...you either sell them at the max fee or stick with them 4 more years until they gradually (or suddenly) decline.

if you have a similar viewpoint then it doesnt matter if youre selling to reinvest elsewhere or even selling just to use the £50mil+ fee on the next superstar u23 keeper.

The fact is, you simply cant risk holding on.

The opposite can be said about Onana. Here we have a 21 year old who hasnt had a full preseason at a club since 2018. Weve got him for £33mil and a 20% sales clause meaning £75mil would double the original fee.

He's got a £26.4mil book value which will drop to £19.8mil next year and £13.2mil the following season.

As @Martin Alvito says we'd be selling Onana in the worst possible FFP position this summer. On the other hand a Pickford sale would be practically pure profit.

If Pickford was playing for the nouveaux fashionable club Brighton they would sell at £50mil and loan an experienced keeper + sign a young world class prospect or an undervalued young top class player.

That is what we should do to generate £50mil profit on Pickford (whose value will begin to decrease) instead of £40mil profit on Onana if sold at £75mil (whose value should increase with FFP fee decreasing on the books).

People seem to want a 'rebuild' but are 'frightened' to do so.

We have 5 u23s to build around: Branthwaite, Patterson, Onana, Garner and McNeil.

To 'tinker' around and move McNeil central:

???
Patterson ??? Branthwaite ???
Onana
Garner McNeil
??? ??? ???
For me, its clear that if we sold Pickford then we would still be 6 players short on a rebuild. Sell Onana and were 7 players short of a rebuild.

Financially and in terms of a rebuild both make perfect sense to sell Pickford over Onana.

Also, if you dont rate him then thats on you but Martinez, Tedesco and Allardyce are fans -- 3 totally different managers. Newcastle, Arsenal and Chelsea are all strongly linked as well as United.

Theres a reason for that and a reason for the reported £60-70mil fees which are low compared with his peers (who his stats compare favourably with).

I would only do business at over £75mil (plus a sell on) for Onana and £50mil for Pickford...not a penny less and only if Thelwell reinvested in u23s. The Onana fee would be too high to reject but also probably a huge mistake as well.
Jeez......a whole summer of these Tolstoy-esque posts.

I’m not sure about the calls to cash in on Onana. He cost us £36 million and there is apparently a 20% sell on fee.

If we sell for 60 million our profit would be between £12 - £19 million.

Or at most a book profit of £21 to £27 million.

Not huge. We should keep him for a further 12 months.
If the figure was £75mil (the lowest id reluctantly accept) then with the £20% sell on it would be:

£75mil fee - 20% profit of £43mil = £66.6mil
Less book value of £26.4mil = £40.2mil profit.

Sell at £75mil in 12months = £46.8mil profit
Sell at £75mil in 24months = £53.4mil profit

I know what id do lol

I'm generally opposed to adding to our impressive selection of relegated players, but I think Castagne would be a smart pick-up.

Good player, comfortable on either flank.
Was thinking the same this morning. Id actually go for Castagne and Bakayoko for a Belgian right side.
We would also then have 65million to replace 9 players.
9 players dont need replacing. The squad is too big as it is...but you know this.
Listen, nobody will want to buy any of those players. I don’t know how many times this needs reiterating.
Maupay and Keane were being sold before Lampard was fired, Holgate for 2 seasons also had offers to be moved on as well. I dont know how many times this needs reiterating lol
I am aware of how it works.

My point is, even if we sell Pickford for 40/50m this doesn't automatically mean we can go and spend 100m, because you still need the extra 50/60m in cash to buy those players, regardless of how the money is spread on the accounts.
No you dont. You need 20% of the cash every year for a 5 year player contract. With resale values and improved finishing position it makes perfect sense as long as you buy Onanas, Garners and McNeils.
Creating nothing. Mate do you ever watch us? An assist is the last pass before a goal, things happen before that. People don't watch anymore they look at bullshit stats that tell you virtually nothing.
The commentator wanted someone to take his batteries out in the last game. The man is a headless chicken that doesnt stop running around at random. He's an absolutely frustrating footballer with one year on his deal.

It would be a miracle to get £12.5mil-15mil for him.
Who is buying Keane? Even the manager that basically launched his premier league career and even attempted to revived his career realized how much of a liability he was and ceased playing him. Dysche was the one manager I could see acquiring him lol but I think he's educated himself
He was being sold last January (media reports and also had offers last summer (from the horses mouth).