Summer transfer window 2023

I like him but feel Pickford is more vital especially the fact he is in demand and seems willing to stay, also a leader on the pitch which is scarce in the squad. Also who are we replacing him with? The Belgian squad is not the juggernaut it once was , a lot of their best players have aged out of form and the new crop isn't as formidable, still an accomplishment nevertheless
That’s like saying Declan rice and Bellingham aren’t good players because the competition is Jordon Henderson and kalvin Phillips. He started one of the World Cup games and the last qualifier ahead of Witsel and Tielemans.

Personally thought he had a good game v Bournemouth, yet there seems to be an agenda with him already.

He’s about 6”5 and 21 started 11 games in the French league last season and people expect him to come to one the worst sides in the toughest league and drive the team forward on his own. He’s playing more as a midfielder, doucoure is getting goals because he’s playing off the striker.

Onana has got a lot of talent Imo. Wouldn’t be getting games for Belgium if he didn’t. If we could get 60 now, imagine what we could get in 2/3yrs. I’d sell Pickford out of the 2
We shouldn't be selling either of them!

View comments

Everton are stepping up their interest in quicksilver striker El Bilal Toure following his return to Almeria's line-up on Sunday.
Confidential readers know that Toure was injured earlier this year after setting off to sprint at 35km/h - as fast as a spinytail iguana. What? Well, let's say quicker than a Goodison Park pitch invader.
As revealed in Mail Sport columnist Simon Jones' latest Transfer Confidential column, Everton want to avoid a repeat of their relegation scrap by adding more goals into their squad after just about preserving their Premier League status.
Big fan of them describing him as fast as a spinytail iguana. Using animals for speed comparisons is definitely a trend I can get behind.

Sell to buy again...
I doubt it's that dire after cashing the Kean and Gordon checks. The situation isn't great. We won't know with anything approaching certainty until accounts season in the spring. We realized a lot of losses in 19/20 on player trading, and that fiasco comes off the books, which will help.

Selling Onana doesn't do as much as people think it does, since we've only amortized a single year of the transfer fee. Selling Gordon did major work, since he was an academy product with no fee to amortize.

We could probably spend a great deal and amortize aggressively, if we wished. That locks us right back into the financial prison we were in, except now it's long-term, so we probably don't do that. I would expect one major purchase up top, since we need goals and we need them now. The rest are probably the more modest buys that Thelwell and Dyche would prefer.

I like him but feel Pickford is more vital especially the fact he is in demand and seems willing to stay, also a leader on the pitch which is scarce in the squad. Also who are we replacing him with? The Belgian squad is not the juggernaut it once was , a lot of their best players have aged out of form and the new crop isn't as formidable, still an accomplishment nevertheless
100% spot on. JP is far more important to keep if we can and has way more impact and influence on the team than a 1 goal young midfielder who can drift between best player on the pitch one week to largely anonymous the next. Don't particularly want to sell but if someone wants to pay ~£60m for Onana it would be a rare bit of good business by the club.

i don’t see the rationale for selling Pickford. We’d then need a new number 1 as good as he is just to stand still. Look at how much Arsenal had to pay for Ramsdale and he’s nowhere near as good.

We could quite easily end up paying a lot of Pickford’s fee on a replacement only to go backwards. The plan only really works if you can find a good keeper for a couple of mill but if it was that easy everyone would be doing it.

He 6 foot 4 not 6 foot 7!

Three inches is a LOT....
16.jpg

Everton want to sign Manchester City starlet Shea Charles, face competition from Borussia Dortmund and RB Leipzig​

Everton are keen on signing Manchester City midfielder Shea Charles this summer, but face competition from Borussia Dortmund and RB Leipzig.

The 19-year-old was named on the substitutes bench by Pep Guardiola for their final Premier League fixture of the season against Brentford, coming on for Nathan Ake just after the hour mark

Everton want to sign Manchester City starlet Shea Charles, face competition from Borussia Dortmund and RB Leipzig​

Everton are keen on signing Manchester City midfielder Shea Charles this summer, but face competition from Borussia Dortmund and RB Leipzig.

The 19-year-old was named on the substitutes bench by Pep Guardiola for their final Premier League fixture of the season against Brentford, coming on for Nathan Ake just after the hour mark
We'll probably end up with Ray Charles...

Big fan of them describing him as fast as a spinytail iguana. Using animals for speed comparisons is definitely a trend I can get behind.
Yeah- it’s great. Unfortunately Thelwell uses this benchmark already, hence the signing of Maupay, who had mistakenly been filed in Kev’s database under ‘Cheetah’ instead of under his correct label ‘Choleopus Sloth.’ He was first alerted to his error when it took him 27 minutes to sign his name on the contract, by which point it was too late to back out of the deal.

GK: Pickford, Begovic

RB: Patterson, new RB, Coleman

CB: Tarkowski, Branthwaite, Godfrey, new CB, Coady

LB: Mykolenko, new LB

DM: Onana, Gueye

CM: Garner, Doucoure, new midfielder, new midfielder, Warrington

RW: New RW, Gray

CF: New CF, DCL, Simms

LW: McNeil, new LW, Dobbin.

This is what I think would be an ok squad for next season.

Some big outs: Keane Holgate Mina Vinagre, Iwobi, Davies, Gbamin, Gomes, Dele, Townsend, Maupay

Plus a lot of new signings in key areas: CB, LB, RB, 2 x MF, RW, LW, CF.

I don’t think we’ll see anything like this pace of change though and it wouldn’t surprise me at all to still see Keane and Iwobi here next season.

There’s an awful lot of work that needs doing to the squad. I hope that we might be able to get some use from Warrington Dobbin Branthwaite otherwise we have an awful lot of recruitment to do.

It's easy to say but I'm not sure that's how it works in reality. I'd wager its normal/commonplace for players who know they'll be getting a big money money to a club with top prospects to protect that opportunity. A couple of trophies won in the past is great, but players have to think about the future, and this is his shot to play CL football for perhaps the rest of his career. Some may see it as an "attitude thing", but I think it's probably just the nature/reality of the way things are in that circumstance.
Fair enough. I'd be surprised myself. But I'm only guessing. Just assume you'd play your heart out wherever you are and not even think about the next match. Especially if you've something to play for. But again, I'm just guessing

The unbalanced squad is because 4-5 managers have cherry picked certain players.
That's fine if you don't use the DoF role, but if you do then it becomes................well an Everton squad really.

The DoF should defining what type of team we are not just first team but through the whole academy system. Tika Tak, high press, long ball whatever it maybe.
He then should scout players to fit the system and hire a manager that suits and can work with the players available.

Its pointless buying Coady for instance if the next manager is going to play a high line.
Or Signing Neal Maupay if the manager is going to play hoofball.
Or building a team around Doucoure if he wants to play possession football
Again I see your point, but our current DOF brought in Maupay and Coady and then got Dyche in. The cohesion to a style just isnt there, and hasnt been for years of utilizing a DOF at Everton.

Cuts through teams like butter, so I have heard.