2018/19 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
The mindset is a massive problem for me. Mistakes happen, but it doesn't say a lot for his mindset. Compare the reaction to Keane, who goes mental at the linesman and is very concerned we nearly conceded. All he's looking at doing is winding up opposing fans having made a mistake.
True. Or he gives a bollocking to a random defender/player in front of him - defo doesn't strike confidence in your keeper, tbh.

Like I get it, at times they're also at fault, but being stuck to your line from a cross, conceding by standing at your line while players walk the ball in in front of you, getting up and shouting at Coleman... what? It makes no sense. Even Tim Howard wasn't like that, and the guy has Tourettes ffs!

Also agreed on that - there's something wrong with the way he thinks. He puts himself in losing positions often and manages to save them, fair play, but why not... not be in that position? It's avoidable stuff really. Then he saves and gets up like everyone should cheer him for the heroic save he just made - aye, fair play Jordan, you made the save, but if you'd come out and collected the ball there'd be no need and you'd get the plaudits as well, you tit.

He has served a very demanding apprenticeship as a keeper. World cup apart, he has never played behind a sound defence.

He would calm down if he was part of a better-organised team. He will improve, but I don't know if will be with us.

Eventually the England squad was brought down by their insistence on passing the ball back to Pickford and it's something that Everton do all the time as well, it's difficult not to start to wonder whether the players feel they need to always keep Pickford busy to stop him doing something stupid. The lad has plenty of quality about him when it comes to shot stopping but in the end it's all for nothing if he is consistently error prone.

A good defense will definitely help but it also needs to make sure Pickford plays as little part in the game as possible, his kicks are terrible and most of the time end up going out for a throw-in in our half anyway and you can clearly see the stupid errors he's making have started making him doubt himself even more when it comes to decision making.

Eventually the England squad was brought down by their insistence on passing the ball back to Pickford and it's something that Everton do all the time as well, it's difficult not to start to wonder whether the players feel they need to always keep Pickford busy to stop him doing something stupid. The lad has plenty of quality about him when it comes to shot stopping but in the end it's all for nothing if he is consistently error prone.

A good defense will definitely help but it also needs to make sure Pickford plays as little part in the game as possible, his kicks are terrible and most of the time end up going out for a throw-in in our half anyway and you can clearly see the stupid errors he's making have started making him doubt himself even more when it comes to decision making.
But a solid keeper is part of the sound defense, and he's not a solid keeper. He's a solid, or even fantastic, shot stopper, but not much else.

Oh and his kicks seem somewhat accurate.

It would be useful if we had a back up keeper who was genuine competition.

Stek is ancient and hasn’t played and Virginia is 19 and raw.

Literally the extremes of both.

We can expect him to cock up once every 5 games and I’m being generous here, more like every 3 game at current rate. And this cock up usually ends up dropping points.

Multiply it across the full season and we will probably see 7 games of howler and that’s 14 to 21 points drop.

Where will we be today without him?

See your point. At this stage, kinda like we have to keep playing him so that he will improve enough for us to be able to sell him!

I know people say he's arrogant, but I never really knew what they meant until this game.

Saw him in the tunnel at the start of the game, and he did come across to me as a cocky chav who fancies himself as a bit of a hard nut.

Seeing this vid, only confirmed it. Swaggering off after that game!

Its all front obviously but he's letting his ego get the better of him which is a sign of immaturity. You don't engage with the opposition fans!

NUFC fans were trolling him all game, (you could hear them whenever he kicked the ball) but he brought it on himself by rising to the bait, and therefore turned the whole crowd against him, which only made things harder for himself, and got him more riled up, than he already was!

I worry that if other opposition fans see how easily he can be played like this, how long before they'll all be winding him up?

He's basically ensured he'll get a hard time whenever he returns to newcastle now, as he played right into their hands.

Seen an interview with Rooney and he was talking about when they used to play at anfield and the instructsions from ferguson. Basically they wouldn’t really try and attack for the first 20 mins and just dull the game down in order to silence the crowd and then start to gradually take over the game. Pickford has their fans screaming and shouting from the first minute and they got more riled up as he behaved like a penis. This meant that Newcastle fed off the crowd and we fighting for everything and eventually won. Say what you want about them but their fans created a very hostile atmosphere from what I heard and it serves the team well, most of that atmosphere was created by Pickford

Seen an interview with Rooney and he was talking about when they used to play at anfield and the instructsions from ferguson. Basically they wouldn’t really try and attack for the first 20 mins and just dull the game down in order to silence the crowd and then start to gradually take over the game. Pickford has their fans screaming and shouting from the first minute and they got more riled up as he behaved like a penis. This meant that Newcastle fed off the crowd and we fighting for everything and eventually won. Say what you want about them but their fans created a very hostile atmosphere from what I heard and it serves the team well, most of that atmosphere was created by Pickford

Very true. If you watch some NUFC video blogs on you tube you can see how hostile it was especially towards pickford, but you can also see how many jestures he made towards them and how much he riled them up, especailly after he saved the penalty (rubbing it in their face).

It must be hard to remain calm in a situation like that, with those levels of abuse, but what choice did he really have! He really thought getting into it with the away fans who outnumbered him thousands to one, and were standing directly behind him, was going to end well for him?

He angered them so much its likely they won't have calmed down by the next time he goes there! Yeah more than anyone that game was on pickford (IMO) for a number of different reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.