2018/19 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has served a very demanding apprenticeship as a keeper. World cup apart, he has never played behind a sound defence.

He would calm down if he was part of a better-organised team. He will improve, but I don't know if will be with us.

Behave
He will be a great keeper
He has become too cocky
He needs a manager to focus him
His weakness has always been crosses and when to come for them
But he is a great shot stopper
Grow up Jordan and don’t waste your talent. But to dismiss him is wrong.
We have had some terrible keepers over my time over the last 60 years and he is better than the majority.
Not a patch on Southall, West, Martyn but he still has the potential.
It’s more about attitude and maturity. That’s up to him

Like a few others on here I've tried to support him, wanted him to do well, but I have to say that's one of the worse performances I've seen from a GK at that level for some time. The first goal doesn't even come into it as I thought it took a deflection. But dropping a basic catch and then rugby tackling an opponent. The second goal was a mess, that should have been tipped over. It looks like he's tried to keep it it play (reminiscent of the goal v RS - doesn't he learn??). There were other instances of him coming rashly out to the ball, failing and leaving the goal gaping. Riddled with mistakes all game long.
End of the game, I wouldn't expect him to come off in tears but playing johnny-big-balls isn't a good look.
Any other position and he would be dropped. Big call for Silva to make. Not sure he will do it.

Behave
He has become too cocky
We have had some terrible keepers over my time over the last 60 years and he is better than the majority.

SELL

Yes that would be what you would do. Of course in practice it's more complex, all eleven plus subs make a contribution to the points total. You want to play and keep the players who make a consistently positive contribution; remove and sell those who make a consistently negative one. The LFC game (at home) he was a clear, positive contributor; the opposite at Anfield, in which he single-handedly lost us a point (probably the clearest possible such case).

All this is aside from my main point, which is that fans on here tend not to take the long view; and are prone to exaggeration (certainly about negative things) and overreaction.

A case in point: Interesting that you are not keen to permit sole factors that earn points -- it's due to everybody -- but quite happy to suggest sole factors exist in the opposite direction.
I'm not suggesting he is the sole factor, for me he is the biggest factor. To be honest I've never rated him and just don't have any faith in him so it won't take much for me to slate him on here, but by God he was bad on saturday

The shot dipped viciously, the fault lies with the defenders for not covering the striker's run.

I 'get' football more than most but surely everyone can recognise that? It's not like the Newcastle goalies parry which should have been dealt with better and it's not like he's Allison and conceding goals direct from corners or anything.

Pickford is abysmal, Sunderland is his level.

Behave
He has become too cocky

Behave?!?!

I’m bored of putting up with his antics.

I'm not suggesting he is the sole factor, for me he is the biggest factor. To be honest I've never rated him and just don't have any faith in him so it won't take much for me to slate him on here, but by God he was bad on saturday

I can't believe I went through the fear and dread of us possibly signing Joe Hart and then the joy of it not happening, only for us to snap up his younger more arrogant and more expensive equivalent

I would love to kick Everton Football Club square in the balls

Status
Not open for further replies.