2018/19 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
We won’t look for one though. Not while he’s here.
Herein lies the problem.

Not so long ago (when i was still coaching/managing ) Pickford was talk of the town. This young kid up in the North East , he's got the lot , gonna be the England keeper for a long time.
And he was good , very good. God knows how its got to this , but it needs rectifying very quickly.
Starting with his attitude this has got to be addressed , someone has to be very strong and teach him a few home truths.
And as much as I detest Allardyce , he just might have something about the coaching he is currently getting.
Anyways It cant & must not be allowed to carry on.

Herein lies the problem.

Not so long ago (when i was still coaching/managing ) Pickford was talk of the town. This young kid up in the North East , he's got the lot , gonna be the England keeper for a long time.
And he was good , very good. God knows how its got to this , but it needs rectifying very quickly.
Starting with his attitude this has got to be addressed , someone has to be very strong and teach him a few home truths.
And as much as I detest Allardyce , he just might have something about the coaching he is currently getting.
Anyways It cant & must not be allowed to carry on.

I fear it will be allowed to carry on.

One of our best players again.

£25m starting to look like a steal.
Possibly our second best keeper of all time.

Sounds like hyperbole but basically all goalies were crap until about Gordon banks. That includes lev yashin you hipster fux. Probably. Nobody's seen him play have they?

Anyway, so yeah...only big nev is better.

Won us 3 points today.

Problem that people don’t seem to be able to comprehend is that nobody will want him off us.

He’s another one to add to the list that we won’t be able to get rid of.

We won’t be getting another first choice keeper in while he’s here.

See your point. At this stage, kinda like we have to keep playing him so that he will improve enough for us to be able to sell him!

I know people say he's arrogant, but I never really knew what they meant until this game.

Saw him in the tunnel at the start of the game, and he did come across to me as a cocky chav who fancies himself as a bit of a hard nut.

Seeing this vid, only confirmed it. Swaggering off after that game!

Its all front obviously but he's letting his ego get the better of him which is a sign of immaturity. You don't engage with the opposition fans!

NUFC fans were trolling him all game, (you could hear them whenever he kicked the ball) but he brought it on himself by rising to the bait, and therefore turned the whole crowd against him, which only made things harder for himself, and got him more riled up, than he already was!

I worry that if other opposition fans see how easily he can be played like this, how long before they'll all be winding him up?

He's basically ensured he'll get a hard time whenever he returns to newcastle now, as he played right into their hands.

Pickford has weaknesses...

Dodgy on crosses & does not control his own six yard box..

Panics & makes rash decisions sending indecision through the whole defence...

Question marks over his mentality & overall intelligence...

Over reacts to saves making them look spectacular when it's a routine stop...

Dropping him for few games might make him mature into a better responsible keeper...

On the plus side...

His distribution is goo...

He tends to hold on to sho...

He doesn't concede many goa....

He doesn't believe his own hy...

Martinez didn't sign him. Yeah, that's the 1.

Also it would only be revisionism if I lauded his display as something more than routine.

That save was decent but had he not made it I would be disappointed, and besides that still doesn't equate to pickford earning points as you clock up the total as if he is the sole factor. If a defender makes a key tackle, a striker scores a goal and a keeper makes a key save do you split the three points between them? So your accumulation of the supposed points I'm demanding from a keeper is z false argument.

Yes that would be what you would do. Of course in practice it's more complex, all eleven plus subs make a contribution to the points total. You want to play and keep the players who make a consistently positive contribution; remove and sell those who make a consistently negative one. The LFC game (at home) he was a clear, positive contributor; the opposite at Anfield, in which he single-handedly lost us a point (probably the clearest possible such case).

All this is aside from my main point, which is that fans on here tend not to take the long view; and are prone to exaggeration (certainly about negative things) and overreaction.

All I really want is someone the defence can trust to command his box and not reduce the team to a nervous mess

A case in point: Interesting that you are not keen to permit sole factors that earn points -- it's due to everybody -- but quite happy to suggest sole factors exist in the opposite direction.

It was a good save. But it's his job.

He has made the most mistakes for a goalkeeper directly leading to chances.

He has made the most errors directly leading to goals by any goalkeeper this season.

His bad days have been so often this year. He's a shambolic goalkeeper who has wrecked our season through his stupidity/arrogance. Call it what you like.

Agree that overall he's not had a good season, but the only stupidity on show here is the suggestion that he's wrecked our season single-handedly.

Occasion got him and his head rolled off into the Tyne
'Occasion' was Everton playing Newcastle.... a pretty rivalry-calm affair.

They are fighting to get above the relegation fight and despite being one nil up and having silenced their 50k fans the manchild has to make it about himself.... he stoked up their support with all his nonsense. They had the 12th man behind them.

He's an idiot. He better get dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.