2018/19 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Such a hard one this guys isn't it?......nowhere near as simple as the Silva question where you can see he's not the man to take us forward as he's not done anything to show he's capable of it.

However Pickford wow, what a conundrum. My view is he's the best shot stopper in the league bar none, immense reactions as proved over an over again and gets that leg out where other keepers would still be rooted to the spot.

The lad then undo's all the good work by his total lack of awareness and ineptitude at the easier tasks.

On corners he's like a big boisterous sheep dog let off the lead just as 6 rabbits pop out of the hedge......he's no idea which one to go for and loses the lot, you never know whether he's going to come to the edge of the box to punch a ball away that's going nowhere anyway, or flap at the ball in his own 6 yard box when the catch for most keepers would be simple.

As for his distribution. He made a name for himself last season with a couple of incredible long and low stuck diagonal clearances which set up attacks from both flanks....we and the pundits raved about it and rightly so.

However I reckon it went to his head and he tries it every time now trying to recreate it......it won't happen Jordan, those clearances were sensational but as hard to recreate as a scissor kick from 20 years in to the top left corner.

Get back to basics lad, keep the shot stopping going, but do the simple things right first....under arm bowl it out to Digne rather than putting it in to touch every time and just take a chill pill when there's a set piece.......think about where that ball is going and decide if you really need to deal with it yourself, you do have centre backs there to share the workload.
Another thing that has changed is we have a different goalkeeping coach to last season and it's clear that Silvas guy ain't up to the job imo.

This is a simple thing to solve. An experienced or serious competitor for him to play in cup matches and push him for a place. over 2 years, both will improve and one of them will leave by the end of it if they are either much better or much worse.

This is a simple thing to solve. An experienced or serious competitor for him to play in cup matches and push him for a place. over 2 years, both will improve and one of them will leave by the end of it if they are either much better or much worse.

easier said than done, but quite a few of the top teams in europe have no.2 who have no chance of getting in. think Ospina type players and the no.2 at Real madrid, Bayern etc.

His derby flap.
His arrogance.
His current bad form.
His out of touch, weird dramatic baby gender reveals. Ok maybe not that...

I can see why there's a growing amount of fans on his case but I still think he's a good, potentially top goalkeeper in bad form, in a team severely hamstrung by a managerial setup.

He will only go backwards under Marco Silva. You only have to look at how backwards his distribution has got. Earlier in this thread I referenced it and someone wisely said it's instructed - he's told to go to the wingers and you're seeing him punt so many balls straight out.

He's not the problem, he's a symptom of a much bigger issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.