https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...mino-has-to-confess-if-he-is-guilty-56bgjpwms
Lord Ouseley: Roberto Firmino has to confess if he is guilty
Roberto Firmino should hold up his hands if he made a racially offensive remark to Mason Holgate and learn from his mistake, the head of football’s anti-discrimination body has said.
Lord Ouseley, the chairman of Kick It Out, said the organisation had been in touch with both Holgate, the Everton defender, and Firmino, the Liverpool striker, via the clubs to offer its services.
Holgate has accused Firmino of making a racist remark to him during Friday’s FA Cup third-round derby at Anfield. The flashpoint came when Holgate pushed Firmino over advertising hoardings and into the crowd. The Brazil forward went back on to the pitch and ran towards Holgate, and the pair were involved in a heated verbal altercation as Bobby Madley, the referee, kept them apart.
The FA is investigating the allegation and Ouseley said Kick It Out now had much more confidence in the governing body after unhappiness over its handling of racism cases involving Luis Suárez and John Terry in 2011-12.
Ouseley told The Times: “If Firmino did say something racially offensive in the heat of the moment it would be better for all concerned, including himself, if he accepts that and then he can learn from a mistake.
“It will show to the next generation, who mimic what these top players do, that you can make mistakes and then put them right.
“We are even-handed in this and we are saying we are here if required. It may well be the player has wrongly been alleged to have committed an act of abuse.
“We encourage people to own up to what they have done, we believe that’s the easiest way forward.
“In the Suárez case he told us I don’t know how many times he was innocent and John Terry the same. Trevor Sinclair, however, has held up his hands and admitted his guilt.”
Sinclair, the former England winger, was given a community service order last week after admitting racially abusing a white police officer who had arrested him for drink-driving.
Ouseley added: “We are not involved in this latest investigation but we have been in touch with both clubs and the players offering any support to either party. We want to offer our services if players have been abused, or do not feel that they are getting the right treatment.”
The FA is due to announce today its strategic plan for 2018 and Ouseley said that he had been assured the organisation would take steps to address the lack of diversity in senior management and coaching roles, as well as a new system for whistleblowers to be heard after the Eni Aluko case.
“The diversity across the whole of the FA still leaves a lot to be desired,” he added. “Wembley and St George’s Park are very white institutions, particularly at senior level. Where are the women and BAME [black, Asian and minority ethnic] people in senior positions?”