Weird and wonderful places youve tuned into an Everton match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was in Chiang Mai Thailand after studying abroad in grad school and went to a British pub there for the opening game of the 16-17 season against Watford. Was sporting a cheap knock off Chang kit that I bought off a street vendor in Cambodia. This Austrian babe from my hostel tagged along as well. Ended up watching the match with a guy from Watford who was also visiting, nice bloke. There was also this big chested Geordie girl who was absolutely everything you would imagine she would be who was "flirting" with both myself and my female hostel mate. She ended up going home with some German guy I think.

Anyways I think its finished in a draw, but regardless it was quite the memorable experience. Didn't kick off until 9 or 10 pm local either.

Last edited:
Watched the second half of us at home to Watford last season at the top of the Rocafeller Centre in New York - best sight to be seen was Digne’s last minute freekick!

Not me but my Dad. It is however my first conscious memory of Everton. When I was small we lived in Nigeria, my Dad had a job there and we were there for as couple of years. I vividly remember him tuning in to the World Service in our house in Lagos, to listen to the 1966 Cup Final, It was red hot - he was wearing an Everton scarf and hat that my Nan in Liverpool had sent to him. I was 5.

I've usually managed to find bars to watch Everton while on holiday in a few European destinations but nothing too exotic.

Can’t beat the pirates story though!!!
Had a couple of good ones away in France at different times. The cup run in 79/80 season getting updates/commentary on World Service alone in my little student room in Strasbourg. That was boss.
Ringing home from a restaurant in Paris for updates on the West Ham semi final replay! Not so boss!
Being in the middle of nowhere in Burgundy for the Soton semi final. New it had gone to ET but did not get result until about 11pm my time when Mme Allezlesbleus got back from match
Ringing home during the 4-4 vs RS to hear our 4th equaliser go in. Me Allezlesbleus going mental so she couldn’t talk and put phone down!!!!
Bayern home I was training with Sunday team in Claremont High School near Wembley. Heard 0-1 just as we were changing then listened to second half on Walkman in Blackbird pub on North Circular. Jumped for joy when 3rd went in and looked round at whole pub staring at me!!!! They couldn’t hear the commentary on the Walkman of course and thought I was a nutter!!!!
Getting updates from sideline of Rapid Vienna score every time I went across to take a throw in division decider!!! Had not been allowed time off work to go!!! Thought no problem, there will be others..... grrrr.
On campsite in France listening to BBC Radio commentary when we beat Man Utd 3-0 at OT early in season. Had been asked by MU fan to tell him the score at the end!! Sweet
@allezlesbleus will have a few tales I bet ;) :)

moment!!!

watched the 2-2 draw with Watford last season on ym phone, lying in bed in a campervan in Australia. Think it must have been about 6am.. that van was rocking when Digne put the last minute free kick in the top corner, locals must have thought I was getting lucky with a French man called Lucas!

I remember watching in Egypt ,in Sharm and it was against Arsenal .We lost 7-0 spoiled the whole fortnight .That and some Russian guy thinking he owned the bar and it was all inclusive!

Popped into a bar called the cavern in Salou, Spain and watched the Andy Johnson Derby.

There was also a bar in the town called the Shankly, and there were reports the next day that in the evening all the reds turned on each other, and were scrapping. Good times.

Flew to New York, wife found a live sport channel, turned it on and Everton Burnley from last season was about to kick off so watched the whole game live during the flight.

Was in Chiang Mai Thailand after studying abroad in grad school and went to a British pub there for the opening game of the 16-17 season against Watford. Was sporting a cheap knock off Chang kit that I bought off a street vendor in Cambodia. This Austrian babe from my hostel tagged along as well. Ended up watching the match with a guy from Watford who was also visiting, nice bloke. There was also this big chested Geordie girl who was absolutely everything you would imagine she would be who was "flirting" with both myself and my female hostel mate. She ended up going home with some German guy I think.

Anyways I think its finished in a draw, but regardless it was quite the memorable experience. Didn't kick off until 9 or 10 pm local either.

Was 2-2, you’re correct. First game I took my girlfriend to, convincing her to come with the promise of a weekend in Chester and dinner at the Grosvenor. After 15 minutes she looked at the Watford fans and said “those yellow people seem to be having a much better time”. After 30 minutes she said “are you going to sulk and ruin the whole weekend?” Thank god we didn’t lose!

Probably in an off the beaten track roadside bar in Dominican Republic. I was the only person in the bar and a young kid appeared pestering me wanting to shine my suede trabs. I had to pay him to clear off

on the copacabana beach , Rio 85 listening to the match fella kept pointing to my radio, thought he was trying to tell me to turn it down !! thought behave yourself mate can only just hear it myself , after a while he come's over and tells me to keep a hand on the radio or it would be carried off by a local !!! great days and we beat Sunderland 4-1

First one was in Menorca 89, stood in a phone booth with me dad on the line to his mate at home, who had a radio held to the phone so we could listen to the last 20 minutes of the FA cup final.
Second one, moving to Northern Australia and watching Barclay score third away to Newcastle 10 hours after landing, sureal, half pissed and jetlagged.

Status
Not open for further replies.