Weird and wonderful places youve tuned into an Everton match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few years ago was waiting in a very long immigration queue at Washington DC airport, my brother pointed out the Tv screens around were showing Everton. Made the wait after a long flight a bit more bearable

I've streamed audio comms from Daz in some odd places...the Phoenix Open golf tournament, driving through the middle of literally nowhere on the Navajo reservation up in the 4 corners area of Arizona/Utah/Colorado/New Mexico. Tons of road trips, actually...since kickoff here is usually between 4-8AM. If the upcoming Man City game was on Sunday instead of Saturday I'd possibly be streaming it on a flight to D.C. I've listened in from a lot of places over the years, being so far away.

Binning the wife and kids to watch us draw 0-0 with Wigan this pre-season in Hammond's bar, Costa Teguise, Lanzarote is about as exotic as I get.

Was in the Philippines in February 2016 and managed to get the official site for the Sunderland game on one of the rare times I was able to access wifi in the village where I was staying. Was weird listening to an Everton game at 10 at night.

Very early last Monday morning (NZL time) at 37,000 feet, just before crossing the Australian coast on our way back to Auckland in business class with Emirates. Makes the flight extraordinarily tense when watching Everton live!

Watched the derby one year in Thailand in a little village accessed on Elephant. stayed at someones house on stilts, where no-one spoke any English except our interpreter who we called 'John Barnes' as that was all he knew about Merseyside. He just kept saying 'John Barnes, John Barnes' over and over. Don't remember the game - cant have been that good. I was surprised the house had electricity let alone live football on a tiny TV.

I listened to the 1989 FA Cup final on the world service at Faraday base, just off the Antarctic peninsula whilst fitting out a marine biology lab for The British Antarctic Survey...

Mate talk about priorities. You shoulda git home for that game.

Great thread.

I was in Roadtown in the British Virgin Islands over Christmas a few years ago. There had been a hell of a storm there a few weeks before I'd arrived and most of the power was still out on the island. We'd been on a tour of an old slavery plantation in the morning, but I knew I needed to find a TV / radio or somewhere with decent signal / wifi to watch or listen to the derby in the afternoon.

I walked for about 3 or 4 miles trying to find a bar or something showing the Footy and was stopped by an old guy who genuinely called himself 'Uncle Ben' after the rice! He started trying to flog me 'aloe vera' for sunburn - having been to the Caribbean before, this generally leads to a conversation about Marijuana - I politely said no but he was a really nice fella who asked where I was headed, told him I was a blue and was looking for somewhere showing the Merseyside Derby.

He ended up walking me down this side street to his 'cousins' house. Long story short, I ended up sat on a porch in a weather-beaten old shack with Uncle Ben and a guy called Randy, huddled around a tiny portable TV watching the second half of the derby. It was the 2016 Goodison derby where Mane scored late on, so wasn't a particularly good game but I always remember those guys.

That was a brilliant story completely ruined at the end by Everton... that.

That was a brilliant story completely ruined at the end by Everton... that.

It's a really interesting place, the BVI. Lot's of poverty and it's frequently battered by hurricanes and tropical storms, but the people were amazing and when the sun shines, it's one of the most beautiful places in the world. You can see why Richard Branson bought one of the islands there. Incidentally, Boris Johnson visited there a couple of years ago and he made a statement that 'it reminds me of Hiroshima after the bomb'..... classy as ever!

Also, a little nugget about that story, 'Randy' was actually a tour guide on the island who was on his day off. He was in his late 50's and, while we were watching the game, he told me about being employed to guide Sir Trevor Macdonald around the island in the mid 90's for a piece for ITV. He said he was interviewed for British television but said he wasn't sure whether it made the final cut.

Last edited by a moderator:
The famous Wimbledon game, I was at an exhibition in Milano - business was always ahead of footie. No such thing as a mobile phone, or text or internet, I was dialing in to one of those premium numbers from Milano every bloody five minutes.

My brother and I were dancing around the stands in a major exhibition after the result, no-one understood why - but we were as happy as Larry. Got slaughtered that night. Happy Daze!

Status
Not open for further replies.