Weird and wonderful places youve tuned into an Everton match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seven or eight years ago a headcase mate of mine had his lovely Mercedes sport packed up on him over near Hull. A tow truck pulled it off the motorway to a local garage for repairs, but he was skint. So he hitches home, borrows a transit van and comes to our house to ask if he will go back to Hull and snatch his car back from this local garage. I initially refused, so in desperation his mate offered me the loan of the car for a week when he got it fixed.

His car was lush, so I leapt at the chance. When we got there he whips out the shortest tow rope I have ever seen and connects the Merc to the transit van. Then we did a runner, gets onto the motorway, and I listened to the match while doing about 75-80 mph barely two foot from the back of the van towing me. No idea who the match was against, I was in a state of extreme anxiety in case he chose to brake and I slammed his merc into the back of the van. I literally couldn’t see beyond the back doors of the van, even the vans back windows had that silver film on them!

Happy days :)

Last week in Mexico was amazing.

Sat in the Sports Bar with a few Evertonians who also came to watch the Wolves game, all inclusive ale, 9am in the morning!

Made even sweeter because there were Wolves fans there in their replica kits and, get on this, one even brought black and gold balloons!!! To a bar on holiday! Needless to say I celebrated the final whistle in his immediate vacinity.

The first 2 games of this season I watched the in vancouver the 3 o clock kickoffs in UK were at 7 am there, it was weird having the possibility of Everton wrecking your day before you're even out of bed.

As an ex squaddie I have watched/listened to the mighty blues in some exotic and not so exotic places from the Falkland Islands to Iraq, but the one that sticks out is 1986 Cup Final as I was on exercise and was sent back to camp on Friday to pick up some more maps, when I was loaded and sneaked a quick shower I attempted to leave camp but was told not exercise vehicles were allowed to travel on a weekend.

I was absolutely chuffed I was getting to see the game (irrespective of the result) but was dreading the bollocing I was going to get for not getting the maps back on time.

Got back mid morning on the Monday full of apologies to be told by my boss to calm down, he knew I was a blue and how much the game meant to me and sent me back for maps that where not needed and that I would not make it in time so be stranded near a TV.

Never really liked this guy when I first started working for him but I was young and judgement was poop, after that nothing was too difficult.

Close the thread we have a winner, what an awesome place to have been to.
Get on this then; I was there for 8 months working as the joiner and while I was there a tourist ship (Linblad explorer) visited the base, on board was Hollywood superstar James Stewart in his role as president of The National Geographic Society. We all met him and had our pictures took with him and his wife Gloria.... unbelievable but true!

I listened to the 1989 FA Cup final on the world service at Faraday base, just off the Antarctic peninsula whilst fitting out a marine biology lab for The British Antarctic Survey...
Same day, same game I was watching in an illegal bar in Ryadh under constant fear of a raid by the religious police - adds a bit of spice, as if it were needed!

@Diogenes the Cynic didn't you catch a game or two in a Thai gulag?

I don't know if I missed any games when I was in the jail but I wasn't in too long and Everton would have made a bad situation utterly catastrophic.

I do know that every time I tried to convert my Thai friends to Everton and we watched them together we were absolute toilet.

I am in a converted barn in the arse end of nowhere in Wallonia in Belgium
There’s a dog outside permanently running figure 8 patterns and barking it’s head off at the cockerel who occasionally screeches obscenities back in pure chicken speak
The farmers wife leaves apples at my door ant the farmer looks like a serial killer in a bad day .....
Thank god for sky go

Status
Not open for further replies.