Pickford or Howard?

Better keeper of the two please?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm sorry, this one I have to laugh at. Howard made 16 saves in a single world cup match at one point. No keeper had made more than 13. He made stops that Pickford could not have made at the world cup on more than one occassion as he was considerably more athletic. He was never great positionally and certain had his share of mistakes in his later years, but come on. Howard was a stud at the world cup twice.

No just no...anyone of us could have made those saves that day. Just because they had a lot of shots on target doesn't mean they were any good.

Timmy was however a solid keeper and did occasionally have a really good game but he was also a one man blooper factory.

One of the crappeat arguements going at for Howard that match.
They still lost and Belgium kept shooting right at him.
Those that like him will say he had the record and poisitioned himself very well to make those saves, which he honestly did if were looking at the angles he took. Those that don’t will say what you said, even though positioning is part of it.

Also, just so we’re clear, here’s what you said at the time.
18723A10-F67E-4AFD-AE27-C1CAAA375AF8.jpeg

Howard was a good player until his decline and he was here 2 years too long. Then everyone like you turned on him, and fair enough. He had to go. If you look through the Howard thread though, including some of your own posts, bar the last two years he was here there’s the odd negative post but most of it’s positive.

This whole thread is pointless. Howard left years ago already. We might just as well have Pickford vs Martyn, or Pickford vs Robles. Or Richarlison vs. Pienaar.

I will dig through the vaults though as this kind of conversation is annoying and I’m bored.

If Timmy was that good SAF would have never sold him to us - a shot stopper - never commanded his area - stuck to his line like glue, and did star jumps ..... Robles was better than him in his last three seasons ......
Pickford is still learning, England no 1- in front of him so far he has a far worse defence than Timmy ever had.......

Oh my God, I'd done my very very best to forget about this.

Spent the train journey back claiming Neville was at fault and Howard wasn't. Saw it on MOTD and wanted to jump out the bedroom window.

At one point, Howard was decent. Then he wasn't. And the bit where he wasn't sticks out more than when he was good because he was really bad. Like, really bad.

No just no...anyone of us could have made those saves that day. Just because they had a lot of shots on target doesn't mean they were any good.

Timmy was however a solid keeper and did occasionally have a really good game but he was also a one man blooper factory.
He played more than that game in the World Cup though.

But agreed in him as a keeper. Frankly, I wouldn't put him ahead of a couple of the US keepers in terms of all time greats, but he was pretty good when he first came to Everton. Inconsistent tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.