FC BATE vs Everton - 1 Oct 09 UEFA Europa League

Status
Not open for further replies.
And whoever that defensive midfielder is has to play alongside Jack Rodwell, it's as simple as that really. We can't afford to not play him, when we get the ball down it's Jack Rodwell who controls everything. As the Wigan, Sigma, AEK Athens and Blackburn games have shown.

If Rodwell's a massive gamble in certain games then what are the players around him? He's turned up more than Osman, Cahill and Fellaini this season. Until Arteta and Neville are back he has to play.

But play him against a team that have a strong physical presence and hussle him, he doesnt have the experience to deal with it.

Not a stab at the lad because experience leads to how to deal with that. And, yeah he has to play. Just dont be expecting him to deliver all the time because he's not 100% the finished article yet, or rely on him to be Mr Steel when our backs are against it.

But play him against a team that have a strong physical presence and hussle him, he doesnt have the experience to deal with it.

Not a stab at the lad because experience leads to how to deal with that. And, yeah he has to play. Just dont be expecting him to deliver all the time because he's not 100% the finished article yet, or rely on him to be Mr Steel when our backs are against it.

He's still alot better on the ball than the players he's competing with at the moment, whether he's being hassled by opposition players or not. Wigan and Blackburn are physical sides, in both games he was one of our stand out players.

I think it's more a case of boot it over his head and we won't see the best of him, play it on the floor, pass the ball, create space and more than not he can do the buisness.

He's not the finished article, I know that, but he's turned up alot more than his fellow experienced midfielders and is a must in the side, because he's the only one who can control a game when we get it down and play.

I certainly wouldn't take him out for a defensive player, we'd be even more unbalanced. If someone comes in for Rodwell it'd have to be one of Bilyaletdinov, Pienaar or Osman.

Noticed a couple of times during the Portsmouth game when we were attacking but Jack had stayed back he was in the right place at the right time to try and stop their counter attacks.

He's still alot better on the ball than the players he's competing with at the moment, whether he's being hassled by opposition players or not. Wigan and Blackburn are physical sides, in both games he was one of our stand out players.

I think it's more a case of boot it over his head and we won't see the best of him, play it on the floor, pass the ball, create space and more than not he can do the buisness.

He's not the finished article, I know that, but he's turned up alot more than his fellow experienced midfielders and is a must in the side, because he's the only one who can control a game when we get it down and play.

I certainly wouldn't take him out for a defensive player, we'd be even more unbalanced. If someone comes in for Rodwell it'd have to be one of Bilyaletdinov, Pienaar or Osman.

Rodders has fantastic abilty it has to be said and will be a top player. Its stretching it a bit to say hes made more of an impact then Fellaini, Cahill or Neville for me. Yes Rodders can do things the others cant but they do an awfull lot that he cant at this stage too. The difference being those players have proved they can do it consistently over a season and against a varient of opposition. Rodders can be sublime for parts of games but anonomys for large parts of it in a lot of games. He has awsome potential, but still requires the platform to be given to him and cant impact on the game for 90 mins with or without the ball, as much as he will in the future or others can at present - thats only fair given his given his age and expierence - he will get there no doubht, but hes far from undropable or reached comparitibale standard of consistency with some our midfeilders, in fact i think we are coming to a point that a breather from the team maybe good for him.

Last edited:
The way I see it is that he's playing as a defensive midfielder, but the key things for that role he just hasnt got yet or finessed. Against teams that allow him space, dont play as direct, like the ball along the floor, he excells - which is why in Europa I think he'll shine in the majority of the games. His touch, control, passing, composure, all top quality.

He generally plays with Cahill. Cahill is a attacking midfielder so playing in a central midfield role hinders his full game. He's there because he can hussle and tackle as well as get forward when he sees it, which is rarely. Cahill isnt creative from midfield, all he tends to do is run like a headless chicken IMO.

So it seems to me that maybe Rodwell needs to play more centrally and pushed forward more because I dont feel he adds defensive security in the midfield. That's not to say he cant break up play or stop attacks, he can against probably lesser
sides, but he's not a rock I think the team needs.

I think we're getting bullied too much now. Even though we beat teams like Blackburn, they still IMO disrupted and bullied us. Portsmouth did the same. I wouldnt class Wigan as a workhorse side at the moment as they have some creative players, even then we scraped through. Burnley bullied us. Im dreading playing against Chelsea, Citeh or Spurs because they have players that can bully teams.

This is not all Roddwell's fault, for balance I would play him. But what I would want to try his Heitinga or Neill in the DM role just for added steel with Rodwell in front. Rodwell would be better suited to a team like a Man United or Arsenal that have players that can keep the ball and use it. Our team isnt fully there to do that so his game isnt fully rounded yet (which is only understandable). Even then I'd probably drop Rodwell for Neil or Heitinga in we were playing Ossie in the CM role depending on the team.

I think I see it more as adding strong defensive qualities to compensate the lack of creativity in central midfield. Also to add reasurances to any "creative" midfielder we have playing in CM.

Basically would be something like this -

Heitinga/Neill
Osman Rodwell Bily
Cahill​

Probably more of a gamble, I dont know. Im guessing Im worried about Pip not playing. I'll probably me more assured if we had a Pip like player delivering justice on the pitch.

Rodders has fantastic abilty it has to be said and will be a top player. Its stretching it a bit to say hes made more of an impact then Fellaini, Cahill or Neville for me. Yes Rodders can do things the others cant but they do an awfull lot that he cant at this stage too. The difference being those players have proved they can do it consistently over a season and against a varient of opposition. Rodders can be sublime for parts of games but anonomys for large parts of it in a lot of games. He has awsome potential, but still requires the platform to be given to him and cant impact on the game for 90 mins with or without the ball, as much as he will in the future or others can at present - thats only fair given his given his age and expierence - he will get there no doubht, but hes far from undropable or reached comparitibale standard of consistency with some our midfeilders, in fact i think we are coming to a point that a breather from the team maybe good for him.

I'm talking about this season, he's turned up more than Osman, Cahill and Fellaini and has been better in most games. He isn't as proven as those players but we are talking about the present day, not last season.

The only one who can do an awful lot more than Rodwell out of your list is Phil Neville. He protects the back four better than any of our players and if he was fit, he'd be in my first choice starting eleven.

Fellaini and Cahill don't, the only thing Cahill offers is his running and workrate. Fellaini is basically a poor mans version of Rodwell, albeit a little more attacking. Rodwell betters him in most areas, in terms of protecting the back four and getting on the ball and looking to start attacks.

You just have to look at the Wigan, Sigma, Blackburn and AEK Athens games, Rodwell controlled every game mentioned and was the standout midfielder alongside Pienaar. Until that changes he deserves to be in the team.

I am aware that he's not the finished article but I struggle to see where the better option is in the position he plays. There isn't one.

I'm talking about this season, he's turned up more than Osman, Cahill and Fellaini and has been better in most games. He isn't as proven as those players but we are talking about the present day, not last season.

The only one who can do an awful lot more than Rodwell out of your list is Phil Neville. He protects the back four better than any of our players and if he was fit, he'd be in my first choice starting eleven.

Fellaini and Cahill don't, the only thing Cahill offers is his running and workrate. Fellaini is basically a poor mans version of Rodwell, albeit a little more attacking. Rodwell betters him in most areas, in terms of protecting the back four and getting on the ball and looking to start attacks.

You just have to look at the Wigan, Sigma, Blackburn and AEK Athens games, Rodwell controlled every game mentioned and was the standout midfielder alongside Pienaar. Until that changes he deserves to be in the team.

I am aware that he's not the finished article but I struggle to see where the better option is in the position he plays. There isn't one.

Hetinga or Lucas Neil?

Rodwell certainly does more defencively than 2 attacking midfielders. But we dont know what he's like compared to 2 defensive players we have in the team able to play there. Problem is, Rodwell knows that position for the team better ie Neil is new to the squad, Heitinga is fresh in the premiership.

Im not saying drop the lad. But I do feel we need some strength depending on the teams we're playing. The Portsmouth game was torturous to watch for me as we looked weak physically, out played most the time, and out hussled. Not Rodders fault, but I wouldnt mind seeing what other players can do in terms of breaking play up.

I don't think Lucas Neill's ever played there to be honest, certainly not at this level. He's a right back who can play centre back and left back.

Heitinga would probably be an option seeing as Moyes has used him there but he didn't look good against Portsmouth, Portsmouth where cutting right through him. I'm not sure it's a position he's that experienced in either, I wouldn't be against him being given a go there though.

I'd have no problem with us introducing a more defensive player into the side but it has to be alongside Rodwell, not Cahill or Fellaini. Simply because he's got alot more ability on the ball than the players mentioned and it's vital that we have someone who can pick a pass and show some creative intent.

I don't think Lucas Neill's ever played there to be honest, certainly not at this level. He's a right back who can play centre back and left back.

Heitinga would probably be an option seeing as Moyes has used him there but he didn't look good against Portsmouth, Portsmouth where cutting right through him. I'm not sure it's a position he's that experienced in either, I wouldn't be against him being given a go there though.

I'd have no problem with us introducing a more defensive player into the side but it has to be alongside Rodwell, not Cahill or Fellaini. Simply because he's got alot more ability on the ball than the players mentioned and it's vital that we have someone who can pick a pass and show some creative intent.

Im sure Heitinga played there for Ajax and started for Athletico at DM before dropping back, could be wrong. Think he needs 1 position to master in the prem to adjust to the pace etc. Im sure Neill said he can play DM, could be wrong too.

I did say push Rodwell more centrally. But I've always said it revolves around the type of game, the more physical and agressive the game the more Rodwell isnt the man you need. Its more of a gamble to us Heitinga too with the limited options being he's adjusting to the prem.

Tricky thing. Also scary IMO. On paper the 4 clean sheets and so many wins looks good, but the reality for me is against slightly better opposition we'll be fooked. The prem performances havent been good enough IMO and a big reason for me is that we look lightweight in the midfield (and I dont think Distin and Yobo are working too well).

Im guessing injuries is the main part and we cant do anything but keep the faith in young Jacko.

Rodwell is out anyway according to Virgin Sport:

Everton midfielder Jack Rodwell has been ruled out of Thursday night's Europa League match against BATE Borisov in Minsk.
The teenager is suffering from flu-like symptoms and joins Steven Pienaar (knee) on the sidelines.
And Heitinga and Neill can't play, if the previous discussion was about this match.

Rodwell is out anyway according to Virgin Sport:

And Heitinga and Neill can't play, if the previous discussion was about this match.

If that's the case.....we are well and truely. ****ED!

What we gonna have?

Howard
Hibbert Yobo Distin Baines
Gosling Fellaini Billy
Osman
Cahill
Jo

Or

Howard
Osman Fellaini Cahill Billy
Jo Yak/Saha

If that's the case.....we are well and truely. ****ED!

What we gonna have?

Howard
Gosling Fellaini Billy
Osman
Cahill
Jo

Or

Howard
Osman Fellaini Cahill Billy
Jo Yak/Saha

Saha is also suspended, just to improve your mood.

The OS says this is the official travelling squad:

Carlo Nash, Tim Howard, Tony Hibbert, Leighton Baines, Sylvain Distin, Joseph Yobo, Diniyar Bilyaletdinov, Jack Rodwell, James Wallace, Jose Baxter, Jo, Leon Osman, Tim Cahill, Marouane Fellaini, Yakubu, Kieran Agard, Shane Duffy, Shkodran Mustafi.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.