Homepage Article Duncan Ferguson “Won’t Ask For The Job”

Status
Not open for further replies.
The intenisty of that crowd cant be maintained. Royle got that against Liverpool first game, but he was tactically astute (a very underestimated maanger in that respect). We KNEW he had that to fall back on when we signed him up from Oldham.

Experience is needed for a club like this. If an ex-player wants to manage us, let them go and prove they have the skill set. We aren't an orginasiation that can afford to go on gut reactions. This league will slaughter those decisions.

WTF use is Brands if we go to a coach without experience? If that happens then you have to wonder why we have that feller around at all.

We need cool decsision making here, not decisions based on the fantasy outcomes dreamed up by a generation of Evertonians who have never experienced success other than the 95 cup win. They are the last people who should have input into who gets this Everton job.

Again all fair points, particularity Royle having had relative success elsewhere, but i think if you were appointing someone like say Chris Hughton - bringing an unfancied club up and then back down etc like Royle did, these days (about the stature Royle was at when he came) there would be little appetite, history and hindsight though. Yet two of our best recent managers in Moyes and Royle came from teams that were in the lower leagues when they came, we need to be creative and open minded in our appointment, because something is not working with the decision making of the club.

Again, i think a manager does need experience to manage it long term, but it depends on the experience you mean at the moment and that is cirtical in my opinion. Will a manager who just wants to manage in the PL after doing well with Fernabache or Olympiacus, understand, the club, fans, galvanise it and do everything to protect the life blood of it, im not sure. Then you look at understanding the club, pre existing relationships with the players and club staff, no need to "assess the squad" etc, its an experience of an apt type we might need as we dont have infinite time, 14 games into the season heading into the busiest period, its an experience Ferguson has. We dont have time for a manager to cut his teeth, especially one with no experience of this league.

As for cool decision making i agree, do i have trust in those making the appointment, no i dont, Koeman, Sam and Silva, its all just been moving chairs around on the titanic and costing a fortune to get worse, that is my chief concern. Its why im not saying Ferguson is the answer long term, but i dont trust those who are making decisions to come up with a better alternative, so im open minded on the short sample yesterday i didnt dislike what i saw.

Im not naive either if we stuck i think its a tough, tough job and the euphoria of yesterday would evaporate, but i liked what i saw yesterday, how sustainable it is we will see.

Macro i think you are right in your thought process, micro im open minded due to the points i mention above and have little trust in those who have appointed our most recent managers.

Last edited:
It’s a travesty that there’s such a disconnenct between the generations, my dad is the same with regards to the 80s team. About the Pace of Ratcliffe and Big Nev and Sheedy banging in free kicks and fingering the kop. I hope one day we can reach that again, with some school of science flair ;)
Can’t remember who I was listening to the other day but he said we where beating the RS 2-0 and Rush was driving forward in the last few minutes and Nev saved it and everyone was gutted as every time Rush scores they never lost and they wanted to change that.. now we pray they didn’t score cos we know we lose if they scored

He hasn't managed this team yet. A manager who has gets that leeway. Yesterdays win was all about a once only created atmosphere.

How do people not get that ^^^ ?

Credit to him for yesterday, that was a little bit reminiscent of Royle's Dogs of War, just what we needed. First time in a very long time watching the blues had brought a smile to my face. Looked like he had everyone playing and running through brick walls for him. But we rode our luck in the first half and I'm not sure how successful playing that way would be long term. I agree with those who posted Dunc needs to go away and earn another opportunity. Lampard, Gerrard, Sol Campbell, Lee Bowyer etc have all dropped down the leagues to learn their trade. Howe, Wilder, Dyche, Potter etc have all done the same.

Yesterday was badly about the points and that is the most significant thing, those 3 points of Chelsea are points other teams arent going to get and they mitigate points dropped against your Norwich's etc.

Yesterday was energising and its difficult to put a price on momentum in sport, its key as a confidence booster, we ride that train for as long as possible and have bought a bit of time with our next appointment.

Its important to be open minded, if we start pulling off results or look comfortable toward hitting 40 as we go, id be open minded on a short term contract to the end of the season for Dunc. Thats largely based on no one in the market we are linked with inspiring me much and if we got to the summer market with a competent caretaker in place that might be a better situation, or rather we had someone internally we could use to inhabit the space a caretaker Moyes would for a couple of million, would be ideal.

Logic would dictate hes not the answer and the bounce will have a time line, but wouldn't it be nice, i know its nostalgia but shades of Joe Royles first game all those years ago yesterday, sometimes all thats needed is confidence and desire and facilitating that. There is a trend at the moment with Ole and Lampard at bringing back a former hero to galvinise a club, with mixed results and very much a theory still to be proven, a trend none the less.

It would be nice, but the clever play at the moment is keeping all options open and preparing for any scenario.
Spot on thta! I think the major difference between Ole, Frank and Duncan is that the former have several players who can bang the goals in, we do not. so that when th enemy manager bounce wears off ( as it did with Ole, and is currently doing with Frank), they had the strikers to fire them out of the trough. I suspect that if we dipped badly, we wouldn’t have the available firepower to get us out of it again quickly enough to save Duncan’s job.

The main thing for me is any prospective managers will have seen what our players are capable of If properly motivated. And for that Duncan deserves some credit!

The board have moved on already. Probably.
They will only appoint Duncan for the season if all other targets fail.
Right now, they will have been contacting their short listed candidates and see who is interested in talking.

The important part of yesterday is that the players can put in a performance for the right man.
But then they have to do it week in, week out.

Spot on thta! I think the major difference between Ole, Frank and Duncan is that the former have several players who can bang the goals in, we do not. so that when th enemy manager bounce wears off ( as it did with Ole, and is currently doing with Frank), they had the strikers to fire them out of the trough. I suspect that if we dipped badly, we wouldn’t have the available firepower to get us out of it again quickly enough to save Duncan’s job.

The main thing for me is any prospective managers will have seen what our players are capable of If properly motivated. And for that Duncan deserves some credit!
Plus both Lampard and Ole have managed else where for 1 season and more in Ole case

I agree. I think this is a tougher job than Chelsea and MU.
It was only a few days ago many fans didn't consider us having any decent centre forwards of Prem quality.
What we don't know is have we had a honeymoon yesterday, or a taste of the future?
The next few games will be crucial.

Plus both Lampard and Ole have managed else where for 1 season and more in Ole case
Yes mate, and Duncan himself said he was a coach, not a manager. I do get the clamour for him to get the job, it has been dire recently and yesterday was a world away from being dire, but I would rather we bring in a top coach, and if Duncan is retained to sit by their side I won’t have any issues with that (although he would be better stopping down the league to manager a club for the experience imo).

I hope thta Brands is given free rein to choose and appoint the next boss, if he is t, he should walk out! That way, good or bad, we all know who is to be praised or pilloried!

Status
Not open for further replies.