Dominic King Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zatara

Player Valuation: £90m
Interesting article from Dominic King today...also posting a Brands artlcle from Toffeeweb below:

Lunchtime on the River Mersey and there, on the horizon, is the symbol of hope. Everton's embryonic new stadium on Bramley-Moore Dock looks majestic, a spectacular addition to an already iconic skyline.

The idea that this £500million development will one day provide a stage for the club to play in the biggest games has had supporters dreaming for years but, today, as the Mersey Ferry meanders towards it, dreaming is the last thing anyone wants to do.

Andrew Griffiths, a Blue who had made the four-hour journey from his home in Aberdare, south Wales on Thursday for their defeat by Newcastle, is sitting on deck, wearing a blue hat and jersey. By his side are two bags packed with the fruits of an expedition to the club shop Everton Two in Liverpool
One.

He is with his wife, Sally, but their mood is reflective of the state of play. The biggest relegation in the Premier League era - the biggest relegation since Manchester United in 1974 - is now a probability, rather than a possibility. Why dream when a living nightmare is unfolding?

Football is everything in this city. It governs the mood, dictates the atmosphere. The idea that there may not be a competitive derby for the first time since 1962 is an outrage but that is where we are. Like the Royal Iris that carries us on our journey, Everton literally are heading down the river.
It's going to be the best stadium in the Championship, isn't it?' Andrew says, glumly, looking at Bramley-Moore.

We won't win another game this season. I can't see it now. The atmosphere was good against Newcastle but then they scored and it went out the window.
'It's just terrible and it's all about the board. They have ripped the soul out of the club.
'Everything that we stood for has gone. It's not a club - it's a family. That's what makes Everton different and special. To move forward, we need a new start and a new board.'
Soul is arguably the best word to associate with Everton. When everything is good, you can feel it deeply inside. There is authenticity and passion and when it is in sync, with management, players and supporters aligned, you sit inside Goodison Park and feel they can beat anyone.

But over time, fans have been worn down and as Newcastle took advantage of the chaos, it felt like their soul had been killed.

A constant cycle of bad decisions from the board, a raft of performances that have been an affront - there is only so much misery people can take.
It could have all been so different, of course. When Farhad Moshiri became majority shareholder in 2016, his plan initially was to recruit Unai Emery and Monchi, the coach and sporting director who had led Sevilla to three Europa Leagues, following the sacking of Roberto Martinez.
With grand ambitions and the money to back up the plans, intermediaries were asked to explore the potential of making the first two signings ones that would make people sit up and take notice - they were asked to see how feasible it would be to sign Isco and Raphael Varane from Real Madrid.

Monchi met Moshiri at his residence in Mayfair but, after discussions, went cold on the idea of leaving Spain. Emery ended up joining Paris Saint-Germain and Everton, instead, appointed Ronald Koeman as manager and Steve Walsh as director of football.
The history of what followed has been well documented but nothing jars more than this, especially at a time when Everton are the lowest scoring team in the four professional divisions with 25 goals from their 33 games.
Everyone knew Romelu Lukaku was going to leave in the summer of 2017 but how can it be that they have signed 10 strikers in the time since for a combined total of £145.1m and yet are still so impoverished in attack?
Not being able to score is one of the reasons they are clinging on to their top-flight status by their fingertips. It often gets said Everton missed the chance to sign Erling Haaland when he was playing for Molde but, again, the reality is different.
Walsh spoke to Molde about how much the then 16-year-old Haaland would cost — Mail Sport understands it would have been more than £5m — and he was invited over to watch a Europa League game against Atalanta in November 2017 (Everton lost 5-1) but it never progressed as far as discussing personal terms.
Lukaku has never been replaced adequately and the culmination of it all was the January window, when the current director of football Kevin Thelwell had an exhaustive but fruitless month trying to land all manner of players from Danny Ings to Arnaut Danjuma but fell short.
Everton can't score in the Premier League and it was symptomatic of where they are at that a training game against Chester, from the National League North turned into another incident where negative headlines engulfed them.
The exercise was to get minutes for Dominic Calvert-Lewin and while they dominated possession in the fixture at Finch Farm, the club's training base, they ended up losing 1-0, being hit with a late sucker-punch.
Dyche insisted the result was not on his mind and things would have been different had Calvert-Lewin not hit the bar in the fourth minute but, still, not being able to break down a part-time team who were missing key players of their own highlighted shortcomings.

Such was the anger on transfer deadline night, a group of fans waited outside Finch Farm to vent their fury. The levels of emotion were so high that officials needed to use a secret road to exit out of the back of the facility in their cars but it still led to some of them being pursued.
That was an incident where the threat of someone overstepping the mark was real but what has been a travesty is the idea, first perpetuated in January, that fans were somehow to blame for the root cause of the club's problems. It is insulting, not to mention unfair.
But the moment that the board of directors, headed by Moshiri, chairman Bill Kenwright and chief executive Denise Barrett-Baxendale, became embroiled in a squabble with the fans, there was never going to be an amicable resolution, not when feelings have been running so high.
Kenwright, who hasn't been to Goodison since January 3, wrote an open letter to a fan group last Friday. The timing and the tone of it all was wrong, widening division at a time when unity was needed. Nobody doubts Kenwright's passion but, equally, what about the supporters?

All they ever wanted was a team which they could be proud of, a team that mirrored their beliefs of hard work and devotion to the badge. David Moyes was a master of finding players who embodied the club's qualities but since he left a decade ago, those qualities have been diluted.

Some thought Sean Dyche's appointment in February would lead to a resurrection of what they believe in but, after the initial bounce of two wins in three games against Arsenal and Leeds, the cycle of negativity has been impossible to break, ending up with Thursday night's embarrassment. Dyche does not have a break clause in his contract if the worst materialises.
'It all began so positively,' says David Voakes in the foyer of the Titanic Hotel, which is just across the road from Bramley-Moore Dock. David had come over from Dublin on Wednesday, with his sons Cillian, 14, and Fionn, 11, to let them experience Goodison for the first time.
'We met the players here before the game. I was talking to (assistant manager) Ian Woan and the boys were laughing at me, as I was like a starstruck kid. What a lovely guy! I shook his hand, he told me the squad was in the best place it had been since Arsenal and he said we would run all over Leicester on Monday.
'But as soon as we conceded that first goal, it was like someone turned the volume down in the stadium. I think everyone had accepted our fate. The last few weeks, we had hope before Fulham and then we tried to have hope before Crystal Palace.
'There was definitely hope before Newcastle, too, and the atmosphere was unbelievable. God, it's just such a shame. I was standing in the doorway here yesterday, looking at the beautiful stadium being built, and I'm just wondering what the future holds

Everyone does. The recent publication of the yearly accounts have cast a huge shadow over Everton's future and there can be absolutely no doubt that they will face financial hardship in the Championship, if that is where they reside.

A fire sale will be necessary and men such as Calvert-Lewin, Jordan Pickford, Amadou Onana — who is the subject of interest from Arsenal, Chelsea and Newcastle — and James Tarkowski will be likely candidates to be sold, as will Jarrad Branthwaite, a promising young defender who has been on loan at PSV Eindhoven.
The construction of the stadium will continue (Everton are not scheduled to move in until the 2024-25 campaign and it might even be delayed until the following season) but the shimmering promise of it provides no comfort.
Everyone is culpable for this travesty and a tweet from an influential fan in the minutes after the Newcastle defeat articulated the feelings of the masses.
'Conmen on the board, conman in the dugout, conmen on the pitch,' they wrote.

Emotions are running high and patience has snapped. Evertonians have been let down too often, from the managers who never fully understood where they were to the players who arrived on massive contracts (James Rodriguez, for instance, was paid £275,000 a week for his one underwhelming season) and chose not to buy into what it all means.

Leicester on Monday is the next port of call. Again, the away end will be sold out, as it will be the following week at Brighton. There is, of course, still time to save themselves but if Everton were a boat, its hull would be riddled with holes. If it gets one more, it is likely to sink completely.

Brands:

Former Everton Director of Football, Marcel Brands, has spoken of how the impatience and interference by owner Farhad Moshiri made it difficult for him to perform the job he was hired to do.
Brands, brought on board from PSV Eindhoven to replace Steve Walsh at Finch Farm, amid much anticipation in 2018 resigned his post in December 2021 citing significant differences over recruitment policy following the appointment of Rafael Benitez as manager the previous June, a move the Dutchman opposed.
The Spaniard’s renowned propensity to take charge of player recruitment proved to be the final straw for Brands who stepped down after the humiliating Goodison derby during which there were calls for change at Boardroom level from many Everton supporters.
It appeared as though Brands had been an easy target given that Benitez was just six months into his tenure and there was no appetite among his fellow Board members to fall on their own swords. The former Liverpool manager would follow Brands out the door the following month, sacked following a horrendous run of results, but not before he had saddled the club with Salomon Rondon and forced Lucas Digne out in a £27m move to Aston Villa.

Speaking to NRC in his native Netherlands, Brands reiterates that he fought to keep Marco Silva in his job as head coach in December 2019 but was overruled and then recommended that Everton hire Mikel Arteta when Moshiri opted for Carlo Ancelotti. He also alludes to meetings held, in the words of NRC, "on expensive yachts and phone calls where the coach was told who to line up" on which he doesn't elaborate "out of respect" for his previous employer.

“English culture makes fans and media think that the manager is about transfers and the owner determines a lot,” explains Brands who is now back at PSV. “He wanted Rafael Benítez as coach in 2021, which was not my choice. And Benítez wanted Salomon Rondon, I couldn't approve that.
“He was already in his thirties, was not on the scouting list, he was not going to bring Everton anything. Too high salary too. I said I thought it was a bad idea. Think of it as a present for the trainer, said the owner. Then you are powerless.
“The problem is: there is no patience. Twelve coaches have already been fired in the Premier League this season. In my second year, Marco Silva was fired, I tried to prevent that, but it was beyond my control. While I knew: he is a good trainer, he is now proving that at Fulham. The owner also determined that there should be an experienced successor, while the chairman and I wanted Mikel Arteta. In the end it was Carlo Ancelotti.
“In the first years I still had the idea that I could change something at Everton but that did not work out.
“I think [the owners] want the best for the club but I firmly believe that with good policy you can achieve something. They think, 'I'm pumping money into it, so it should quickly yield success, right?' But in the Premier League everyone has a lot of money.

Based on how Monchi did at Roma, and to a lesser degree how he's done since he's gone back to Sevilla, its maybe for the best it didn't happen. Technology has moved on, and all the big clubs now know the form of every highly rated 15yo in South America and around the world, and with the use of feeder clubs can keep them away from the competition in case they turn out to be the next Zidane or similar. Its ruining the game, but neither UEFA or FIFA care as long as the bungs keep rolling in. So the model of clubs having a big team of scouts roaming the world like Monchi used to have is pretty much dead.

That article from Brands is relatively standard for failed DoF/Scouts. "I recommended all these players who turned out to be great for other clubs, but it never happened", but they don't mention the other 100 recommendations they also made that turned out to be crap for other clubs and the 30 players they recommended we sign, and turned out crap for us. The arguments about whether Silva should have been sacked or not are easy to make now, but at the time there would have been a riot if he'd been kept on for much longer. He'd lost the squad, and he'd lost his head, and giving him an extra month or two was only delaying the inevitable. He needed to be put out of his misery, and to significantly change the trajectory of results it made sense at the time to go for Ancelotti rather than Arteta. The time Arsenal have given Arteta to turn things around wouldn't have been given to him with us based upon how quickly the improvement needed to happen. Ancelotti was always likely to leave as he did, but he left us significantly better than he found us.

Don't get me wrong, I think Brands did ok in general, but equally that he wasn't snapped up by someone else before/after he was forced out, and has just returned to PSV is a sign that maybe he hasn't the capability or credibility within the football world that he thinks he does.

Based on how Monchi did at Roma, and to a lesser degree how he's done since he's gone back to Sevilla, its maybe for the best it didn't happen. Technology has moved on, and all the big clubs now know the form of every highly rated 15yo in South America and around the world, and with the use of feeder clubs can keep them away from the competition in case they turn out to be the next Zidane or similar. Its ruining the game, but neither UEFA or FIFA care as long as the bungs keep rolling in. So the model of clubs having a big team of scouts roaming the world like Monchi used to have is pretty much dead.

That article from Brands is relatively standard for failed DoF/Scouts. "I recommended all these players who turned out to be great for other clubs, but it never happened", but they don't mention the other 100 recommendations they also made that turned out to be crap for other clubs and the 30 players they recommended we sign, and turned out crap for us. The arguments about whether Silva should have been sacked or not are easy to make now, but at the time there would have been a riot if he'd been kept on for much longer. He'd lost the squad, and he'd lost his head, and giving him an extra month or two was only delaying the inevitable. He needed to be put out of his misery, and to significantly change the trajectory of results it made sense at the time to go for Ancelotti rather than Arteta. The time Arsenal have given Arteta to turn things around wouldn't have been given to him with us based upon how quickly the improvement needed to happen. Ancelotti was always likely to leave as he did, but he left us significantly better than he found us.

Don't get me wrong, I think Brands did ok in general, but equally that he wasn't snapped up by someone else before/after he was forced out, and has just returned to PSV is a sign that maybe he hasn't the capability or credibility within the football world that he thinks he does.

For me, I take the following from both

1: Moshiri wanted Monchi, Emery, Varane and Isco.

Instead we got Walsh, Koeman, Keane and Sigurdsson.

2: Lukaku was sold and never replaced. Rondon mentioned as not wanted by Brands and now we have Maupay

A huge mindblowing fall from Lukaku.

3: Expectations were to throw money around rather than have a sensible sustainable gradual rebuild.

4: Pickford, Tarkowski, Branthwaite, Onana and DCL are our in-demand players. My guess is that theres £150+mil in fees between them.

Good to see James Rodriguez weekly wage now up to 275k a week.

So, it went from initially 110k a week and has now hit the dizzying heights of 275k a week.
I'd chop my balls off for his quality now, even half a season James would probably have done enough for us to be well clear. He has more quality in his little toe than anyone we have now.

Weird though, these media personalities or however you’d describe them, we’re all gunning against the fans, and have been for as long as protests and unrest has been going on.

Now we look like we’re on the cusp of going down, they’re all out with their violins, sympathising with us. Funny that.

If you want to help us, you’ll aid us is putting pressure on the board so we can finally get the club back.

Missed the goal quite badly with that article.

No mention of Ms Dynamite being promoted to a role many levels above her experience and ability as part of fat Bills jobs-for-my-mates culture.

No mention of seat-sniffer-Sharp being inexplicably given a seat on the board whilst doing absolutely nothing.

No mention of the shun to the very FAB that the club themselves set up.

No mention of the content of Bills pathetic letter.

No mention of the fabled headlockgate.

No mention of the shady financing.

No mention of Kia the rats influence.

No mention of the travesty that was Benitez that fat Kopite pig.

No mention of the money wasted on dross like Iwobi, Bolasie, Walcott, Williams, Tosun, Schniderlin et al

3/10 for effort, detail and accuracy. Must do better.

Weird though, these media personalities or however you’d describe them, we’re all gunning against the fans, and have been for as long as protests and unrest has been going on.

Now we look like we’re on the cusp of going down, they’re all out with their violins, sympathising with us. Funny that.

If you want to help us, you’ll aid us is putting pressure on the board so we can finally get the club back.
way too late for that from the media - they should have been going after the owner. Chairman and board years ago, instead of targeting the fans.

Look how the media went after hicks and Gillette at Mordor - relentless. They will do the same to Henry before too long, but they’ve left little old Everton and it’s incompetent management well alone.

way too late for that from the media - they should have been going after the owner. Chairman and board years ago, instead of targeting the fans.

Look how the media went after hicks and Gillette at Mordor - relentless. They will do the same to Henry before too long, but they’ve left little old Everton and it’s incompetent management well alone.

Oh I know.

We were told we were the problem.
Funny that isn’t it? But once the damage we’ve all been protesting about happens, then it’ll be well… more of the same as the King article.

Glazer protest, and even FSG get more coverage than our mess. Yet it’s us who face none stop sanctions, seem helplessly doomed.

Garbage mate. Can moan all we want, this board has been dismantling us for years now, and they’ve got their “reward”.

Status
Not open for further replies.