Trevor Steven

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delighted to see ‘Tricky’ Trevor back at Goodison yesterday. My favourite player from that great team of the mid 80s. How we could do with someone with his guile and craft in our present team. Back in the day we got a measly 1.5m for him off a tribunal when he went to Rangers. Spurs got something like 5m for Chris Waddle when he went to Marseille and we asked for a similar amount, even though Steven was twice the player Waddle was. I can’t speak highly enough of what a great player he was. He wouldn’t look out of place in the current city side. For our younger fans, imagine a player with the delivery of de Bruyne and the workrate and tenacity of Bernardo Silva. That was our Tricky Trevor.

I think he was better than what you say!
One of a kind.

The current set up should watch that video. Every first or second touch the ball went forward.
Look how close Bracewell and Reid played. One making a challenge, the other picking up the loose ball.

Richy could learn a lot watching old vids of Super Trev.

Delighted to see ‘Tricky’ Trevor back at Goodison yesterday. My favourite player from that great team of the mid 80s. How we could do with someone with his guile and craft in our present team. Back in the day we got a measly 1.5m for him off a tribunal when he went to Rangers. Spurs got something like 5m for Chris Waddle when he went to Marseille and we asked for a similar amount, even though Steven was twice the player Waddle was. I can’t speak highly enough of what a great player he was. He wouldn’t look out of place in the current city side. For our younger fans, imagine a player with the delivery of de Bruyne and the workrate and tenacity of Bernardo Silva. That was our Tricky Trevor.

Tricky Trevor was a fantastic player but the comparisons with Waddle don't really help his cause.

If you are making direct comparisons then the season after Waddle left for Marseille and Steven left for Rangers they ended up in the same team at Marseille. In his 3 seasons at Marseille Waddle averaged 45 games a season and averaged 10 goals. Tricky managed 28 games and 3 goals.

It was the same story with England Waddle got 66 caps and Tricky got 36 caps.

Tricky Trevor was a fantastic player but the comparisons with Waddle don't really help his cause.

If you are making direct comparisons then the season after Waddle left for Marseille and Steven left for Rangers they ended up in the same team at Marseille. In his 3 seasons at Marseille Waddle averaged 45 games a season and averaged 10 goals. Tricky managed 28 games and 3 goals.

London bias in those days.

Waddle was a gifted player but lazy arse. Not one for tracking back helping out his full back which was something Steven was well known for.

And I don't think Waddle won a single trophy in English football either. I certainly wouldn't have swapped him for Trevor, that's for sure.

London bias in those days.

Waddle was already an England player before he joined Spurs. I think Tricky benefited from the genius of Howard. Like a lot of the players from the mid 80's he was a good player who was elevated to greatness by Howie. Steven under Kendall was far more productive during that wonderful spell than he was during his career prior to and after Everton.

It was the same with a whole host of players. Steven came from Burnley, Reid was a journeyman at Bolton, Bracewell was sold by Sunderland because they thought he wasn't good enough. Sheedy was an rs reserve. Richardson came through the ranks.

Kendall moulded them into the best midfield in Europe. As a unit they were fantastic however none of them had great careers pre or post Everton and none of them had great international careers.

There are stats to support every argument. My point was the tribunal fee we got for Steven was ridiculous compared to what Spurs got for Waddle. But Steven was a far better player then waddle. There was a bias towards London based players in the 80s the likes of Fenwick, Gary Stevens (spurs one) Steve Hodge being picked for England.

Status
Not open for further replies.