Trevor Steven

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lineker owes him a % of everything he has ever earned since the World Cup in 86 which catapulted our one season hitman to another level. We were on the verge of taking an early leave after the first two games until Robson’s injury and Wilkins red card saw Tricky brought into the side for the final must win third and final group game, to link up with his great mate Shaggy on the right hand side.

Set up the first for Lineker in his hattrick against Poland and all of a sudden England looked a team....smashed a hapless Paraguay in the first knock out round before meeting our fate against Diego in the next round.

Without Steven, England were on their way out and Lineker wouldn’t have been picking up a Golden Boot and a ticket to Barcelona. He may not see it that way though.

Steven though? Top player. Legend.

He sounded worried about Everton's plight. Players underperforming, and finding it difficult to see where the dressing room spirit can come from.
The guy who's produced 'Howard's Way' was also on but only had 5 minutes. I'm sure he'd have been expecting longer to be able to fully extol the virtues of the mid-80s sides.

Still my own favourite ever away game,what a night!!!
4E3EA6C4-22E5-4434-A100-0153BC46C24D.jpeg

Just seen quote from interview with Trevor this week about the final against Rapid Vienna and their player Hans Krankl
Think he is getting mixed up with one of the girls from the Von Trapp family in the Sound of Music.......

Hans Gretel. That was it,” he says with a tiny shrug, not even attempting to search in his head for more names. “I couldn’t tell you any of their players at all apart from Hans Gretel. I’m sure most of the players didn’t take notice of the opposition as much back in those days.”

:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.