Today ; 14 years ago @ L44EL ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
wasnt there but had it on the radio, banished memories to the area of mind associated to real scary nightmares.

i know pat you ment the team, but i had to piont out the way they acted that day, the team were a credit as you say

absolutely, link to youtube vid provided by Toffeejack is testament to the tittishness of their so called support

knocked off work early ( only about 14 i think ) i was working PT in a garden centre, couldn't get tickets so stood in Stanley Park in the trees looking into the Park End ( it was being knocked down at the time )

I was at Wembley that day, watching a mate play for Taunton Town in the FA Trophy final. Sharing a radio with a pal, who was trying to follow a Hibs game, was the worst experience ever, until we slotted the 3rd. Went nuts!

knocked off work early ( only about 14 i think ) i was working PT in a garden centre, couldn't get tickets so stood in Stanley Park in the trees looking into the Park End ( it was being knocked down at the time )

wrong day, thought it was Wimbledon.

DOH.

I remember listening to that game on the radio, and the other scores filtering thru, I think I may even have the match of the day episode on video still from the same day. Actually seems like yesterday

I was in Sheffield at uni watching this game on Eccleshall Road for anyone familiar with Sheffield.

The bar was rammed and every damn student in there was wanting us to go down. I was the only blue and never felt so far from Goodison. When Chelsea scored I swear I was the only person in a bar packed with hundreds to cheer.

Surreal atmosphere and weird after the match that I was the only one celebrating surrounded by hundreds of others. Forza L4.

I was about 7 or 8 listening to it on the radio, my dad and his mate came back with turf in their hands as well.

came out the ground when dublin scored , watched a tele sky had set up outside a house in goodison rd as jodi morris made it 2 0 for chelsea .turned round theres brian labone crying his eyes out looking over my shoulder at the screen. just got hold of him and hugged him, said were safe labby we were both crying by now . r i p the big man

awesome story fox

I'd left Liverpool some years earlier as much to get Everton out me system as for finding work.

I'd consciously ignored football and felt all the better for it but that week the relegation battles were national news and we were the focus.

We were still "big" - honest to god kids - even though dog-do on the pitch it was still huge news EVERTON were about to get relegated.

On the thursday it hit home what was about to happen, I went to the travel agents booked 2 flights to spain and Friday night the missus thought I was a god for taking her on a surprise 5 nights to Marbella.

The plan to avoid all newspapers, tv, radio etc was a winner - we'd get relegated, the fans would set Goodison on fire kill Agent Johnson but it would all be done and dusted by the time I got back and I could carry on ignoring pretending nothing had happened.

About half five on the saturday when the missus was out I broke, put the telly on and straight away the scenes from Goodison were being played - cried like a f##kin' baby.

Although we survived fear replaced expectation - we've never fully recovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.