The stench of mediocrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
But, whenever we win, if you temper that joy and try to express that even for a second - we actually didn't play that well and still got the result (like against Wolves in my opinion) - you're immediately rounded upon as being impossible to please.
That's a fair point, but it's more just an extension of what i'm saying than a rebuttal of it. Again, this side is - at best - the 7th or 8th best side in the league. They will put in performances and get results which reflect that. So when we win it doesn't mean we're back and we don't need to start telling everyone we're going to go on a mad run and finish top 4, and when we lose it doesn't mean there's something rotten at the club and we need (another) mass clearout from top to bottom.

Said it before we are the worst type of club possible for players to go to stay motivated. Most of them have either been at a higher level and have now dropped down or being at Everton is the best they can possibly hope for. Either way they are handsomely paid, so most are happy to ride the gravy train.

If the majority don't want/need to push for moves to bigger clubs or are happy being paid what they are, where is the motivation? If things are looking up and they are bothered sure they can beat teams but once there's one bad result like against Villa or when we went 3-1 down to Bournemouth, their all like 'well not going to fight for anything this year' and the performances drop again. No hunger or desire.

Nevermind Sylvester Stallone coming to Goodison we need his mate Carl Weathers to come give that Rocky 3 speech: 'There is no tomorrow' and try and get back the eye of the tiger. Without it we will be forever moaning.

We only win certain types of games and if we get a home win against one or more of the top six, that seems to be the height of it. With a cup run lasting 2 or 3 games if we're lucky, before we encounter a game and opposition that we can never seem to overcome.

The depressing thing about yesterday was the sheer predictability of not only the result but the performance and in mid September our cards are already marked for the season.

It's constant chicken and egg for this club, most would agree that the height of potential for this squad is either 7th, or some breakthrough season where we would overcome one of those sides and finish sixth.

So far with Silva, he isn't showing anything at all to suggest he is going to break that trend. There haven't been any standout results he has achieved so far that point to the potential of things taking a turn for the better as in my opinion, the home wins against Utd/Chelsea/Arsenal whilst good, were achieved in a different context and don't deserve to be lauded. That isn't to say that he doesn't have what it takes in his locker, but even at this early stage we haven't really had a hint of sustainable progress and that is a worry.

I have said it already here, I don't think it's due to a lack of ambition upstairs but we are not appealing to elite managers and neither do I buy the mixed signals we were getting about our spending prowess in the summer with the failed bids. Something doesn't add up there when we are clearly a CB and a striker short. We have spent a fortune already to no tangible effect and with a stadium to pay for, I can't see any largesse on the horizon.

It's going to take Everton getting lucky, so to speak, with a player who transcends all expectation and drags his teammates up to his level.

Tottenham were going nowhere until Bale turned into the best player in the league overnight, and they were on their arse again before Kane suddenly became a world-class striker out of nowhere.

Liverpool were struggling to qualify for the Champions League pre-Suarez, and they were nowhere near winning the title when Salah arrived and sparked what we're seeing unfold now.

The supporting cast is steadily getting better, with a handful of players that could contribute to a competitive team (Pickford, Digne, Gomes, Bernard, Richarlison and possibly Kean and Iwobi down the line), but they need someone to look to when they're up against it. This is exactly why I didn't want to see £80m spent on Zaha, who would just be another Sigurdsson or Lukaku, looking great against the teams that Everton used to beat with Cahill and Fellaini up front and Heitinga and Neville in midfield, but being completely anonymous against serious opposition.

A better manager is also needed, but there seems to be a dearth in that area when you consider who Chelsea and United have had to turn to recently.

When we sign someone like a Delph or going even further back, Neville, you mightn't see a gulf in their ability but you certainly do with their mentality. Constantly in the refs ear, talking to their team mates etc. I think the OP may be spot on, we need a manager like that to change the whole mentality of the club not just one or two players.

Indeed. A win would have taken us 3rd, and we should have approached this match like a cup final. If the players and manager and staff didn’t get paid if we lost a game, there would be a marked difference. I accept that a winning mentality is hard to foster, but every single time we are in a position to do something we manage to blow it.....

I do think there is truth to the mentality thing, right throughout the club. Wait until January arrives for example, you will have people coming out with cliche'd excuses like, "It's too difficult to conduct business in January", as if it's really easy to conduct business in the summer or something, and the fact that it might be difficult means we shouldn't try at all.

Said it before we are the worst type of club possible for players to go to stay motivated. Most of them have either been at a higher level and have now dropped down or being at Everton is the best they can possibly hope for. Either way they are handsomely paid, so most are happy to ride the gravy train.

If the majority don't want/need to push for moves to bigger clubs or are happy being paid what they are, where is the motivation? If things are looking up and they are bothered sure they can beat teams but once there's one bad result like against Villa or when we went 3-1 down to Bournemouth, their all like 'well not going to fight for anything this year' and the performances drop again. No hunger or desire.

Nevermind Sylvester Stallone coming to Goodison we need his mate Carl Weathers to come give that Rocky 3 speech: 'There is no tomorrow' and try and get back the eye of the tiger. Without it we will be forever moaning.
This is a fair point but I think what Brands has tried to do, buy young players with something to prove, is a decent way to avoid the scenarios that you describe. One of the problems our squad has it doesn't have one of those senior players that is demanding 100% from all the players all of the time. Delph is trying to do it, he ripped into a few of them on Sunday, but the other senior pros we have definitely fit one of the models described above and so don't have that demanding attitude. We also need to see that from the coaching staff as well, but they seem too passive to whip up any passion in the players. We need a proper captain and a manager that pushes every aspect of a players development. Talent is one thing but if it is not matched with desire then you're going to see results like yesterday's. It pains me to say it but Pep and Klopp have players that would run through walls for them and we can't get close to that currently.

We somehow hope to get gold for 20 or 30 million, and it ain't going to happen.

The RS needed a top keeper and CF, and they forked out nearly 150 million.

We continue to go for Sandro's , Klassen's,and William's. No surprise as regards the result yesterday.

It all went wrong when we sold Barkley
Tbh we played better with Barkley in the side than Sigs, it isn’t Sigs fault he’s a good player but playing him in this set up disjoints the team. I feel in out set up for Sigs to work he needs more pace. Answer is change the way we play but mr stubborn won’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.