The stench of mediocrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What got me was silva sitting in the dugout with a face on him for last 20 mins. The players need to look at themselves as professional getting beat by a average team. No fight from the players or the coaching team that is basic stuff.

It's most disappointing because the final few months of last season we genuinely looked as though we were ready to kick on as we weren't just fluking results against big teams, but comprehensively winning. We've had a really benign series of games to open the season and fluffed it in true Everton style. Sadly, throughout the past couple of decades, whenever we've had an opportunity to do something, we nearly always choke and blow it, so it's not really a surprise, but still it sucks, especially given we're the 3rd or 4th biggest spenders over the past couple of seasons, so really should be doing so much better. Instead, we're becoming a byword for over-spending.

I'm coming to the realisation that we really aren't as good as we think we are. What have we done in the last 6 years to prove that? Absolutely nothing. Yes on paper the squad looks good but in terms of actually playing as a team or having the will to win? We're crap. I doubt there's many who really believe that when we can compete with anyone because we never do. I knew we'd lose to Villa simply because we had the chance to go 2nd. Same with Bournemouth, because all we do is spurn opportunities. It's what Everton do. Until that changes then we'll just be the same crap club we are at the moment.

It's most disappointing because the final few months of last season we genuinely looked as though we were ready to kick on as we weren't just fluking results against big teams, but comprehensively winning. We've had a really benign series of games to open the season and fluffed it in true Everton style. Sadly, throughout the past couple of decades, whenever we've had an opportunity to do something, we nearly always choke and blow it, so it's not really a surprise, but still it sucks, especially given we're the 3rd or 4th biggest spenders over the past couple of seasons, so really should be doing so much better. Instead, we're becoming a byword for over-spending.

Those games masked over a really horrible period where we were terrible. Also, we still couldn't beat teams like Fulham at Palace when, once again, we had an opportunity to maybe finish 7th.

I don't think we would have to offer big dough to get Mourinho, he would be happy to get another chance. Don't like him but he is a winner.
He can't be doing it for the money, as he's minted...not that I expect him to turn the wages down. The job will have to be 'sold' to him.
I actually think he's not too arsed any more.
#theindifferentone

We certainly have seen some performances this season that simply are not acceptable. I think the manager must take responsibility for his team selections and for the lack of heart being shown by his players.
When I saw the team yesterday I found it hard to see how we could get a win... a draw possibly, but certainly not a win.

I think we have a gaping hole in midfield and even though our defence certainly were poor it reminds me a lot of last season when we were conceding goals and points for fun.
At the moment Seamus Coleman offers very little, Schneiderlin nothing at all and in my opinion the same can be said for Sigurdsson.
Bernard showed more spark and energy while he was on than most of the others have done all season.
I find it hard to blame the central defenders when there is so little protection from those in front of them.

I thought Digne,Iwobi, Richarlison looked lively.
I thought Delph was trying to raise the team out of a stupor but instead he ended up making silly mistakes, but at least he played with his heart on his sleeve.

In my opinion Davies and Bernard have to come into the team immediately. I think Kean is being introduced gradually and I cannot complain about that but I would like to see Tosun get a start ,if only to show that he isn't good enough but certainly those who are in instead of him are certainly not inspiring.

We have missed the boat,plain and simple,we pay a lot of money for average to decent players because we don't have the pulling power of regular European football.Get used to the occasional 7th place trophy win and the odd glimpse of the knockout stages of th EL.Maybe if we are lucky a few Semi Finals in the Flymo Cup. Just carry on supporting the team,just keep your expectations realistic.

Indeed.

We should all just be like you and shrug our shoulders.
He's got a point though. This team won't finish any higher than 7th, it's just not good enough to, and everybody should be aware of that by now. Teams that finish around 7th/8th will lose games (particularly away games) to teams that you would probably think they're better than. It's just a fact, if they didn't, they wouldn't be finishing in those positions. So why do we end up talking about sacking the manager and players having awful mentalities etc every time it happens?

Moaning about the game and result is normal, but there's a huge overreaction to games like this where everything becomes some massive soul searching exercise and everyone is called out as being an utter disgrace for daring to lose a game. It is a bit much.

Status
Not open for further replies.