The stench of mediocrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Majority of this side now is "his" team. Think this season he can be held accountable for results. I certainly don't get the "Silva out" shouts though. Disappointing result today, for sure, but it's not the first time in the PL era we've gone to the south coast and came back with a crap result.
Seven points from five games against poor to mediocre opposition, it’s not just yesterday’s drivel fans are upset about, the poor performances began in July again against inferior opposition, it’s now the middle of September and they don’t even look fit yet, well as you say he can be held accountable for results, if the team carry on like this it bode well for Mr. Silva. Then again he will get a nice pay off check like the previous three managers.

When we sign someone like a Delph or going even further back, Neville, you mightn't see a gulf in their ability but you certainly do with their mentality. Constantly in the refs ear, talking to their team mates etc. I think the OP may be spot on, we need a manager like that to change the whole mentality of the club not just one or two players.

If the club were truly ambitious to break the top four and do something big in the next few years, Mourinho would literally already be in the job. He's available and he's looking for a project. With the right resources, the sort we've been spending, with a new stadium on the horizon, that project doesn't even need to be sold to a manager. If we were serious, we'd have top managers queuing up round the block for it - which suggests we're not.

Pochettino at Spurs is getting half the money that we've had in recent years. If the club were genuine about pushing this club forward over the next few years, so that we'd be moving to the new stadium with Champions League Football, we wouldn't only have Kean as a viable option up front, we wouldn't be 'making do' with players we have who are patently not good enough at that level and we wouldn't persist with a manager who was barely qualified for the job in the 1st place and hasn't pulled up any trees in the 18 months he's been here.

Abramovich, for all his flaws, has sacked managers almost every season and it works, they have silverware almost every year. He does not tolerate failure. Moshiri and Usmanov, you'd hope, would adopt a similar mentality - with a shade less of the hiring and firing, but with the same ruthlessness.

If there aren't significant improvements to performance levels and results, i'd be shocked if the club didn't consider a change at Christmas.

Last edited by a moderator:

He's got a point though. This team won't finish any higher than 7th, it's just not good enough to, and everybody should be aware of that by now. Teams that finish around 7th/8th will lose games (particularly away games) to teams that you would probably think they're better than. It's just a fact, if they didn't, they wouldn't be finishing in those positions. So why do we end up talking about sacking the manager and players having awful mentalities etc every time it happens?

Moaning about the game and result is normal, but there's a huge overreaction to games like this where everything becomes some massive soul searching exercise and everyone is called out as being an utter disgrace for daring to lose a game. It is a bit much.

It is a message board.

Full of people passionate about the fortunes of EFC.

It is a sounding board....a place to vent with like minded people.

Some of you guys are more apathetic about the continuous mediocrity of this club than others are.

Thst is fair enough.......I wish I could just shrug my shoulders and not let a poor Everton performance affect my mood.

But I can’t :(

So forgive me if I sometimes use this forum for the purpose it was designed......i.e. giving Everton fans a safe space to discuss the club and criticise things which I think stink.

Like yesterday’s result and performance.

It is a message board.

Full of people passionate about the fortunes of EFC.

It is a sounding board....a place to vent with like minded people.

Some of you guys are more sanguine about the continuous mediocrity of this club than others are.

Thst is fair enough.......I wish I could just shrug my shoulders and not let a poor Everton performance affect my mood.

But I can’t :(

So forgive me if I sometimes use this forum for the purpose it was designed......i.e. giving Everton fans a safe space to discuss the club and criticise things which I think stink.

Like yesterday’s result and performance.
No you're missing the point. Venting about yesterday's game is perfectly normal, venting about awful form for a prolonged period of time is perfectly normal. Lurching from saying everything is great when we win to saying the manager needs sacking and all the players are disgraceful when we lose is not normal, it's weird.

No you're missing the point. Venting about yesterday's game is perfectly normal, venting about awful form for a prolonged period of time is perfectly normal. Lurching from saying everything is great when we win to saying the manager needs sacking and all the players are disgraceful when we lose is not normal, it's weird.

Oh I get that point OK and I agree with you.

But that wasn’t the point that other fellow was making.

“we lost to Bournemouth. So what?”.

That level of apathy might work for him, but most of us are more vested in the club’s fortunes.

I am sure the couple of thousand Blues at Bournemouth weren’t echoing that sentiment yesterday.

I don't see many games, so have to rely on reports and posts on here. It does seem we have players who under-perform game after game. That is down to the manager to sort out, no-one else. If he can't, then we need to get someone who can.

Does mediocrity really have a 'stench"? I'm not even sure it has an odor? Sure we had players who had a stinker yesterday but It was just that, - a stinker really does stink. I think what we are all upset about is the ones that didn't have a stinker, but didn't do great things, they just got by... without exerting themselves either fitness or skill-wise. that's mediocrity and it doesn't have a smell, its the silent, odorless killer of ambition.

But, whenever we win, if you temper that joy and try to express that even for a second - we actually didn't play that well and still got the result (like against Wolves in my opinion) - you're immediately rounded upon as being impossible to please.

We're generally an extreme fanbase. Very few are actually able to remain calm when we win and view defeats in the context of the bigger picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.