The stench of mediocrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Said it before we are the worst type of club possible for players to go to stay motivated. Most of them have either been at a higher level and have now dropped down or being at Everton is the best they can possibly hope for. Either way they are handsomely paid, so most are happy to ride the gravy train.

If the majority don't want/need to push for moves to bigger clubs or are happy being paid what they are, where is the motivation? If things are looking up and they are bothered sure they can beat teams but once there's one bad result like against Villa or when we went 3-1 down to Bournemouth, their all like 'well not going to fight for anything this year' and the performances drop again. No hunger or desire.

Nevermind Sylvester Stallone coming to Goodison we need his mate Carl Weathers to come give that Rocky 3 speech: 'There is no tomorrow' and try and get back the eye of the tiger. Without it we will be forever moaning.
Lots of players say they feel at home with Everton, it is like a family. Perhaps that needs to change, perhaps they need to feel that awful performances mean they are unimportant people who need to earn attention or get lost. The set-up sounds like it might be too nice.

Stuff 'yer 'istory and win todays game like your life depends on it. In fact sorry GOT but maybe that song has run its course.

The problem is that there is no accountability as everyone just accepts our predicament so we just keep going round in circles while some fans appear to care more about hating the RS that supporting us which I find completely counter productive and quite sad.

£400m spent and were still no better off for it. Watching Delph berating the team yesterday was a breath of fresh air as it make a change and shows some do care.

It's just groundhog day isn't it?The same stuff happens over and over again.The crappy away days, the failure to win at the likes of anfield the emirates and stamford bridge, the failure to win trophies and derby matches.And then with nothing left to play for, the team clicks into a run of form to finish around 7th or 8th, to give us a bit of hope for next season.Only for the same scenario as described above to play out again.Rinse and repeat the same old same old, as i say groundhog day.Everton Fc is a needle, stuck very much on the same groove.Hopefully the new stadium might serve as a catalyst for better days ahead.

In the racing game we have a name for this phenomenon.......when a horse comes from a long way back to run into a creditable second, third or fourth place, well behind the winner.

“Staying on past beaten horses”.

And it gives the illusion that things are better than they actually are.

A brief overview of what I think:
- Goaless draw at Palace was mediocre
- Hard fought 1-0 win against Watford was good
- 0-2 loss at Villa was very poor
- 4-2 win at Lincoln was acceptable
- 3-2 win against Wolves was good
- 1-3 loss to Bournemouth was horrendous

I think it all works out to something a little under mediocrity at this point for me. Conceding 9 goals in our last 4 games is dire defensive form. Better goal threat is needed but if Silva doesn't stop the team leaking 2 goals per game then he won't be here much longer.

Weak mentality, losers mentality. Players who think they are better than they are and don't have to fight to win games like Bournemouth and Villa away. A rotten formation, sideways passing. And a manager who won't make subs until we are behind, not to go and win the match. Its groundhog day every time we go away , and where's the pressure from the board? There is none we are accepting of mediocrity from top to bottom. We are weak away from home and won't be finishing in ten top six as long as this doesn't change. We are a pathetic club and as long as the players aren't arsed going away then why should we be?

Weak mentality, losers mentality. Players who think they are better than they are and don't have to fight to win games like Bournemouth and Villa away. A rotten formation, sideways passing. And a manager who won't make subs until we are behind, not to go and win the match. Its groundhog day every time we go away , and where's the pressure from the board? There is none we are accepting of mediocrity from top to bottom. We are weak away from home and won't be finishing in ten top six as long as this doesn't change. We are a pathetic club and as long as the players aren't arsed going away then why should we be?

Well im off the mentality that if we don't win a trophy or finish at least 7th, then Silvas position has to come up for review.Whether the board think that way is another matter.I have a feeling that the plan, is to plod along finishing in and around the top 10, until the stadium gets built.Presuming that it does get built.

Pretty much sums us up!

Lots of players say they feel at home with Everton, it is like a family. Perhaps that needs to change, perhaps they need to feel that awful performances mean they are unimportant people who need to earn attention or get lost. The set-up sounds like it might be too nice.

That sounds like exactly the type of environment to encourage people to not be afraid to make mistakes or hide problems.

It's amazing how quickly those performances at the end of last season are forgotten. I was also depressed by the overall performance at Bournemouth but it takes time. Losing Gana, not getting Zouma, and Gmbamin getting injured are massive blows as they have all contributed to the erratic performances so far this season. I'm not so sure now if our "easy" start to the season has helped because there was a general feeling that we'd be comfortably in the top 4 by now. The one positive thing is that it looks like there is only one team that seems to be uncatchable.

Where he won two trophies including the Europa League playing Thursday/Sunday because he knows how to win and not cave into thinking that plagues everybody else in this country about that competition

Er, we had both the finalists last year :blush::blush:

A brief overview of what I think:
- Goaless draw at Palace was mediocre
- Hard fought 1-0 win against Watford was good
- 0-2 loss at Villa was very poor
- 4-2 win at Lincoln was acceptable
- 3-2 win against Wolves was good
- 1-3 loss to Bournemouth was horrendous

I think it all works out to something a little under mediocrity at this point for me. Conceding 9 goals in our last 4 games is dire defensive form. Better goal threat is needed but if Silva doesn't stop the team leaking 2 goals per game then he won't be here much longer.

We were poor defensively before Christmas last year, it's usually Pickford at fault to be honest

Good initial post but I and a handful of others pointed this all out last season and pre season.

Our apathetic young supporters are also to blame. In the 70/80's this gutless, soulless, beat crap teams at home and capitulate against anything resembling a team away would not be tolerated.

The saintifying of Brands this summer was utterly laughable with any sort of insightful analysis of our squad and what it needed.

It didnt need an 18yo striker, it needed a proven goalscorer or 2 at prem level.
It needed 1 or 2 centre halfs with pace/leadership/organisational qualities - we bought nobody.
It needed 1 or 2 proven top level prem centre mids - we bought a couple of decent ones but not as good as the one we sold.

I have never for 1 second thought Silva would be a success here but with what hes been given I can barely blame him.

We have no/zero leaders on or off the pitch (maybe Coleman to a small degree). That is the first thing to solve. We will win enough games at home not to worry about relegation so get to the core of why we are underperforming,

As has been said get a `leader' of men in to manage this football club. A manager with a history of expectation and success.

Then buy players with leadership capabilities. I don't care if they are 36 or 18. Buy players with the character to gradually bring about a cultural change within the club that demands excellence and achievement.

Status
Not open for further replies.