The next two matches will define the season

Status
Not open for further replies.
7th is about right for us - I would hope we can get at least one point from the two games

4 points and I'd believe we have a chance of catching one or more of the teams above us

It's worked well for the teams who've won or drawn at Anfield this season. If you can name me a team who have gone toe to toe with the RS and won there, then I'll change my opinion.
I'm not talking about going for hell leather with them, slugging it out in an end to end battle to the death. I'm talking about giving them something to think about.

We've been playing really well recently, playing in a way that suits us. The only game we've lost was away at Spurs, where we went and played defensively and conceded 3 goals anyway. When we finally decided to have a go at them, we scored 2 goals and it became clear that they had their own issues.

It's about time we started going into these games trying to focus on our own strengths rather than constantly worrying about the opposition. We've basically got a free hit this time around, we look like we're finishing 7th at worst and anything higher would be a bonus. Let's show that we're not scared to be on the same pitch as them by doing what we're good at.

I went to an Anfield derby...back in 86...we won!!!

But we've had little joy in the past generation.

I won't be watching our imminent capitulation. Martinez's last couple of 4-0 debacles have ridden me of any masochistic tendency.

I'm not talking about going for hell leather with them, slugging it out in an end to end battle to the death. I'm talking about giving them something to think about.

We've been playing really well recently, playing in a way that suits us. The only game we've lost was away at Spurs, where we went and played defensively and conceded 3 goals anyway. When we finally decided to have a go at them, we scored 2 goals and it became clear that they had their own issues.

It's about time we started going into these games trying to focus on our own strengths rather than constantly worrying about the opposition. We've basically got a free hit this time around, we look like we're finishing 7th at worst and anything higher would be a bonus. Let's show that we're not scared to be on the same pitch as them by doing what we're good at.

Spot on. Which team has the league's top scorer? The biggest threat in the Premier League and yet I can just see it now that we will barely utilise him. Meanwhile their big threats will cause mayhem whilst we have Barry getting overrun in midfield.

I don't disagree entirely. I think part of the issue with the Spurs game was that we played rubbish, which makes it difficult to know if the plan was wrong or if the players just performed way below their best. If you look at the way Chelsea played when they went there, winning the ball about 30 yards from their own goal and breaking on them, that would suit us best IMO.

Are you kidding?

If I was picking the team Mirallas is the first name I would have on the sheet.

He is the one player we have whom consistently turns up against this shower.

Even in the debacle that was last April, Kev was the one man trying to make a fight if it :dance:

Moyes players are cowardly, weak, bottlers in derbies. I fully expect a humiliating loss so it's up to them to prove they have found some gut.

I'm glad you're not the manager. Pushing up high against the RS, when we have a slow back line. What do you think the result would be? I'd have a rather large bet on us getting drubbed. I remember Villas Boas trying that tactic against them and getting done 4 or 5 nil.

What we need to do is sit about 20 yards out, and have runners ready for when we break down their attacks. Barkley, Mirallas and Lukaku ready to sprint for all their worth when Gueye or Davies nick the ball. Pinch it, play it down the channels, stretch them, early cross, Lukaku, back of the net. Repeat 3 times, delirium!!

absolutely spot on. We need to have a go but at the right times. Don't give them the space to run behind us.

The problem with the spurs game was he just fitted in as many midfielders as possible so it didn't work as there was no shape or an out ball. Have Mirallas or Lookman in close support to Lukaku and we can hit them on the break.

We just need to be clever, work hard, stifle them and we will get chances.

Sit back and camp ourselves 20 yards from our own goal. Get through the first half hour then pick them off. The gameplan is obvious but not sure we have the balls to execute it in a pressure game. Too much mental baggage.

Koeman will set us up to counter, so Barry might not be as bad as it may at first seem.

If we can crowd them out in midfield with Ross dropping back when needed to and be as clinical going forward as we were against Man City, we could be onto something.

Status
Not open for further replies.