The next two matches will define the season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope Barry doesn't play, being used against Hull and West Brom is fine, but if he plays against Liverpool he's gonna get overrun and leave our wobbly defence exposed more than we'd like.

I'm kind of resigned to him starting though and us getting bummed.

Hopefully Kidman remembers the first game and what happened soon as Barry came on, or against spurs, or even saw the way toure was completely overran yesterday by them.

If Barry starts we lose, simple as that really. Terrified of manes pace against our slow back four as well

I agree that the season will be defined by these 2 games.

Finishing 7th is a decent return, but it's not really any more than that. Allied to the early cup exits it would be difficult to get too excited about things. If we can get the Anfield monkey off our back though, and put ourselves in a position where we're really pushing the teams above us to the extent that it becomes a 'top 7' in people's eyes, then I for one will start to think that maybe Koeman is on to something.

Unfortunately, we're likely to go into both games playing a back 8 and leaving Lukaku stranded with nobody within 50 yards while Barry chases shadows around the middle of the pitch and Williams wades through invisible waist-deep mud for 90 minutes, so I'm not holding out too much hope.

I reckon these games will be make or break for Lukaku in terms of getting the move he's after, so hopefully he'll turn in two big performances.

I just want us to be positive and offensive minded for both matches. Having 10 behind the ball and Lukaku wandering around up near centre, is not going to get it done. Pressure them high and don't give them any room. Both teams can be had, and we're due.
I'm glad you're not the manager. Pushing up high against the RS, when we have a slow back line. What do you think the result would be? I'd have a rather large bet on us getting drubbed. I remember Villas Boas trying that tactic against them and getting done 4 or 5 nil.

What we need to do is sit about 20 yards out, and have runners ready for when we break down their attacks. Barkley, Mirallas and Lukaku ready to sprint for all their worth when Gueye or Davies nick the ball. Pinch it, play it down the channels, stretch them, early cross, Lukaku, back of the net. Repeat 3 times, delirium!!

I'm convinced we'll play like we did at Spurs in both games and lose both.

So anything above this will be a nice little surprise.

Some keep going on about how brave Koeman is and how he's a winner, he has to now prove that against the RS. None of this parking the bus and sitting too deep (we look ropey as it is at times defensively) allowing them to dictate the game (like we did against Spurs) we have to have - a - go from the off, and I don't mean going all Gung ho but at least putting them under pressure from the start.

Also, we can't allow Lukaku to become isolated (something that happens quite a lot against the so called bigger teams) as soon as we have someone playing with him, then he becomes a major threat.

Last edited:

I'm glad you're not the manager. Pushing up high against the RS, when we have a slow back line. What do you think the result would be? I'd have a rather large bet on us getting drubbed. I remember Villas Boas trying that tactic against them and getting done 4 or 5 nil.

What we need to do is sit about 20 yards out, and have runners ready for when we break down their attacks. Barkley, Mirallas and Lukaku ready to sprint for all their worth when Gueye or Davies nick the ball. Pinch it, play it down the channels, stretch them, early cross, Lukaku, back of the net. Repeat 3 times, delirium!!
It's all about balance. You don't necessarily need to play a high defensive line, but you do need your attackers and midfielders pressing up the pitch. Asking your attacking players to run like hell every time you get the ball basically just means you run out of legs after about an hour and get steamrollered.

It's all about balance. You don't necessarily need to play a high defensive line, but you do need your attackers and midfielders pressing up the pitch. Asking your attacking players to run like hell every time you get the ball basically just means you run out of legs after about an hour and get steamrollered.
I disagree. If we try and chase them all over the place, the whole team will be knackered after an hour and we'll lose then. Keep it tight and defend well, grow into the game. If we nick a goal on the break in the first half, so be it. Then when they tire, which they will because of the way they play, we can take advantage of it. At Goodison we chased and harried all over the place and after half an hour the whole team was knackered, and then we clung on like a punch drunk boxer.

we simply have to get a minimum of 4 points out these two fixtures.

........................Robles...........
............Holgate...Williams....Mori..
Coleman..Davies...Gana...Barkley..Baines
.................Mirallas....Lukaku...

This team should suffice!!

I disagree. If we try and chase them all over the place, the whole team will be knackered after an hour and we'll lose then. Keep it tight and defend well, grow into the game. If we nick a goal on the break in the first half, so be it. Then when they tire, which they will because of the way they play, we can take advantage of it. At Goodison we chased and harried all over the place and after half an hour the whole team was knackered, and then we clung on like a punch drunk boxer.
A tactic that's worked so well over the last 18 years...

There is absolutely no reason why we can't get 4 points from 6 in these 2 games. I personally think the derby will be a tougher match and also think Liverpool are the better team out of the 2.

However, i'm so bored of the disappointment, frustration and anger that these 2 matches bring that I can't really be arsed to even get my hopes up. The usual routine is:

The Anfield derby:

3 or 4-0 humiliation OR
A hard fought 1-0 win from them. Probably whilst they play with 10 men and still win all the 50-50's etc OR
Boring 0-0 draw

Old Trafford (like any other away game against any of the Media's SKY 4 teams):

We will set up not to lose, will have about 2 shots the whole game and will lose narrowly. OR
We will be leading but they will get a late equaliser OR
Boring 0-0 draw

Seen it so many times and Everton never win these games.

We've been here before, haven't we?

Going on every single past experience (save for that golden spell in the 80s), I'll be stocking up in bleach in the next supermarket sweep.

Come on, lids, we know what will happen.

I am pretty sure we went on a long unbeaten run against them in the 90s......about five of six years and including a couple Anfield vicories, most noticeably the Kanchelskis derby.

Status
Not open for further replies.