Players salaries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everton and their players have not impressed me at all by their inaction on players salaries. It now looks as though they may be dragged kicking and screaming into some belated response, but it's left a sour taste, Barcelona's players have taken a 70% wage cut and Juventus have players have deferred their wages for four months, in both cases to allow non-playing staff to remain in paid employment but our club and it's players have made no move on salaries whatsoever.
Of course, they are not the only club that can be accused of this, but they are my club, and it hurts that they are not taking the lead on such an important issue.
Everton ARE paying their entire staff their full wages tho.

Point stands I hate these players more with every passing day. Just disgust me on a personal level.

They are a greedy bunch of people. They will eventually give up part of their wages when public opinion turns against them. Then we will hear about the sacrifices they are making.

they are a greedy bunch, a friend of mine is an elite level footballer & will tell stories of life changing rows over who got the free playstations after a FIFA launch, despite all of them earning 10k plus a week.

I disagree they will take a paycut based on public opinion, they have a real vested interest in contracts being broken / voided; even in a dramatically deflated climate, players jumping on a free with sign-ons will make a fortune; not to mention the agents in the background who will be stirring this pot to make a few quid

they are a greedy bunch, a friend of mine is an elite level footballer & will tell stories of life changing rows over who got the free playstations after a FIFA launch, despite all of them earning 10k plus a week.

I disagree they will take a paycut based on public opinion, they have a real vested interest in contracts being broken / voided; even in a dramatically deflated climate, players jumping on a free with sign-ons will make a fortune; not to mention the agents in the background who will be stirring this pot to make a few quid

It's difficult because for most of them it's all they've ever known. I've known lads who worked at investment banks on big salaries too. Very quickly you justify it to yourself of you are worth it because you are special, you are better than others, they are just bitter and envious of your talent etc. It's why in this country we have a whole industry around have particular schools who educate children for those jobs by essentially telling them they are culturally and morally superior.

It's similar with footballers really. These lads will have had everything done for them form about the age of 15. They will be given contracts that mean they never have to work again at 17. They will be given cars, clothes etc and have a team to organise it. It's a very detached world. It's a cut throat world too, you only really make it if you are very focussed and driven.

You also have to bare in mind, football is fickle. If you have a bad 3-4 games now, you are going to get dogs abuse, on the internet, on social media etc. It hardly engenders loyalty. They know it's a contract, clubs aren't paying them if they don't maintain their standards beyond that date, but it will work both ways. They will want whats due.

Essentially football is quite a horrible, grubby business at every level really. It's not a particularly nice industry. But I think most of us signed up to supporting a team knowing that was never part of the deal. It was part of your DNA. It was never about enjoyment or whatever else.

The sooner Norwich get relegated/cease to exist the better...
Furlough non playing staff to avoid paying them out of their own pocket....
Yet can afford to pay the players and make a token gesture of £200k donation to the local community

They, or rather the PFA, disgust me.

A decent trade union looks after its members but also is concerned about wider society.
A case in point being whenever the FBU went on strike, they would still respond to major emergencies despite not being on pay.
The PFA seems to be just about itself and no concern for wider football or the fans and communities that sustain it.

A decent trade union looks after its members but also is concerned about wider society.
A case in point being whenever the FBU went on strike, they would still respond to major emergencies despite not being on pay.
The PFA seems to be just about itself and no concern for wider football or the fans and communities that sustain it.

lol at the PFA being a trade union.

Its funded by the players employers.

Honestly 10% cut for 3 months from all playing staff to cover non-playing staff would more then cover this

I mean doesn't something like this need to be decided at UEFA level so that its consistent across the continent at least. I mean otherwise if its only UK cutting wages, they will just cry breach of contract and/or just hop to a team in a country that isnt cutting wages?

Status
Not open for further replies.