Players salaries

Status
Not open for further replies.
100k/week - which plenty of PL players will be on - is £5.2m/year.

The median salary in this country is about £27k.

One PL salary could pay for 192 median salaries.

I find it totally unacceptable that players haven't already taken it up on their own initiative to shoulder their burden. Utterly sickens me, tbh. Football could face an existential crisis unless this is well addressed, and TBH I wouldn't really care if it did. There has been far, far too much money and greed at the top of football for a long time now.

It’s the perfect opportunity for the clubs to drag salaries back. Even if they cut 80% from them, most are still overpaid for what they do.....

Any PL clubs such as Spurs or Newcastle are morally bankrupt for taking advantage of the Governments employee furlough scheme , especially when continuing to pay players their ludicrous wages in full.

They are a stain on football and I pray that I will never see the day that Everton go down this route and I think might bring my interest in football to an end.

The thought of the taxpayer , at this time of crisis , bailing out clubs with huge assets and wealth is quite simply disgusting.

*Posted by me in the Coronavirus thread - this one looks more relevant

Everton and their players have not impressed me at all by their inaction on players salaries. It now looks as though they may be dragged kicking and screaming into some belated response, but it's left a sour taste, Barcelona's players have taken a 70% wage cut and Juventus have players have deferred their wages for four months, in both cases to allow non-playing staff to remain in paid employment but our club and it's players have made no move on salaries whatsoever.
Of course, they are not the only club that can be accused of this, but they are my club, and it hurts that they are not taking the lead on such an important issue.

Unfortunately due to the current crisis the whole reality of world football and premier league is being used for brownie points for people to seem moral crusaders against the haves and have nots ;-( We all know the salaries of football players are crazy and should'nt be as it is but since football is run as a business now and those players are assets in the eyes of Club x PLC ;-( The other people are just employees so screw them as their not making money so why pay them unless their productive? You can be sure players have sent donations etc to charities or home towns etc or have done like in some clubs offered to reduce their wages but its their choice to do ;-) For the clubs the common staff are replaceable but their players are assets so they ll try to appease them by hook or by crook ;-(
Everton have their medical team working with players so obviously still being paid but the food/merchandising sectors were outsourced by Kenwright/Elstone so none of the people are actually employees of Everton!

gee i wish i was getting paid tons of money to sit on my arse at home and not get sick

taking a pay cut is a genius idea, and none of them should debate it. they're not even required to do their job right now. if for some crazy reason the season resumes and they get matches in, then they should get back the remainder of their salaries.

gee i wish i was getting paid tons of money to sit on my arse at home and not get sick

taking a pay cut is a genius idea, and none of them should debate it. they're not even required to do their job right now. if for some crazy reason the season resumes and they get matches in, then they should get back the remainder of their salaries.

entirely right & i would like to think I would do it of my own accord to save the jobs of others at my club. The flip side is they are union members, their union is undoubtedly saying to them not to do anything of your own accord & we will negotiate on your behalf

Unfortunately due to the current crisis the whole reality of world football and premier league is being used for brownie points for people to seem moral crusaders against the haves and have nots ;-( We all know the salaries of football players are crazy and should'nt be as it is but since football is run as a business now and those players are assets in the eyes of Club x PLC ;-( The other people are just employees so screw them as their not making money so why pay them unless their productive? You can be sure players have sent donations etc to charities or home towns etc or have done like in some clubs offered to reduce their wages but its their choice to do ;-) For the clubs the common staff are replaceable but their players are assets so they ll try to appease them by hook or by crook ;-(
Everton have their medical team working with players so obviously still being paid but the food/merchandising sectors were outsourced by Kenwright/Elstone so none of the people are actually employees of Everton!

Is that you Boris?

I just can't believe the crass reactions of Newcastle, Norwich and Tottenham to this crisis. They have taken a stance that shows they are quite ready to abandon the vast majority of their employees whilst passing the buck to the government - or more correctly, me and you as taxpayers.
They have been joined in this despicable response by the PFA. This is the disgraceful stance they have taken:

The Professional Footballers’ Association has written to all of its members urging them not to agree any reduction or deferral in wages until they have spoken to the union.
In a letter seen by BBC Sport, the PFA says: "The PFA requested to see each club's financial situation before we offer advice to players on whether to accept the terms offered.
"Before accepting or signing any paperwork from your club, it is vitally important that squads collectively discuss proposals with the PFA."

This is an absolutely immoral statement, given the current circumstances. The PFA and the players should hang their heads in shame.

Footballers are the cure to the virus. Let them sit on their millions whilst the mere mortals such as doctors and nurses face the risk. Niasse with a few birds in his car was performing a much needed public service. Neymar is self isolating in his multi million pad in Brazil with a hele copter pad. Now is the time to question the salary of footballers

It’s the perfect opportunity for the clubs to drag salaries back. Even if they cut 80% from them, most are still overpaid for what they do.....

@evilwebby I thought you mentioned you worked as a trader?

I mean it would be my view, that the players voluntarily taking a 30% may be the best course of action here. The risk is that without that, we ar going to get sides going bust, and an absolutely rout of the market? A 30% reduction could help calm the situation and keep the situation calmer.

@evilwebby I thought you mentioned you worked as a trader?

I mean it would be my view, that the players voluntarily taking a 30% may be the best course of action here. The risk is that without that, we ar going to get sides going bust, and an absolutely rout of the market? A 30% reduction could help calm the situation and keep the situation calmer.

Also to clarify matters the 80% is only to a maximum of £2500 per month.

Everton and their players have not impressed me at all by their inaction on players salaries. It now looks as though they may be dragged kicking and screaming into some belated response, but it's left a sour taste, Barcelona's players have taken a 70% wage cut and Juventus have players have deferred their wages for four months, in both cases to allow non-playing staff to remain in paid employment but our club and it's players have made no move on salaries whatsoever.
Of course, they are not the only club that can be accused of this, but they are my club, and it hurts that they are not taking the lead on such an important issue.
Just compare what Barca and Juve players have done for their clubs on the pitch too and you'll be even more annoyed at our players not giving up some of their money.

I'd be more than happy for Sigurdsson, Scheniderlin, Davies, Martina, Tosun, Niasse et al. all taking a 90% wage cut.

They are a greedy bunch of people. They will eventually give up part of their wages when public opinion turns against them. Then we will hear about the sacrifices they are making.

Status
Not open for further replies.