Homepage Update: [Listen] How does Moyes feel now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He will feel like a failure of a man, who had it all but didn't realise it. Chased a dream but really just picked up a poisoned chalice in an arena where the fans didn't like him because he want Jose. Discovered that he left just before Moshiri came to play and will blame anyone and his dog for his own misfortune. It hurts Davey doesn't it, it hurt us too at the time, you just have to live with it much longer than we did.......

Moyes was the right man at the right time for Everton and I think it's a pity that he isn't more highly regarded by blues. He not only saved us from the drop but turned us from a team fighting for its life into serial top halfers, CL qualification was nothing short of stunning. His antics and failures since should not be allowed to overshadow what he did for us because it laid the foundations for where we are today. Martinez not fit to breathe his farts.

I think he was highly regarded by most blues that's why he got the leeway a lot of others would not. It was painfully obvious he was going through the motions towards the end and bar from a handful, most people fell in line out of respect for what he had done for us. We were painfully aware of his limitations but scared to what a change could bring. Picture that against Martinez and how we were not going to stand for years of him being manager.

Moyes got a near hero's send off despite shafting us of any compo by not signing the contract. He then decided to act the big man going after Fellaini and Baines, belittling us saying something along the lines of the club should not be holding back the careers of players.

I think this is the part he will regret most, he could have signed a short term contract or had a low-ish get out clause, let's face it Bill would have given in to any demand. We wouldn't have felt he messed us around not signing a contract just to see what was happening at utd, we would have got a bit of money to offset what we paid to Wigan and things would have looked a lot better in that respect. Then imagine he never went for our players or just offered the buy out value for Fellaini striaght up. He would have been welcome back to Goodison with open arms. (Before you panic, not as manager heaven forbid, just to visit)

He tarnished his own relationship with the one club he could have been lauded as a bit of a cult hero, despite winning naff all. I respect what he did for us but he burned the bridges of anything else when he thought he was better than Everton. I think he would agree the grass isn't always greener.

Yeah you're right. Only took him around 18 months to nearly relegate the club with the team Moyes built on a shoestring budget.

Phenomenal

Remind where Moyes' Sunderland team finished this season?

1-1 on relegations, 1-0 on trophies. Looks like a Martinez victory to me.

Was there a question for @Mikey_Fitzgerald about the first time he laid eyes on me in the Winslow, and what that experience was like?

Because that's good content for you right there.

I kind of think moyes did the right thing for him at the time, when he left us for Man Utd. I don't think he could realistically have taken us any further, but at the same time if moyes had been manager when Moshiri came in, as with many new owners, moyes would have been sacked as soon as he had a bad run of games and a bigger name brought in. Moyes wouldn't have liked to have a Steve Walsh character pulling the strings after years of making all the decisions on player sales and purchases. I don't have any bad feelings towards moyes, I'm sure he has enough cash to live very well for the rest of his days, he was a good manager for us during a period where we were chronically under funded

Moyes story since he left Goodison demonstrates that sometimes it's not all about hard work. Sometimes your ambition and enthusiasm can outweigh ability. Man Utd was a poisoned chalice made worse by them bringing in Woodward at the same time, and compounded by him getting rid of the established back room staff. He was unlucky perhaps that he followed a legend and had a squad in urgent need of renewal, but he made it worse for himself and has subsequently been found out at sociadad and sland.

For all he did good with Everton, he was ultimately quite limited and at this point he will be lucky to pick up a decent job in the near future. Someone like Leeds seems a good fit. I'm sure he probably feels aggrieved that he didn't get the money at Everton or success and adulation at Utd that he felt he should have but at the end of the day what has he won in football?

Don't get me wrong I liked him when he was here, but why are we still talking about him. Onwards and upwards blues.

I think he was highly regarded by most blues that's why he got the leeway a lot of others would not. It was painfully obvious he was going through the motions towards the end and bar from a handful, most people fell in line out of respect for what he had done for us. We were painfully aware of his limitations but scared to what a change could bring. Picture that against Martinez and how we were not going to stand for years of him being manager.

Moyes got a near hero's send off despite shafting us of any compo by not signing the contract. He then decided to act the big man going after Fellaini and Baines, belittling us saying something along the lines of the club should not be holding back the careers of players.

I think this is the part he will regret most, he could have signed a short term contract or had a low-ish get out clause, let's face it Bill would have given in to any demand. We wouldn't have felt he messed us around not signing a contract just to see what was happening at utd, we would have got a bit of money to offset what we paid to Wigan and things would have looked a lot better in that respect. Then imagine he never went for our players or just offered the buy out value for Fellaini striaght up. He would have been welcome back to Goodison with open arms. (Before you panic, not as manager heaven forbid, just to visit)

He tarnished his own relationship with the one club he could have been lauded as a bit of a cult hero, despite winning naff all. I respect what he did for us but he burned the bridges of anything else when he thought he was better than Everton. I think he would agree the grass isn't always greener.

I get all that (as do the rest of us), there's no great revelation in anything you post, Moyes screwed up when he left. The point of my post was to look past what happened next and respect what he did for us, when Walter left we really were up to our necks.

You think he hung around for too long and you may be right, but he left us in a good place, whatever his motivation. It's time to put his achievements into context, what he did was remarkable and it's being rewritten because of what happened when he left, which is just wrong. Shankly was treated abysmally by them despite all he'd done and at the time we showed them how a proper, dignified football club behaves by welcoming him to Bellefield and Goodson. We need to remember what differentiates our tribe from theirs and get past the petty, small time grievances.

I get all that (as do the rest of us), there's no great revelation in anything you post, Moyes screwed up when he left. The point of my post was to look past what happened next and respect what he did for us, when Walter left we really were up to our necks.

You think he hung around for too long and you may be right, but he left us in a good place, whatever his motivation. It's time to put his achievements into context, what he did was remarkable and it's being rewritten because of what happened when he left, which is just wrong. Shankly was treated abysmally by them despite all he'd done and at the time we showed them how a proper, dignified football club behaves by welcoming him to Bellefield and Goodson. We need to remember what differentiates our tribe from theirs and get past the petty, small time grievances.

Moyes got a fair bit of money to spend (mostly from sales granted) compared to the downward spiral that was 97-02. No doubt one of his skills was that he bought well for us, but you have just put Moyes and Shankly together in the same sentence. Someone who did (begrudgingly) pick them up from rock bottom to winning stuff regularly to someone who got to one cup final during a time that Cardiff and Portsmouth managed to do that twice.

The other difference is that Shankly was kicked out by management, the fans had no problem with him, as far as I know Moyes has no problem with Kenwright, they were seen together at Goodison before Koeman was hired. I don't think any Everton supporter is going to give him grief, just don't think we would be gushing over him. Well in my case anyhow, I can't speak for all on that.

Thing is with Moyes I was made up when he went and to be honest wanted him gone a few years earlier, but seeing how bad we went on to be without him made me realize under the circumstances he had to put up with he didnt do a bad job.
He made a bad mistake going to United but at the time he couldnt turn that down. Right now I dont have any feelings either way towards him, im just looking to the future now and im sure he is made up to see us progressing.

Prob made more money since leaving us than the rest of his whole career put together so I doubt he has many about regrets leaving us. He had absolutely no chance of getting us competing at the very top again regularly on the budget he had during his tenure and he did a good job with what resources he did have but he went up his own arse after being sought after by Alex Ferguson and was like a love struck schoolgirl for Man utd with that big daft cheesy grin on his face all the time but once he'd been fingered, bummed, used and dismissed by them his persona became so dour it was clear he was on his way down and heading for the scrapheap of Scottish football.

Doubt very much he made more money since he left Everton than he had done while he was here, he was massively
over paid while he was here, eleven seasons and in the last six he was on £3m plus each year, if he has any sense he will be crying his eyes out he ever left us, mind you once Moshiri came in he would have seen Moyes's worth and started
planning to get rid.

Moyes got a fair bit of money to spend (mostly from sales granted) compared to the downward spiral that was 97-02. No doubt one of his skills was that he bought well for us, but you have just put Moyes and Shankly together in the same sentence. Someone who did (begrudgingly) pick them up from rock bottom to winning stuff regularly to someone who got to one cup final during a time that Cardiff and Portsmouth managed to do that twice.

The other difference is that Shankly was kicked out by management, the fans had no problem with him, as far as I know Moyes has no problem with Kenwright, they were seen together at Goodison before Koeman was hired. I don't think any Everton supporter is going to give him grief, just don't think we would be gushing over him. Well in my case anyhow, I can't speak for all on that.

Sorry but I wasn't lining up gheir achievements, my reference to Shankly was purely in relation to the attitude after he left, it took years for them to recognise what he'd done. As for money to spend you need to look at the money Walter was given (Dacourt, Collins, Matterazi et al) and reconsider your statement, it's false.

I think he's remembered more fondly if Jelavic didn't turn out to be a flop. We could have potentally gotten 3rd that season if Jelavic was the same player the year before.

Its weird how many think finishing 6th or 7th with the state of the transfer budgets he was given was just going through the motions, especially when end of his time here was some of our best football under him, seems like yet another Moyes cliche with no substance to me.

It's a shame how he talked about us when he left, and the bids he came in for as well didn't rally Evertonians to his cause either.

Overall though, I suspect he will be remembered by most as someone who improved us, and that's about it, I am sure he's looking at us wishing he had that sort of money when he was here, but I doubt he would be pining to return. If he had stayed he would of spent a lot more time regretting not being brave enough to 'have a go' at the lets face it 'bigger job' at the time, of managing United than he is spending time now regretting doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.