Lille - Info (Travel, Hotels, Bars, Directions etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dunno about programmes - sorry

Ashford is on the Eurostar line isn't it? That's the only way to get there direct without driving.
If you don't wanna drive you could be a foot passenger on a Dover ferry and then get a train from Calais or Dunkirk. Plan :)

Ashford is on the Eurostar line but it's quite expensive and if you want to come back the same day the last train to Ashford, Calais or Dunkirk is about 20:30.

Ashford is on the Eurostar line but it's quite expensive and if you want to come back the same day the last train to Ashford, Calais or Dunkirk is about 20:30.

If it was me I'd get a train or a lift to Dover and then be a foot passenger on the ferry then. Then hitch-hike off passing Evertonians :)
Or get a train

If it was me I'd get a train or a lift to Dover and then be a foot passenger on the ferry then. Then hitch-hike off passing Evertonians :)
Or get a train

That had crossed my mind mate!

If I do have to drive myself I've been looking at parking. I've read in a few places that some of the metro stations have free park and ride. I've found this one that looks easy to get to off the A25 and close to the stadium:

http://www.transpole.fr/fr/Voiture/parc-relais-4cantons.aspx

It says it's free to anyone using public transport but do you have to show a ticket or something as proof? It says blocks B and C are for stadium visitors who've reserved their spaces in advance, any idea how to do that? Is it still free?

Can you talk to my wife Jim?. She doesn't comprehend what a beautiful, culturally significant place Lille is...and how important we visit it(for shared cultural experience).
The fact Everton might have a football game on there, if we visit, is purely coincidental

Last edited:

Can you talk to my wife Jim?. She doesn't comprehend what a beautiful, culturally significant place Lille is...and how important we visit it(for shared cultural experience).
The fact Everton might have a football game on there, if we visit, is purely coincidental
lol deipno how did you get Krasnodar past her?

Again - absolutely no chance.

Lille itself is a very friendly city. It's twinned with Leeds by the way. But don't let that put you off because of Leeds United lol
[Leeds the city is also super friendly and welcoming if you don't go near the football fans on a matchday.]

It's cosmopolitan. It has a massive student population (biggest outside Paris) and lots of foreigners work there, plus its a business hub for northern Europe. It also has a huge bar and gastro culture - bars and restaurants everywhere.

They're very proud people (Flemish heritage, not French) and they love their football but their not violent at all. I imagine it would be a bit like going to Goodison as an away fan - banter and laughs then hostile for 90 minutes, then banter and laughs.

My first year there they did the double, league and cup, and they went for the French cup final to Paris, and beat Paris St Germain - who they hate. All came back so happy, and not a spot of trouble while in Paris.

I never knew that - so do they speak Vlaams or some dialect that is closer to it than French?/

Just interested as a keen amateur linguist!!

Whereabouts mate, I live in Hawkinge?

The best I've come up with so far is getting DFDS ferry from Dover to Calais which is £38 return, going in the morning and getting the ferry back just before midnight. But obviously you've got petrol and parking on top of that (and no ale).

Eurolines run buses from Dover to Lille but they only seem to leave Dover at 23:25 each day so you'd have to leave wednesday night and get there really early thursday morning.

Hey mate,

I'm down in Dymchurch so not far from you at all really, I know Hawkinge, just up past Folkestone.

It's a shame the Euro trains are so damn expensive, makes it not really an option, even though it'd be the quickest and best method.

I'm thinking about maybe going early Thursday, then staying a night in Lille and coming back Friday.

I'm going to have to do some more research I think.

You know any other local evertonians? Seems im the only one down here sometimes! haha

Hi - this is the first thread I've started here, and I know I'm the new kid, but the Europa draw has thrown up a bit of a coincidence for me. So I thought since I'm posting stuff all over the place I'd start a thread if anyone wants to know more about Lille.

I lived in Lille for nearly 3 years and only left France about 18 months ago, so thought I might be able to help.
Not patronise...help :)

I've done the Lille to Goodison trip many. many times too.

I'm a French translator for a living as well, so can help with language issues on French websites etc.

If there's no need for this then just ignore this thread, but if you have questions I'll be happy to answer them as best I can. I know most people have it booked and sorted, or if not they are perfectly capable of doing it themselves, so I'm not saying I know it all, hope it doesn't look that way.

**EDIT**
I'm putting this link at the top - Lille's OS on stadium plan, access, parking, directions...all in English:
http://www.losc.fr/en/english/club/grand-stade-lille-metropole
It could be an idea, if you have the time to do it, to add the questions to the original post with your answers to consolidate a possibly long thread??

Work is going to be an issue for many here. Any news on flights?

I would potentially get the afternoon off but need to be back for the next morning? How's it looking lids? Slim chances?

Would love if all the Everton fans getting tickets in the home end could all get tickets right by the away fans. Got a feeling we'll have about 15,000 at this one.

This may well be possible mate. I went to Lille v Nice in January last year.

I went on the Lille club site (in French as the English version had no ticket options) and used google translate bit by bit to sign up and then chose our seats on the 3d stadium model that pops up. It was well cool. I sat at the bottom of the upper tier with 3 other lads. The ticket was €5 as they had not long opened the stadium.

Got an email with a PDF and on it was a mcdonalds voucher, some directions to the ground, and at the bottom a ticket with a barcode. I printed it out, took it with me, got to the gate, some lid scanned my barcode, and I was IN...

Coybb!!
image.jpg

Last edited:
How are we pronouncing this one then? Lill'ee or Liillll don't think Ive heard it said in recent memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.