Lille - Info (Travel, Hotels, Bars, Directions etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would I be alright to keep my head down in the home end if I don't get a ticket for ours? Great help this thread, by the way, well in.

I guess so. Lille has nobheads like anywhere but it's friendly. I'm planning on doing just this.

Last edited:
so it would be quite likely i could land 2 ticks for this match?

i have no priority after just 2 aways last season.

does anyone know when our total allocation will be announced?

diolch

how far is the ground from the Eurostar station?

Get to the Ground...

Use the Metro

Here's the Metro Map (image attached).

The two stations at the end of the Yellow line are the Stadium. Train Stations are highlighted. Walking between the two train stations overground takes about 3 minutes / 800 yards.

You can also get a shuttle bus from Les Prés on the Red line - but I have no idea why you'd do that - the yellow line stops are the walking-distance stops.

The metro is brilliant.

No drivers, all electronic, arrives every 2-3 minutes at every station, and fast AF
(unless they're on strike! or there's a problem).

Each stop on the metro in the centre takes about 30 seconds to a minute. It is much quicker between stops than London.

There are ticket machines at every station, and a ticket is for one journey, any distance, including if you change lines.
I dunno about this year, but last year it cost 1.40 for a single. There are no returns. You can buy 10 for a knockdown bulk price - used to be 11 euros.

**STAMP YOUR TICKET in the little machine as you head through to the platform, because there might well be checks - in fact there will be when they know the city is full of football fans. The fine is 100 euros on the spot.
**KEEP YOUR TICKET because the checks are done on exiting the stations, NOT on the trains or platforms.

Attachments

• Lille Metro.jpg
    Lille Metro.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:

Get to the Ground...

Use the Metro

Here's the Metro Map (image attached).

The two stations at the end of the Yellow line are the Stadium. Train Stations are highlighted. Walking between the two train stations overground takes about 3 minutes / 800 yards.

You can also get a shuttle bus from Les Prés on the Red line - but I have no idea why you'd do that - the yellow line stops are the walking-distance stops.

The metro is brilliant.

No drivers, all electronic, arrives every 2-3 minutes at every station, and fast AF
(unless they're on strike! or there's a problem).

Each stop on the metro in the centre takes about 30 seconds to a minute. It is much quicker between stops than London.

There are ticket machines at every station, and a ticket is for one journey, any distance, as long as it's in one direction.
I dunno about this year, but last year it cost 1.40 for a single. There are no returns. You can buy 10 for a knockdown bulk price - used to be 11 euros.

**STAMP YOUR TICKET in the little machine as you head through to the platform, because there might well be checks - in fact there will be when they know the city is full of football fans. The fine is 100 euros on the spot.
**KEEP YOUR TICKET because the checks are done on exiting the stations, NOT on the trains or platforms.
cheers mate

To give you an idea of how small that map is, I used to live at Bois Blancs - Top left, Red line.

To get to Lille Flandres station took 20 minutes.

To get to Calmette (at the left end of Yellow) line took 10 minutes, including changing platforms and waiting at Port de Postes.

Getting back into town after the match (Metro)

The stadium is at the last two stops at the right hand end of the Yellow line.

For Grand Place and the City Centre and the Old Town (Vieux Lille), use Rihour.
This is 50 yards from Grand Place (hotels/food etc everywhere here, and a v good Guinness bar
Rihour is also the nearest for the Old Town (bars, restaurants & hotels aplenty) - 5-10 minute walk.

Gare Lille Flandres is just as good for the city centre - its like an extra 500-yard walk to the Grand Place.

For Rue Solférino - use Républic-Beaux Arts.
Rue Solférino is a street about half a mile long, with bars on either side all the way down. That's a mile of pubs people.
This includes a pub with 21 beer taps all down the bar, doing lagers from 5% at one end to 13% at the other.

Last edited:

I live near Ashford in Kent, this is very appealing to me. You think there would be away tickets on General Sale?

And what would be the cheapest way of getting there, ferry in Dover then drive ? I'd rather get a train but I cant seem to find cheap variations, maybe im just crap at looking to be fair.

I live near Ashford in Kent, this is very appealing to me. You think there would be away tickets on General Sale?

And what would be the cheapest way of getting there, ferry in Dover then drive ? I'd rather get a train but I cant seem to find cheap variations, maybe im just crap at looking to be fair.

Whereabouts mate, I live in Hawkinge?

The best I've come up with so far is getting DFDS ferry from Dover to Calais which is £38 return, going in the morning and getting the ferry back just before midnight. But obviously you've got petrol and parking on top of that (and no ale).

Eurolines run buses from Dover to Lille but they only seem to leave Dover at 23:25 each day so you'd have to leave wednesday night and get there really early thursday morning.

Dunno about programmes - sorry

Ashford is on the Eurostar line isn't it? That's the only way to get there direct without driving.
If you don't wanna drive you could be a foot passenger on a Dover ferry and then get a train from Calais or Dunkirk. Plan :)

I'm gonna stop going on now, but if anyone has questions I'll try to answer them. Like I said I don't know everything, but ask away.

Off the top of my head before I sign off:

* Don't worry about which train station you're going to. There's Lille Europe and Lille Flandres - it's a 5 minute walk from one to the other, and both are in the city, so it makes no difference.

* Driving round Lille centre is horrible at first - one-way system from hell. You'll figure it out after a few laps, but take a Sat Nav if you can.

* Parking in the city is not great, the big underground multi-stories are best/safest for long-stay, but these are expensive.
If you can get a hotel with parking, do it, even if its 10 or 20 euros extra. I think some give you a ticket to put in your window for the street spaces as well. Always ask what the deal is with parking, cos there should be one.

* Ferries are fine to Calais or Dunkirk - look at both because the drive is basically the same. Calais is about 20 miles further away down the motorway, but the boat to there is an hour quicker. Dunkirk to Lille is 50 miles, all motorway.

* It's a small city in terms of square mileage. As long as your hotel is somewhere in Lille city (a 59000 postcode) then you can probably walk.
If you're not bang in the middle tho, get near a metro stop cos it's rapid, cheap and easy.
So as long as your on the metro map it's fine (apart from the top right corner red line, that's basically Belgium). The exact city centre metro stops are Rihour and Gare Lille Flandres.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.