If Brands was to leave at end of contract...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brands will be like a lot of the players here already, his next move will be downwards unless something miraculous happens very soon.

I can see him leaving alright though, if we are stuck in the same situation as now in 12 months time, nobody will be able to argue that he has been a failure.

It's not the role that is the issue, it's the person filling it.

A good DOF is like a good referee, you know they are doing a good job when you don't need to talk about them.#

I'm actually glad that we are not just diving in and over-paying for players, but the problems this year are in large part a product of the shambles that was last year and more broadly, Brands' seeming failure to re-align the role such that we are able to find the best/better prospects at an age and stage of their career where we can buy and get real value for money with the potential for profit on re-sale.

On an individual player basis, a 29-year old Allan doesn't fit that brief, nor does Gabriel if bigger clubs are already fishing around and will to pay up now, nor does Arias. Not that any of them couldn't improve us, but I don't see any strategy beginning to emerge at all.
Should he move on he will probably go on to a better job like a lot of our former managers seem to have.
He has an excellent reputation and remains highly respected.
It seems that within the professional football world, failure at Everton is not considered to be reliable indicator of a mans true worth..
Which perhaps indicates the monumental task which faces any manager or DoF who accepts the challenge of attempting to resurrect our moribund club.

I’d leave it to Ancelotti if I’m honest if he wants one the club should work with him if not I’d leave it.

I’m no Brands hater and I believe these positions require time (although not in Walsh’s case as he was wrong from the outset). I’m also no Brands apologist and I don’t think the club would have too much difficulty replicating his work thus far with someone else.

In short thats a roundabout way of saying I’m uninspired but hopeful about the DoF model and I wouldn’t be particularly bothered and don’t think we’d collapse if Brands went or was let go but I still verge more on the side of giving him time.

Last edited:

We have been mostly cack since having a DOF so save a few quid and give it back to the Manager i.e the man who actually knows about these sort of things and knows what he needs.

If it worked they wouldnt be preparing for Championship football next season.

When you consider Brentford have one of the smaller budgets in the Championship, lower end of the wage structure and regularly turn a profit, you could definitely say they are punching above their weight which says to me it does work.

When you consider Brentford have one of the smaller budgets in the Championship, lower end of the wage structure and regularly turn a profit, you could definitely say they are punching above their weight which says to me it does work.

They have done well, but they failed.

Lets see if they can sustain another push next season, then consider me very impressed.

They have done well, but they failed.

Lets see if they can sustain another push next season, then consider me very impressed.

Not failing at all.

Just didn't quite get over the finish line. Sure it's a massive disappointment, but they're built solidly. No doubt they need to capitalise this season or face an exodus, but like you, i'm very, very impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.