If Brands was to leave at end of contract...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it’s a very hard role actually, I’m sure better guys than Brands would fail too. It’s a model that’s very difficult for where we are in the league, and our stated ambition. We need seriously stability, for it to work. I’m not convinced in the PL it works so great.
It’s failed if you like they way we have used it because we seem to have been happy to get rinsed by every club we seem to have had any dealings with, I mean we were even paying Koeman to manage the Dutch team ffs

You want Carlo wasting time trying to sell Bolasie rather than focus on the first team?

Interesting.

Ancelotti has never bought and sold players in his whole 30 year career.
I’m sure his name has been used to push many a deal over the line, he may not physically be doing the negotiations but I’m almost certain the manager at some poing gets involved, you often hear players saying things such as “once I spoke to the manager I knew I wanted to sign” or something similar.

Brands will be like a lot of the players here already, his next move will be downwards unless something miraculous happens very soon.

I can see him leaving alright though, if we are stuck in the same situation as now in 12 months time, nobody will be able to argue that he has been a failure.

It's not the role that is the issue, it's the person filling it.

A good DOF is like a good referee, you know they are doing a good job when you don't need to talk about them.#

I'm actually glad that we are not just diving in and over-paying for players, but the problems this year are in large part a product of the shambles that was last year and more broadly, Brands' seeming failure to re-align the role such that we are able to find the best/better prospects at an age and stage of their career where we can buy and get real value for money with the potential for profit on re-sale.

On an individual player basis, a 29-year old Allan doesn't fit that brief, nor does Gabriel if bigger clubs are already fishing around and will to pay up now, nor does Arias. Not that any of them couldn't improve us, but I don't see any strategy beginning to emerge at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.