Match Thread Everton vs Chelsea - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure about that but judging a season after one game , a season that will be like no other, is folly

It's not just after 1 season though mate.

Chelsea have a very good team/squad. You've added Koulibaly and Cuccurella and will likely get a striker too.

Chelsea came 3rd last season, in what was a weird season for yourselves, and won the CL the season before that. I don't see United overtaking you at this point.

As for yesterday, you werent hugely impressive, but look solid defensively and hard to beat, which is always a good sign for me. Some of the defending, particularly from Silva was exceptional.

Not sure if mention but I thought the atmosphere in the 10 minutes before kick off was great, plenty of people excited for the season.
The Godfrey injury did dampen it a bit but still the crowd was good, even when we were a goal down they didn't turn on the players, it's was a positive day

Some interesting comments So here’s some from a Chelsea point of view.

We are far from ready for the start of the season the early starting date of the season, the late finish to the 21/22 season meant that most of our squad only had two-three weeks off . Yes I know other teams were likewise impacted but there have been two approaches to it.
The first where you try to gain fitness in the early PL games and the second is where some clubs choose to restrict players to far shorter breaks and were into games within a matter of days.The timing of the WC will impact come December and if clubs go full tilt too early.

Yesterday TT clearly hoped we would just do enough irrespective that’s what he got!

We were poor of that there was no doubt but away from home, first game of the season at a ground we have a terrible record we will take a 1-0 every day of the week.The fact he played 5 players over the age of 30 meant he was relying on experience that won’t be the case going forward

You are clearly a far worse team without Richarlinson and should you not get a decent forward or somehow DCL stays fit ( that seems a tall order) then you just dont seem to have the tools going forward .

Ali is a spent force and there was a reason he didn’t start. The lad you got from Rangers did well McNeil struggled but that wasn’t surprising

Neither keeper had a lot to do to be honest but Pickford made two huge mistakes yesterday, the first lead to the injury and the second he got away with because Sterling was offside .

Tawkoski will be solid for you but you are going to have to forget Mina. If a mouse farts he gets injured.!

Mendy made one save that was for the cameras. James , Mount, Havertz we’re way off the pace

With or without Richarlison, that was a better performance from us as a template. We looked better drilled without the ball, and much better off set plays.

I didnt think Chelsea looked like scoring, barring a dubious penalty, way over what the alotted time should have been, off the back of a free kick that should never have been given.

For us, it was an almost day. Tarkowskis header, the double save off Holgate and Doucoure 2nd half, Silvas block off Gray. Also the lack of a header from Gordon and through ball from Gray, where we were inches away from 2 more clear chances. It was close for us, but not quite.

We need to improve the personnel on the template. Another forward, DCL back, and Gueye/Onana will make a big difference. Once they get integrated, we will be a lot better than last season, which at times was a complete shambles.

Like yourselves, we looked a bit off the pace, but honestly not sure we looked worse than last season.

Godfrey injury is a massive shame, and Im a fan of the lad….but….he way of tackling has caught up with him a little here….its part of his game and has to accept it…seems like thats exactly what he has done with his tweet.

How do you know he’s ignored it? Like I said he’s trying to do multiple deals at once and get them at budget friendly deals which is why I think, like with Onana, we’ll get a striker from France as it’s seemily easier to do staged payment deals with clubs there
Why wasn't he doing his job 6 weeks ago? We had a great chance of beating Chelsea yesterday but took a knife without a blade to a gunfight.

Need a CF - not new info.

Played a lot better then most of last season, good case to be made for us being unlucky yesterday.

Two injuries, one horrific, we’re cursed - not new info.

With the planned squad additions and Frank’s guidance, despite the result I’m sleeping a little easier than expected.
I had very low expectations and I’m actually annoyed we didn’t get a point which I feel we deserved. Huge midfield upgrade coming, just need a slotter

We are far from ready for the start of the season the early starting date of the season, the late finish to the 21/22 season meant that most of our squad only had two-three weeks off . Yes I know other teams were likewise impacted but there have been two approaches to it.
The first where you try to gain fitness in the early PL games and the second is where some clubs choose to restrict players to far shorter breaks and were into games within a matter of days.The timing of the WC will impact come December and if clubs go full tilt too early.

Yesterday TT clearly hoped we would just do enough irrespective that’s what he got!

We were poor of that there was no doubt but away from home, first game of the season at a ground we have a terrible record we will take a 1-0 every day of the week.The fact he played 5 players over the age of 30 meant he was relying on experience that won’t be the case going forward

You are clearly a far worse team without Richarlinson and should you not get a decent forward or somehow DCL stays fit ( that seems a tall order) then you just dont seem to have the tools going forward .

Ali is a spent force and there was a reason he didn’t start. The lad you got from Rangers did well McNeil struggled but that wasn’t surprising

Neither keeper had a lot to do to be honest but Pickford made two huge mistakes yesterday, the first lead to the injury and the second he got away with because Sterling was offside .

Tawkoski will be solid for you but you are going to have to forget Mina. If a mouse farts he gets injured.!

Mendy made one save that was for the cameras. James , Mount, Havertz we’re way off the pace

Bit harsh to blame Pickford for the injury. If the officials do their job properly, then it doesn't happen. The ball was 2 yards out of play.

The diving from Chelsea and the poor officiating didn't help us. The "foul" for the free kick in the build up to the penalty should have been an obvious yellow card for Sterling but the ref was abysmal.

Why wasn't he doing his job 6 weeks ago? We had a great chance of beating Chelsea yesterday but took a knife without a blade to a gunfight.
He’s been doing the job all summer, let’s not forget that we had to sell Richarlison early on to appease the P&L 6 weeks ago. If we weren’t under restrictions we’d have probably gone stupid and paid £60m for Broja and Gallagher, £25m for Gibbs-White, not got Vinagre, McNeil and Onana on better deals etc

Some good feedback and comments mate.

For what it's worth and it's just my opinion.. I think you might get relegated and we'll finish a respectable 10th.

If you don't get relegated and somehow scrape a CL spot, it'll be because of Silva. What a quality centre back he is, almost as good as Micheal Keane who is available if you need another defender.

You do look about as blunt as us up top which is bizarre considering the money you have at your disposal. We may be able to help with that though as well as we have a young kid called Rondon coming through the ranks who won't sign a contract extension

Bit harsh to blame Pickford for the injury. If the officials do their job properly, then it doesn't happen. The ball was 2 yards out of play.

The diving from Chelsea and the poor officiating didn't help us. The "foul" for the free kick in the build up to the penalty should have been an obvious yellow card for Sterling but the ref was abysmal.
The thing is, if it's that far out of play why did he feel the need to try and keep it in

Status
Not open for further replies.