Match Thread Everton vs Chelsea - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
State of the game makes me sick. They never looked remotely like scoring and only managed to do so through a passage of play that followed Sterling getting a free kick for falling over himself. Then they saw out the game like a pre-season friendly with all of their substitutions. What's the point?

Thought we could/should of gotten something from today, and felt we needed too.

Next game is away so well loose that, So Forest is the next game we should be getting 3 points from

Maybe I was watching a different game but Chelsea never looked under pressure and did the bare minimum. People might rail about the penno but it was right and if not that they still could have upped their game. We stole a 1-0 loss.

Doucoure, Holgate and Iwobi were excellent. Holgate came straight on and snuffed out three corners and about another 4/5 later on.
Doucoure won so many balls, whether that’s cos he knew Onana and Gueye are coming.
I used to hate Iwobi, but his energy and work rate is ridiculous and he deserves a good go in that midfield. That performance was a lot better than I expected,
It’s a pity it’s same old Everton with a stupid mistake and a season long injury. So glad we bought some defenders.

Personally, I think it should've been a draw. The only positive I could see is that we didn't lose the plot and get blown out. Part of me likes to think the football gods were owing Chelsea one after last season's games, where they should've beaten us.

We have made pathetic attempts to sign a striker - most of the effort went on chasing Cornet but we baulked at paying the £17.5 million to trigger the release clause. Despite seeming to be quite willing to spend twice that much on an inexperienced midfield player.
I’m also disappointed with efforts to sign a striker or winger who can give us 10+ goals. Suddenly the coffers open up and we spend on Onana and McNeil, yet turn a blind eye to replacing Richarlison’s goals.

That said, Onana could be great signing, but we need to identify these types of players a year earlier. By paying a small fortune, we have assumed all the risk in the transaction.

Inability to score essentially cuts our margin for error to zero and we are unable to overcome one mistake yet again.

I reckon they will be top 4 mate.

We deserved a draw. By the looks of things today, there will be a few teams far worse than us this season. Potentially Gerrards Villa which will be glorious.
Nah. Spurs, City and RS will be a class apart and I can see Man Utd or Arsenal having better seasons.

We have made pathetic attempts to sign a striker - most of the effort went on chasing Cornet but we baulked at paying the £17.5 million to trigger the release clause. Despite seeming to be quite willing to spend twice that much on an inexperienced midfield player.
It’s almost like something dodgy is going on behind the scenes!

They never really troubled us yesterday, and were fortunate to get that penalty, particularly after the Sterling dive to get a free kick, that meant they were on the attack rather than defending. The ref was abysmal and this 'new' directive, not giving free kick for falling over when there is no real challenge, will only apply to teams that play the top 6. They will still have the refs in their pockets and the media blind to what is happening - MOTD didn't show the Sterling dive - for obvious reasons as they'd have to comment on it. But did show the tackle on Henderson that was in the build up to Fulham's first goal. I think VAR even reviewed it and said it was too far back to disallow the goal.
After Richarlison left, we should have given Simms a run out in the pre season, to see if he could maybe do a job for us, but Lampard didn't. Either he doesn't think he's good enough yet, so needs another spell on loan, and/or we've definitely got a striker lined up. Because I can't believe Lampard would be so stupid to go into the season with only two strikers.

I am very happy with what I saw yesterday, we lost to chelsea only 1-0 with goals from a penalty kick, I also saw some good play, which was impossible last year, we managed to make a good impression without a real striker.
Iwobi was Great.

My enthusiasm for the season has evaporated in record time. Usually it takes a few months, but losing two centre backs long term on the first day of the season instantly puts us on the back foot.

Grim.

Selling your best player because the club is run by idiots is not the change I envisaged.
Im not going to totally blame the sale of Richarlison on the people that run the club, the only way he would have stayed us if we had of had champions league. We could argue after the investment would should have champions league football, but that hasn’t worked out even utd didn’t get it last season, it isn’t easy. In the main while Richarlison was here our football was dire, I actually saw more positives in the game yesterday than I had for a long time. Yes Richarlison might have saved us many times, but have we improved since he came to Everton, No we have gotten worse not his fault but I'm fed up with us treading water. I want to see nice football with a younger squad and if we have to sell a player to try and achieve that then I’m all for it.

My enthusiasm for the season has evaporated in record time. Usually it takes a few months, but losing two centre backs long term on the first day of the season instantly puts us on the back foot.

Grim.

It does but at least the window is still Open.

Plenty to be positive about yesterday.

Hopefully with Onana & Gueye due to be announced tomorrow we can add Coady and a Striker this week too before the Villa game.

Grim.
The Mina injury is the one, I was hoping he might start the season and get an injury free run, 70 minutes and he’s injured again, we must get a replacement Coady if we can would be ok. Godfrey was unlucky and he’s likely to come back and stay injury free, Mina I’m not sure that can happen with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.