Match Thread Everton vs Chelsea - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We defended pretty solidly against a top 3 team,, they created very little, we had some decent chances and could easily have come away with a point.
Against lesser teams, we'll get some reward. Yes we need a striker/focal point but there are big improvements over last season
Don't be fooled by the weak showing from Chelsea...they were very poor and sat up once in front...lampard seem to also think that it wasn't too bad as a result considering the opposition...we'll see next week at villa really if there is progress or of indeed chelsea was very poor...

Of course it's too early to gain perspective, but you are trying to make said perspective on one game.

The discussion around Richarlison is also not so much, will we miss him, but more how much will we miss him given the replacements we ate getting.

We didnt lose that game because of Richarlison though. We lost because a dubious penalty was given, and I'm really sorry but if you think that was a free kick in Sterling in the build up, you really dont know about football mate. I can see a world where the pen is given, but you cant get free kicks for slipping over.

I'm also not sure what you mean by Tarkowski being too tight. He is stood off Sterling. You can see he stops and doesnt even touch Sterling as he slips. If you're saying defenders cant defend like that, you're essentially saying you can defend at all, as if you are stoid within 2 metres of an attacker it's a foul.

But alas, I'm not sure 1 game, against a substantially better team is really enough to judge we will fatally miss Richarlison. We probably missed a fully fit DCL more. As someone who watches us most weeks though, the shape, defensive organisation, and set peice defending was a lot better than last year with Richarlison

There were several free kicks given in the game just like every game where they are soft where if its awarded against you jump up and down and it’s it’s in your favour you smile and accept it gratefully. Toward the end of the game the ref awarded a free kick against Pulsic whch was very soft and Alan Smith on Sky made comment , just like he did for the Sterling one, questions the decision.

You defended the free kick and there were around half a dozen or so touches before the ball found it’s way to Chillwell.

We didn’t loose a point or give away a penalty because of that poor referring decision we got back in shape and defended.

The

There were several free kicks given in the game just like every game where they are soft where if its awarded against you jump up and down and it’s it’s in your favour you smile and accept it gratefully. Toward the end of the game the ref awarded a free kick against Pulsic whch was very soft and Alan Smith on Sky made comment , just like he did for the Sterling one, questions the decision.

You defended the free kick and there were around half a dozen or so touches before the ball found it’s way to Chillwell.

We didn’t loose a point or give away a penalty because of that poor referring decision we got back in shape and defended.

The

It was a ridiculous free kick mate, and put us in the back foot when we needed a way out.

My central point is more, that we didnt lose because of a lack of Richarlison. And also that while we will miss him, the shape/defensive organisation was much better yesterday.

We look a better team. Yes very early days, but yesterday was a bit of an improvement. Hopefully we can keep that going and get a couple more in.

It was a ridiculous free kick mate, and put us in the back foot when we needed a way out.

My central point is more, that we didnt lose because of a lack of Richarlison. And also that while we will miss him, the shape/defensive organisation was much better yesterday.

We look a better team. Yes very early days, but yesterday was a bit of an improvement. Hopefully we can keep that going and get a couple more in.
I gree it wasn’t a great decision but he, the ref made several bad calls yes it put you on the back foot but there was at least one phase of play after the kick there was opportunity to get out but you sat in the defensive shape and Chillwell was found in plenty of space

The thing about Richarlinson is moot because even if he had still been with you he would have been banned ! I do think you are going to miss him big time.

I gree it wasn’t a great decision but he, the ref made several bad calls yes it put you on the back foot but there was at least one phase of play after the kick there was opportunity to get out but you sat in the defensive shape and Chillwell was found in plenty of space

The thing about Richarlinson is moot because even if he had still been with you he would have been banned ! I do think you are going to miss him big time.

Let's call it as it was.... Sterling took a dive, the ref should have booked him, and only he knows why he didn't.

We will miss him mate, without doubt, and DCL if hes not fit. Weve improved in other areas. I suppose the question is the weight on each part.

I dont mean it dismissively, but you dont watch us every week, so maybe don't see the improvements to much of last season.

Expected a defeat and got a defeat, what I wasn’t expecting was a good performance from us but that is what we got. Plenty of effort and positive signs and much more of a team ‘unit’ than I expected in terms of all helping each other.

For us, plenty to be positive about, but we do need a couple of new faces.
Damn injuries on the opening day we could have done without.

For Chelsea, they are going to struggle to get top 4 if this performance is anything to go by. I can actually see them taking a while to gel together.

Oh, and feck off Sterling and Chilwell you diving divas.

Last edited:

Gordon actually jumping for a single header might have been a start.

Look, im not going after the boy, he was tasked with a very difficult job yesterday, so I give him lots of mitigation, but he was beyond bad, im sorry, he just was.
I don't agree and your criticisms are exaggerated

Status
Not open for further replies.