2017/18 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the difference between the RS and our fans right here. Solanke has one goal for them in what was virtually a dead rubber despite playing for a team far better than ours. Yet they talk him up as worthy of a place in the England squad. Calvert Lewin does ok for us in an absolute dog turd of a season and we want him punting out the door.

Good player for the squad. Why does every youngster have to be at Ronaldo’s level at 20 or they are derided? In a good team he’d get into double figures for goals in a season in my opinion. Not a bad return for the fee we paid.

same people are saying we should sign vardy, who is the perfect example of being able to improve.
Look at the RS accross the road, look at there left back

Think he would be a better option than Tosun in the bigger games away from home and even possibly at home.
Sont care fight me!

same people are saying we should sign vardy, who is the perfect example of being able to improve.

exactly this, at DCL's age Vardy had literally just been turned down for a trial at Crewe whilst still playing for Stockbridge Park Steels youth team

They seem to make out like they plucked Robertson out of footballing obscurity. He'd been in the top three left-backs in the Premier League for Hull the season before.

Even then, it took until about Christmas for them to finally realise that Moreno is a bin-fire and actually play him.

This is the difference between the RS and our fans right here. Solanke has one goal for them in what was virtually a dead rubber despite playing for a team far better than ours. Yet they talk him up as worthy of a place in the England squad. Calvert Lewin does ok for us in an absolute dog turd of a season and we want him punting out the door.
Do you actually know any Liverpool fans or look at sources outside of this forum? I ask because you often come out with utter tripe like this and I don't know whether you actually believe it or are just on some weird wind up.

I know plenty of matchgoing Liverpool fans who've been giving Solanke dogs abuse this year, and they say that he gets stick at the games aswell. You only have to search his name on twitter and you're inundated with tweets calling him allsorts. The only difference between how their fans see Solanke and how ours see DCL is that they're in the CL final and finished 4th so couldn't give a flying one whether a young lad scored many goals, while we've just seen an unbelievably disappointing campaign and so are concerned that some of our players might not be very good.

I think he is one of those players who will be alright in a number of positions, maximum effort but will excel at none.

has he been worth 1.5 mill, you would have to say definitely.

Do you actually know any Liverpool fans or look at sources outside of this forum? I ask because you often come out with utter tripe like this and I don't know whether you actually believe it or are just on some weird wind up.

I know plenty of matchgoing Liverpool fans who've been giving Solanke dogs abuse this year, and they say that he gets stick at the games aswell. You only have to search his name on twitter and you're inundated with tweets calling him allsorts. The only difference between how their fans see Solanke and how ours see DCL is that they're in the CL final and finished 4th so couldn't give a flying one whether a young lad scored many goals, while we've just seen an unbelievably disappointing campaign and so are concerned that some of our players might not be very good.

By suggesting that we’ve been harsher to a lad who has done ok for us than they have to one who has been awful for them? Ok. You’ve even agreed with me by saying they’ve not been bothered by his poor form regardless of the reason.

Don't think it would be a PL team either because he isn't yet good enough and we certainly don't need him as a bit part player here.
You see I disagree with this 100% on two counts. Firstly, I do believe he is a premiership player. Secondly, whilst we may or may not NEED him next season as a bit part player, as far as I'm concerned we definitely WANT him here, so that we can oversee and control his further development.

Apart from the occasional gash and crap shouts from the usual sources (which is a lot more than just a couple as an earlier poster claimed) the general opinion on here is that, whilst his overall game is okay and has improved, his end product is just not good enough. Well I've got some stats from a fantasy league site that would indicate that, whilst not up there with the very best, his figures are comparable with his peers in the premier league. This, and the fact that he played more minutes than any of our other strikers, in a team that finished up 8th, would point to the fact that he is actually a premiership standard player.

I imagine I could have chosen any fantasy league site and come up with pretty similar figures, but I chose one that simply awards points for goals scored and assists, ie end product. So nothing for just turning up or making 20 passes etc like some of them. He ended up with the joint 16th highest points from the 60 plus attackers who played premier league football last season. All the players who scored more points had played more games (DCL played 20) only Aubameyang had played less and he's a £50m+ player. His points tally would have been even higher had Rooney converted 2 of the penalties he won. No attacker had more assists than DCL, only Firmino and Son equalled his tally of 9.

Had he converted just 3 or 4 of the "sitters" he missed, he would have sat comfortably within the top 10 strikers for points scored. He's done this in a team that is statistically the worst in the league for creating chances and attempts on goal, and being played out of position on the wing for more than half of his games. Now I'm not suggesting for one moment he is one of the top 10 strikers in the premier league, but I'm not having it that he wouldn't be in competition for a place in any premier team outside of the top 6, which is what you are suggesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.