2017/18 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
You see I disagree with this 100% on two counts. Firstly, I do believe he is a premiership player. Secondly, whilst we may or may not NEED him next season as a bit part player, as far as I'm concerned we definitely WANT him here, so that we can oversee and control his further development.

Apart from the occasional gash and crap shouts from the usual sources (which is a lot more than just a couple as an earlier poster claimed) the general opinion on here is that, whilst his overall game is okay and has improved, his end product is just not good enough. Well I've got some stats from a fantasy league site that would indicate that, whilst not up there with the very best, his figures are comparable with his peers in the premier league. This, and the fact that he played more minutes than any of our other strikers, in a team that finished up 8th, would point to the fact that he is actually a premiership standard player.

I imagine I could have chosen any fantasy league site and come up with pretty similar figures, but I chose one that simply awards points for goals scored and assists, ie end product. So nothing for just turning up or making 20 passes etc like some of them. He ended up with the joint 16th highest points from the 60 plus attackers who played premier league football last season. All the players who scored more points had played more games (DCL played 20) only Aubameyang had played less and he's a £50m+ player. His points tally would have been even higher had Rooney converted 2 of the penalties he won. No attacker had more assists than DCL, only Firmino and Son equalled his tally of 9.

Had he converted just 3 or 4 of the "sitters" he missed, he would have sat comfortably within the top 10 strikers for points scored. He's done this in a team that is statistically the worst in the league for creating chances and attempts on goal, and being played out of position on the wing for more than half of his games. Now I'm not suggesting for one moment he is one of the top 10 strikers in the premier league, but I'm not having it that he wouldn't be in competition for a place in any premier team outside of the top 6, which is what you are suggesting.
given the laughably parlous quality of football teams outside the top 6, this is an apogee of 'damning with faint praise'

Worth £1.5M yes, long term answer no. Limited player who has had plenty of opportunities and hasn't seem to convince many that he is PL class.

given the laughably parlous quality of football teams outside the top 6, this is an apogee of 'damning with faint praise'
You're probably correct in what you say. But that doesn't make my argument incorrect.

Sending DCL on loan to the championship would be more laughable in my opinion.

He's not a finisher just yet.

But hes got pace and doesn't seem to be too bad at passing. Why not stick him on the left.

You see I disagree with this 100% on two counts. Firstly, I do believe he is a premiership player. Secondly, whilst we may or may not NEED him next season as a bit part player, as far as I'm concerned we definitely WANT him here, so that we can oversee and control his further development.

Apart from the occasional gash and crap shouts from the usual sources (which is a lot more than just a couple as an earlier poster claimed) the general opinion on here is that, whilst his overall game is okay and has improved, his end product is just not good enough. Well I've got some stats from a fantasy league site that would indicate that, whilst not up there with the very best, his figures are comparable with his peers in the premier league. This, and the fact that he played more minutes than any of our other strikers, in a team that finished up 8th, would point to the fact that he is actually a premiership standard player.

I imagine I could have chosen any fantasy league site and come up with pretty similar figures, but I chose one that simply awards points for goals scored and assists, ie end product. So nothing for just turning up or making 20 passes etc like some of them. He ended up with the joint 16th highest points from the 60 plus attackers who played premier league football last season. All the players who scored more points had played more games (DCL played 20) only Aubameyang had played less and he's a £50m+ player. His points tally would have been even higher had Rooney converted 2 of the penalties he won. No attacker had more assists than DCL, only Firmino and Son equalled his tally of 9.

Had he converted just 3 or 4 of the "sitters" he missed, he would have sat comfortably within the top 10 strikers for points scored. He's done this in a team that is statistically the worst in the league for creating chances and attempts on goal, and being played out of position on the wing for more than half of his games. Now I'm not suggesting for one moment he is one of the top 10 strikers in the premier league, but I'm not having it that he wouldn't be in competition for a place in any premier team outside of the top 6, which is what you are suggesting.

We will just have to disagree with each other then.

Would this lad be on the books or getting game time for any of the current top 6. Not in a million years. A championship player. Nothing against him. He seems a real decent lad. I just do not rate him at all as a player.
He's 21.

He's better than Solanke and Ings who get minutes at Liverpool and he's either better or similar to Iwobi and Welbeck at Arsenal.

Why do people make out like we can't afford to build young players like our squad is either full of the finished articles or just any good at all?

You're wasting your breath mate. We just have to accept that a large part of our fanbase actively want our young talent to fail.

By suggesting that we’ve been harsher to a lad who has done ok for us than they have to one who has been awful for them? Ok. You’ve even agreed with me by saying they’ve not been bothered by his poor form regardless of the reason.
No, by suggesting that Everton fans are somehow the worst fans in the world, who you somehow manage to regularly deride for both not being demanding enough and now for being too demanding.

I don't agree with you at all, my point was very clear; Liverpool fans are unhappy with Solanke and are not shy of saying so, but as their season has been successful anyway it isn't a major area of concern for them. They basically assume that if he isn't good enough they'll just replace him with someone who is. The concern for our fans (understandably) is that we will do no such thing, and would continue to regularly use a player who may underwhelm more than he impresses.

In short, people will overlook a multitude of sins when the team is successful, but questions will always be asked when it’s not. It seems fairly obvious to me.

He's 21.

He's better than Solanke and Ings who get minutes at Liverpool and he's either better or similar to Iwobi and Welbeck at Arsenal.

Why do people make out like we can't afford to build young players like our squad is either full of the finished articles or just any good at all?
But i am not making out that. I would think davis and lookman have something in their locker to make it in the premier. I dont believe dcl has. Its personal opinions. Surely one can express an opinion that they think a player just isnt good enough and doesnt have it in his locker to be good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.