Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I posted some time ago regarding my life and mental struggles. I can openly say I did/do have a gambling problem, and while I quit then it came back slowly over a few weeks, through my own struggle of resisting and possibly even a bit of unknowing enabling from my partner. When posting I think i had quit but hadn't quite "bit the bullet" and left a door open for me to do it "responsibly". Think someone said don't bother, even a tiny thing will draw you back in and it was absolutely correct.

Still struggling feeling low a fair bit, however generally the outlook has been positive. Hit a low point with the gambling 71 days ago (nothing major, no debt, nothing just having that struggle of having to do it and having it as a persistent hobby rather than a bit of fun on a Saturday but feeling that NEED to do it, even if it was only small stakes.). I can't say it's the worst night of my life, as unfortunately my family has been through a hell of a lot worse but I can say it's been the lowest I've felt through my own making. Since then I haven't looked back with betting since, still see adverts and stuff which makes me think and miss it, but ultimately I've thrown myself into work more, thrown myself into COD more, setting my gaming set up even more and really going "yeah, you know what the money I spent on football betting can now go to improving this, improving the house saving, saving money for a car etc". Gambling doesn't get the 'credit' it deserves for being a disease. Being addicted to it has shaped the entirety of my life from the age of 18, gradually taking more control. Honestly without my Mrs i'd 100% still be doing it. It is a life ruiner, and i'm lucky that I've had a mrs that has understood and been supportive. Thankfully i've closed any accounts I have but If i had the chance to look back at how much I'd lost betting over 10 years I would honestly throw up.

Also helps that work is actually a bit quieter due to COVID, become good mates with colleague in the office, Everton look like an ACTUAL football team for the first time in years and years. Looking forward to going to Goodison again. Had the courage to try Sunday League, not my thing after a few games, had an extremely unwelcoming experience with bluekipper years ago but reached 28/29 and decided I need to try it. Absolutely thrown myself into gaming, which is something i'm good at and can be a huge positive 'release' for me. Also at the point where a house deposit is on the horizon, even though its gone up to 15% we will be in a good position to buy with house prices plummeting soon. Will be starting a family soon.

I am 100% confident Everton will that positivity soon, naturally. However I feel in a better place than 3 months ago. For anyone else who feels or knows they've got a problem, there is always 100% a way out of it, you just need to find your way. I've found mine by throwing myself back into gaming and football (a good balance of activity) and distracting myself and now I feel comfortable dismissing betting or having no interest. I have other insecurities but most of the ones ive had in the past 10 years have led back in some direct, or indirect way to gambling.

Sorry for the long read, honestly don't know where else i'd post this just to vent it out I guess, but think its a good example that you can feel low, you can be lonely, you can be positive, you can be relatively happy, you can exercise, its normal but just not let those things be down to a problem that you CAN cut out. I dont think this applies just to a gambling problem, it can relate to smoking and drinking and others im sure. I still feel quite isolated, I don't have a social group, just a work mate or two and my fiance, so can be quite low and lonely sometimes, but apart from that I'm still managing to be positive and focus on the positive aspects of things. Honestly if you can do that, then you can overcome almost anything.

Hopefully another good performance tonight by the blues and I can hit day 72 with another positive start.

Vent away buddy. Talking is always the best.

Well done for what you have come through and finding ways to distract yourself from gambling. As you say, it really is a disease for some people and I have seen it ruin people, The adverts to gamble are everywhere and should be toned down.

Great to see you setting goals mate and seeing what you can achieve in life without the gambling. Good luck getting that house and I am sure you will get it.

https://www.gamstop.co.uk/ Anyone having problems with gambling can self exclude from all online gambling on the Gamstop site. You can also find help there if needed.

Vent away buddy. Talking is always the best.

Well done for what you have come through and finding ways to distract yourself from gambling. As you say, it really is a disease for some people and I have seen it ruin people, The adverts to gamble are everywhere and should be toned down.

Great to see you setting goals mate and seeing what you can achieve in life without the gambling. Good luck getting that house and I am sure you will get it.

https://www.gamstop.co.uk/ Anyone having problems with gambling can self exclude from all online gambling on the Gamstop site. You can also find help there if needed.
Gambling is a terrible addiction, it's the only addiction that allows the addict to believe they can use the addiction to get away from it.. bet their way out of trouble with a big win.. no alcoholic believes they can drink their way out of their addiction.

I posted some time ago regarding my life and mental struggles. I can openly say I did/do have a gambling problem, and while I quit then it came back slowly over a few weeks, through my own struggle of resisting and possibly even a bit of unknowing enabling from my partner. When posting I think i had quit but hadn't quite "bit the bullet" and left a door open for me to do it "responsibly". Think someone said don't bother, even a tiny thing will draw you back in and it was absolutely correct.

Still struggling feeling low a fair bit, however generally the outlook has been positive. Hit a low point with the gambling 71 days ago (nothing major, no debt, nothing just having that struggle of having to do it and having it as a persistent hobby rather than a bit of fun on a Saturday but feeling that NEED to do it, even if it was only small stakes.). I can't say it's the worst night of my life, as unfortunately my family has been through a hell of a lot worse but I can say it's been the lowest I've felt through my own making. Since then I haven't looked back with betting since, still see adverts and stuff which makes me think and miss it, but ultimately I've thrown myself into work more, thrown myself into COD more, setting my gaming set up even more and really going "yeah, you know what the money I spent on football betting can now go to improving this, improving the house saving, saving money for a car etc". Gambling doesn't get the 'credit' it deserves for being a disease. Being addicted to it has shaped the entirety of my life from the age of 18, gradually taking more control. Honestly without my Mrs i'd 100% still be doing it. It is a life ruiner, and i'm lucky that I've had a mrs that has understood and been supportive. Thankfully i've closed any accounts I have but If i had the chance to look back at how much I'd lost betting over 10 years I would honestly throw up.

Also helps that work is actually a bit quieter due to COVID, become good mates with colleague in the office, Everton look like an ACTUAL football team for the first time in years and years. Looking forward to going to Goodison again. Had the courage to try Sunday League, not my thing after a few games, had an extremely unwelcoming experience with bluekipper years ago but reached 28/29 and decided I need to try it. Absolutely thrown myself into gaming, which is something i'm good at and can be a huge positive 'release' for me. Also at the point where a house deposit is on the horizon, even though its gone up to 15% we will be in a good position to buy with house prices plummeting soon. Will be starting a family soon.

I am 100% confident Everton will that positivity soon, naturally. However I feel in a better place than 3 months ago. For anyone else who feels or knows they've got a problem, there is always 100% a way out of it, you just need to find your way. I've found mine by throwing myself back into gaming and football (a good balance of activity) and distracting myself and now I feel comfortable dismissing betting or having no interest. I have other insecurities but most of the ones ive had in the past 10 years have led back in some direct, or indirect way to gambling.

Sorry for the long read, honestly don't know where else i'd post this just to vent it out I guess, but think its a good example that you can feel low, you can be lonely, you can be positive, you can be relatively happy, you can exercise, its normal but just not let those things be down to a problem that you CAN cut out. I dont think this applies just to a gambling problem, it can relate to smoking and drinking and others im sure. I still feel quite isolated, I don't have a social group, just a work mate or two and my fiance, so can be quite low and lonely sometimes, but apart from that I'm still managing to be positive and focus on the positive aspects of things. Honestly if you can do that, then you can overcome almost anything.

Hopefully another good performance tonight by the blues and I can hit day 72 with another positive start.
really happy for you mate, keep it up.

Just found out my second cousin has killed herself today. My mum says she was in her mid to late 20's like me. She has a daughter who just started reception. I can't imagine what her close family is going through. edit: she was also engaged.

She was from a part of the family we never had much contact with, and I don't think I ever met her, but its the first person I'm related to who has committed suicide and its a hard thing to wrap my mind around. It sends shockwaves throughout the whole family, even distant relatives like me.

It makes you want to say "Anyone reading this please speak out, its okay", but it doesn't feel like enough. You want to do more but what else can you really do to help them?

My 15 year old daughter has just contacted me as it's my birthday this weekend.
" Dad can you pick me up at 11 at drop me off at home again at 1pm as mum has arranged for me and her to go for cake "
My ex wife is an absolute bully yet my daughter can't see it. I'm absolutely fuming.

My 15 year old daughter has just contacted me as it's my birthday this weekend.
" Dad can you pick me up at 11 at drop me off at home again at 1pm as mum has arranged for me and her to go for cake "
My ex wife is an absolute bully yet my daughter can't see it. I'm absolutely fuming.
Your wife knows how to get under your skin mate, and knows how to hurt you and she enjoys it, So childish, horrible and pathetic too - that after everything she's done she's still getting kicks from hurting you. I very much doubt you're the only one that dislikes her. It obviously wasn't her personality that attracted her to you. Your daughter may be oblivious to her actions now but she's 15 - at the end of her childhood, she's going to change so much in the next couple of years. I've raised a couple of daughters and believe me it's this age that they go from your innocent little princesses to absolute demons so your ex wife is going to meet her equal soon and you can sit back and laugh cos she's going to be doing your exs head in and arguing constantly and running to you to get back at her mum. Your ex obviously knows how to push your buttons and enjoys it knowing she's hurting you, I know she gets under your skin but if she thought she had no control on you and that she couldn't get a reaction out of you it would destroy her - her reign would be over. If you can try not to give her a reaction go the opposite way smile, be nice ask her how she's doing etc be really false if you strip the power from her she has nothing. I do it with the mother outlaw she is the vilest person you could meet except your ex and her ma lol. After years of fights I bit my lip and tried it she absolutely hates it and I'm actually enjoying how uncomfortable I make her feel now I'm always smiling and asking her how she is beep the horn if I see her I even phoned her on her birthday to wish her all the best knowing the whole family were there saying that was so nice I know it ruined her birthday haha. Don't let the ex set the narrative don't let her see how she hurts you. You're a strong man you've come through so much crap take back your life make her think she can't hurt you in return that'll hurt her. Your daughters lack of understanding will change soon enough just be the loving strong dad that'll be there when her mum starts trying to control her life. God Bless mate and don't doubt how strong you can be you've shown so much strength already these last couple of years

Your wife knows how to get under your skin mate, and knows how to hurt you and she enjoys it, So childish, horrible and pathetic too - that after everything she's done she's still getting kicks from hurting you. I very much doubt you're the only one that dislikes her. It obviously wasn't her personality that attracted her to you. Your daughter may be oblivious to her actions now but she's 15 - at the end of her childhood, she's going to change so much in the next couple of years. I've raised a couple of daughters and believe me it's this age that they go from your innocent little princesses to absolute demons so your ex wife is going to meet her equal soon and you can sit back and laugh cos she's going to be doing your exs head in and arguing constantly and running to you to get back at her mum. Your ex obviously knows how to push your buttons and enjoys it knowing she's hurting you, I know she gets under your skin but if she thought she had no control on you and that she couldn't get a reaction out of you it would destroy her - her reign would be over. If you can try not to give her a reaction go the opposite way smile, be nice ask her how she's doing etc be really false if you strip the power from her she has nothing. I do it with the mother outlaw she is the vilest person you could meet except your ex and her ma lol. After years of fights I bit my lip and tried it she absolutely hates it and I'm actually enjoying how uncomfortable I make her feel now I'm always smiling and asking her how she is beep the horn if I see her I even phoned her on her birthday to wish her all the best knowing the whole family were there saying that was so nice I know it ruined her birthday haha. Don't let the ex set the narrative don't let her see how she hurts you. You're a strong man you've come through so much crap take back your life make her think she can't hurt you in return that'll hurt her. Your daughters lack of understanding will change soon enough just be the loving strong dad that'll be there when her mum starts trying to control her life. God Bless mate and don't doubt how strong you can be you've shown so much strength already these last couple of years
Thankyou mate. I love your honesty. I am struggling and it's hard.
I don't actually hate my ex. I just told my daughter " I want to spend quality time with you then drop you off home with your mother say hiya and drive off.

Thankyou mate. I love your honesty. I am struggling and it's hard.
I don't actually hate my ex. I just told my daughter " I want to spend quality time with you then drop you off home with your mother say hiya and drive off.
Hi mate I know it's hard. It's been really hard for you, you really have come through a tough time and because of your daughter you still will until she's an adult, so you're going to have to try and make these next couple of years as pleasant and easy on YOU as you can. Are you honestly over your ex? Would you take her back? Life's really not easy. I went through a real tough time a couple of years ago the whole world seemed to come crashing down on me and I didn't think I could carry on - to be honest I didn't even know if I wanted to carry on. It was my kids that stopped me from doing anything stupid. As silly as it sounds it was a conversation I had with my mum that turned me around. I remember breaking down talking to her and saying I don't think I can take anymore and I thought life was supposed to be easy. Instead of trying to comfort me she simply pulled back and said loudly 'Who the hell told you life is easy' It actually made me laugh and I looked at everything different then realising she was right and started fighting back accepting things and trying to change other things and set out to make life and circumstances as manageable as I could accepting life's what we make of it, shrugging my shoulders, dusting myself down and getting back up again. A couple of years later life's not perfect it's not what I would have picked but I'm happy actually really happy now Life can turn around so quickly. - You just gotta stay strong, fight back and never let it beat you. We're all alot stronger than we think, and you're alot stronger Dave than you give yourself credit for - we all seen that through your messages. We're all routing for you on here, we've got your back and always will and it's a real pleasure to talk to you brother. Oh and Happy birthday mate.

Hi mate I know it's hard. It's been really hard for you, you really have come through a tough time and because of your daughter you still will until she's an adult, so you're going to have to try and make these next couple of years as pleasant and easy on YOU as you can. Are you honestly over your ex? Would you take her back? Life's really not easy. I went through a real tough time a couple of years ago the whole world seemed to come crashing down on me and I didn't think I could carry on - to be honest I didn't even know if I wanted to carry on. It was my kids that stopped me from doing anything stupid. As silly as it sounds it was a conversation I had with my mum that turned me around. I remember breaking down talking to her and saying I don't think I can take anymore and I thought life was supposed to be easy. Instead of trying to comfort me she simply pulled back and said loudly 'Who the hell told you life is easy' It actually made me laugh and I looked at everything different then realising she was right and started fighting back accepting things and trying to change other things and set out to make life and circumstances as manageable as I could accepting life's what we make of it, shrugging my shoulders, dusting myself down and getting back up again. A couple of years later life's not perfect it's not what I would have picked but I'm happy actually really happy now Life can turn around so quickly. - You just gotta stay strong, fight back and never let it beat you. We're all alot stronger than we think, and you're alot stronger Dave than you give yourself credit for - we all seen that through your messages. We're all routing for you on here, we've got your back and always will and it's a real pleasure to talk to you brother. Oh and Happy birthday mate.
No I'm not over her mate.

I'm drained mate. Why would my ex arrange cake and and coffee at 1pm on my birthday with my daughter.
My birthday is 21st(Monday) but I work away and birthdays I don't care much about but why would anyone put there own daughter in that position.
It's just horrible yet my daughter doesn't see it.