Homepage Update: Davy Klaassen Wants Everton Stay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy to collect his pay cheque for doing nothing.

I'd respect him more if he said nothing
So you'd respect him more for doing a 'Winston Bogarde' by taking his pay, not playing at all and showing no real fight or desire to change this?

While it may simply be rhetoric from him, I'm more inclined to believe that it's in fact a show of his attitude and desire to actually play for us.

In plain English, he knows there’s not a club on the planet that will pay him what we do, so he’ll play the game so we subsidise his next contract & pay his loyalty bonus.

Koeman’s mess will be expensive to fix. Williams, Mirallas, Bolasie & Klaasen will be costly to move on.

Or just maybe he feels like he has something to prove, maybe he wants to play in the Premier League?

We have a number of players who will be difficult to move on because of the amount we pay them. If we are going to pay large amounts perhaps it could depend on how players perform, year by year, rather than a high starting salary with the usual bonuses. Players would start on less with the increases built in to their salaries if they play a set number of games, for example. If they succeed they get the pay; if not, they stay on the starting salary.

We have a number of players who will be difficult to move on because of the amount we pay them. If we are going to pay large amounts perhaps it could depend on how players perform, year by year, rather than a high starting salary with the usual bonuses. Players would start on less with the increases built in to their salaries if they play a set number of games, for example. If they succeed they get the pay; if not, they stay on the starting salary.

The reality is that players with a good reputation get big basic wages and big match bonuses. You can implement a system like you say but all that's gonna happen is that we'll constantly have the rug pulled from underneath and players will go elsewhere. Like any other business you have to pay the market rate.

The fact that he's looked so poor and has barely featured in games could suggest that he's simply not being used properly. It sounds silly but a minor positional or tactical change can massively affect a player's performances. Stick him in a side with a cohesive plan that's ticking along nicely then we can see whether he's good, bad or simply a poor fit for the PL.

Look at Pogba. A world class talent on the left of a central midfield 3 with space to play but put him in a midfield 2 and hand him a little more responsibility in other areas of the field and he's often an empty shirt - headline grabbingly poor.
Same with Veron. Undoubtedly a brilliant midfielder but couldn't slot into a system within the PL.

The reality is that players with a good reputation get big basic wages and big match bonuses. You can implement a system like you say but all that's gonna happen is that we'll constantly have the rug pulled from underneath and players will go elsewhere. Like any other business you have to pay the market rate.

What I am suggesting is that we are paying above the market rates for the players we have signed, to ensure we get them. That's why it's likely to be difficult to move them on.

What I am suggesting is that we are paying above the market rates for the players we have signed, to ensure we get them. That's why it's likely to be difficult to move them on.

Perhaps. An incentive is needed to get players and sometimes it's financial. I don't know whether other sides wanted Klassen at the time and what kind of offers were on the table. I'd be fairly sure there was other interest in him apart from ourselves as his stock was fairly high at the time on the back of Ajax's run to the Europa final. Even after his miserable start at Everton there was still interest from Napoli in the Jan window who were a serious contender for the Serie A title.

I was replying more to the performance based element of your post. It'd be very hard to get players in on deals that are weighed heavily towards wages being based on performance rather than guaranteed amount plus bonuses - it's usually players with something to prove and few, if any, other options who end up on these kind of deals.

A player coming towards his peak years knows he's only a bad tackle away from a loss of form or that poor performances from team-mates or managers will stifle their earnings. Also these deals are susceptible to players being dropped simply to save costs to the club should finances head south or even a spiteful manager.

No agent worth their salt would encourage clients onto heavily performance based contracts unless it was a last resort. And if a club bases their wage structure on this kind of deal then it's going to be a series of disappointing transfer windows....something we're more than familiar with.

Same for Lookman really then and Vlasic, neither have done anything in this league, we should get them out while they have value, amirite?!?!
No because Koeman didn’t sign them for 24mil and then choose to leave them on the bench. They were signed by Walsh as players of the future and RonKo said as much. Koeman expected Klassen to contribute, spent a load on him, and then said ah crap I made a mistake. Davy is also 4-5 years their senior...Apples and oranges goat and you know that.

3 manager theory
1st manager- sticks him out a wing
2nd manager- thought gylfi sigurdsson up front was a good idea
3rd manager- thought playing Rooney in midfield was a good idea, kept playing a hopeless Davies.

Didn't want to go on loan theory
What exactly is the problem here? Plus wasn't there an imagine rights problem?

Hasn't taken his chances
He hasn't had a chance!!!!

If he wanted to go on loan, he would have. Simple.

He started 3 Europa League games and 3 prem games and looked lost. Then each manager felt some of the youth players were better than him (Benni and Davies).

Niasse played in the PL under Hull, Davy got shipped in from Holland in a dreadful team under a dreadful manager who he tried to shoehorn in. He's barely had time at all to settle in. I'm willing to give him and Sandro 1 more season to see if they're capable or not. No one played good last season everything about Everton was utter garbage.

Again, he still came from another country and didn't get any game time for us until he was shipped out in January.

Thing is...he played in the under 23s too. Which apparently, old Davy didn't want to.

And Koeman even admitted he bought him knowing full well he may struggle in the league physically.

The fact that he's looked so poor and has barely featured in games could suggest that he's simply not being used properly. It sounds silly but a minor positional or tactical change can massively affect a player's performances. Stick him in a side with a cohesive plan that's ticking along nicely then we can see whether he's good, bad or simply a poor fit for the PL.

Look at Pogba. A world class talent on the left of a central midfield 3 with space to play but put him in a midfield 2 and hand him a little more responsibility in other areas of the field and he's often an empty shirt - headline grabbingly poor.
Same with Veron. Undoubtedly a brilliant midfielder but couldn't slot into a system within the PL.

I don't think he's not been played by 3 managers because he's not technically gifted. He's probably one of the best in the club technically.

But if those set of skills can't help you overcome the pace and physicality of the league, it just won't work out.

It's why Koeman, Unsworth, Sam all have good things to say about him...but most of them felt like bringing in Beni or Davies because they're more robust, have more pace, physically stronger etc.

I said right after his first game he reminded me of Bilyaletdinov. He'll have some good attributes but they won't be good enough to get him playing regularly in the prem

Status
Not open for further replies.