Homepage Update: Davy Klaassen Wants Everton Stay

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think he's not been played by 3 managers because he's not technically gifted. He's probably one of the best in the club technically.

But if those set of skills can't help you overcome the pace and physicality of the league, it just won't work out.

It's why Koeman, Unsworth, Sam all have good things to say about him...but most of them felt like bringing in Beni or Davies because they're more robust, have more pace, physically stronger etc.

I said right after his first game he reminded me of Bilyaletdinov. He'll have some good attributes but they won't be good enough to get him playing regularly in the prem

You could very well be correct and I'm inclined to agree with you but it's difficult to write him off on the back of what's been an absolute mess of a season. There has been quite a few who have struggled to adapt to the PL before going on to flourish. Look at Lamela since Pochettino came to Spurs. He looked abysmal but has been very good since things clicked there.

Perhaps. An incentive is needed to get players and sometimes it's financial. I don't know whether other sides wanted Klassen at the time and what kind of offers were on the table. I'd be fairly sure there was other interest in him apart from ourselves as his stock was fairly high at the time on the back of Ajax's run to the Europa final. Even after his miserable start at Everton there was still interest from Napoli in the Jan window who were a serious contender for the Serie A title.

I was replying more to the performance based element of your post. It'd be very hard to get players in on deals that are weighed heavily towards wages being based on performance rather than guaranteed amount plus bonuses - it's usually players with something to prove and few, if any, other options who end up on these kind of deals.

A player coming towards his peak years knows he's only a bad tackle away from a loss of form or that poor performances from team-mates or managers will stifle their earnings. Also these deals are susceptible to players being dropped simply to save costs to the club should finances head south or even a spiteful manager.

No agent worth their salt would encourage clients onto heavily performance based contracts unless it was a last resort. And if a club bases their wage structure on this kind of deal then it's going to be a series of disappointing transfer windows....something we're more than familiar with.

I agree with much of what you say but I think players come for the money, because, we are not a major club in the Premier League, on the verge of winning titles or cups, though we hope to be. Sadly, we are more a middle of the table side than challengers.

We don't have a great record in Europe either. We stand 80th in terms of the European club coefficient, a few places ahead of Southampton, West Ham. Hull and Swansea, and that is because of the good run Martinez's side put together in the Europa League. We have no European Cup wins, Champions League victories and a solitary win in the now defunct European Cup Winners Cup. We have never had a EUFA Cup or Europa League win or even a final appearance.

Our history in the English league is excellent but you have to be a certain age to remember, for example, the four League wins and three FA Cup wins I can remember. Young European players may find little of this relevant.

If they come for the money, let them earn it!

The guy came on in a couple of the last games and in both passed the ball to the opposition with no Everton player in sight. Some players need time in the prem but i dont see time solving that.

The guy came on in a couple of the last games and in both passed the ball to the opposition with no Everton player in sight. Some players need time in the prem but i dont see time solving that.

“You must have strong positioning, ability to control the ball at speed and also have the technique to deal with the speed of it [in midfield]," said Cruyff in 2014.

"Xavi, Toni Kroos and Davy Klaassen can do it. All three have perfect anticipation and they can play it both left and right excellently.

"You watch, when Klaassen plays from that position for Ajax, the tempo increases immediately. Moreover, he rarely loses possession."

I was so excited when I read this.
Cruyff must have lost the plot.

Status
Not open for further replies.