Biggest let down in recent times

Which of the following 3 scenarios have you been most disappointed with?

• The season after qualifying for the Champions League

Votes: 38 20.9%
  • The season after finishing 5th (Martinez's second season)

Votes: 70 38.5%
  • This season

Votes: 64 35.2%
  • Other

Votes: 10 5.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a downer, this thread, but still - the first Roberto season was massively exciting. The next two seasons were let downs, but the Semi Finals of the cup showed we were still doing ok. It was mixed after that, but like Koeman today, nobody could see a forward direction with Martinez in the 2nd and 3rd seasons. I think if we were playing exciting, erratic, losing football, but we were getting somewhere, he would have survived in 2016. Koeman has to show something!

I said at the time the reluctance to replace Tim Howard was a big part in Martinez getting the sack, he was horrendous. Also signing Funes Mori and not Van Dijk was another massive mistake. Imagine Butland and Van Dijk and the difference they could have made.

I said at the time the reluctance to replace Tim Howard was a big part in Martinez getting the sack, he was horrendous. Also signing Funes Mori and not Van Dijk was another massive mistake. Imagine Butland and Van Dijk and the difference they could have made.

Yeah - small margins as the cliche goes

This is a downer, this thread, but still - the first Roberto season was massively exciting. The next two seasons were let downs, but the Semi Finals of the cup showed we were still doing ok. It was mixed after that, but like Koeman today, nobody could see a forward direction with Martinez in the 2nd and 3rd seasons. I think if we were playing exciting, erratic, losing football, but we were getting somewhere, he would have survived in 2016. Koeman has to show something!

Disagree to an extent, mate. We played some brilliant attacking football in the first half of Martinez's last season. But were leaking goals all over the show as well. Obviously we were never gonna keep just banging them in all season so when the goals dried up, all that remained was a sh!te defense.

There were a few signs that Martinez could be more pragmatic but all too often we had a poorly organised defense and after he lost the players it was goodnight Vienna.

Martinez 14/15 by a clear margin for me, but would say 15/16 was possibly even more frustrating. The Arsenal 2-2 game at Goodison that we threw away in the final 10 minutes was the catalyst for 2 season worth of shambolic defending and embarrassing displays of 'snatching defeat (or draws) from the jaws of victory'. Arsenal 14-15 and then Stoke (H), Bournemouth (A), Chelsea (A), and West Ham (H) in the 15-16 season, were some of the worst giveaways i've witnessed. All games we should have won, but gifted the opposition a chance to get back in to the game. Even worse was that against Bournemouth and Chelsea we didn't just throw it away once against them, we managed it twice in the same game. We also threw away great chances to get to the Final in both Semi Finals we played in.

Awful times to watch us.

This season doesn't even come close for me. There is still some hope, whereas in those seasons there was none.

Martinez 14/15 by a clear margin for me, but would say 15/16 was possibly even more frustrating. The Arsenal 2-2 game at Goodison that we threw away in the final 10 minutes was the catalyst for 2 season worth of shambolic defending and embarrassing displays of 'snatching defeat (or draws) from the jaws of victory'. Arsenal 14-15 and then Stoke (H), Bournemouth (A), Chelsea (A), and West Ham (H) in the 15-16 season, were some of the worst giveaways i've witnessed. All games we should have won, but gifted the opposition a chance to get back in to the game. Even worse was that against Bournemouth and Chelsea we didn't just throw it away once against them, we managed it twice in the same game. We also threw away great chances to get to the Final in both Semi Finals we played in.

Awful times to watch us.

This season doesn't even come close for me. There is still some hope, whereas in those seasons there was none.

Completely agree with this, I think if we ever go two goals up in a game again (as unlikely as that sounds right now) I just won't feel comfortable in Everton seeing it through. Martinez has made me completely paranoid, I've never seen a team throw away results on such a consistent basis as those two seasons.

imagine bobby sorted out the defence when it went bad, reckon we would be absolutely flying now yenno. still get a semi on thinking how boss we were in his first season

Awful times to watch us.

And yet, all of Martinez seasons were the most exciting of all Everton seasons I've been a part of - barring the FA Cup final season with Moyes.

We actually did bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.