Biggest let down in recent times

Which of the following 3 scenarios have you been most disappointed with?

• The season after qualifying for the Champions League

Votes: 38 20.9%
  • The season after finishing 5th (Martinez's second season)

Votes: 70 38.5%
  • This season

Votes: 64 35.2%
  • Other

Votes: 10 5.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve gone other.

That season (I forget which sorry) which was peak Moyes. Had Arteta, Cahill, Heitinga and genuinely thought we’d get top 4.
Day one of the season: Blackburn 1 Everton 0 after a Tim Howard balls up.

Massive let down.
That result has always stuck with me, for some reason. It was 2 or 3 days after my daughter was born, the day I took her home, Everton had been good in pre-season. Then bang, we did a Everton.

Of the three listed, it's probably this season. Moyes had no right to get us 4th with that team and to after a disastourous start we still managed to gather some momentum that season, especially after losing 7 of the first 8 league games (or something like that). I knew Martinez was always going to drag us backwards and you could see the way the players were blowing for tugs after 60 minutes V Aresnal that they had been unprepared to levels that were unproffesional.

So yeah, this season, certainly the lowest I've felt about Everton in a long long time.

Of the three options it would have to be Martinez 14/15. We had a really good team that should have at the very least be competing for top 6. Not to mention the horrific Europa League exit in Kiev.

I let the 2005/6 side off a bit because they were genuinely punching above their weight getting 4th the season prior. Plus it must have been devastating to morale to have worked so hard for Champions League and then to have it taken away so cruelly in the qualifiers.

Degsy,I was happy with your response until I got to the last line. I can take a joke, but I took what you said as what you seriously felt.

I became an Evertonian a few years before you, and in the late 1950s I was quite happy to look at the table in the Echo on Saturday night and see Everton 15th on the Div 1 table.
Things improved enormously when we started buying players - courtesy of John Moores - like Bobby Collins, Alex Parker, Roy Vernon and
Jimmy Gabriel.

We won trophies in 1963, 1966, 1970, 1984/5,1986/87 and 1995, but even in the years when we didn't win silverware we were
competing right at the top and had many, many great victories.

That's why I keep sticking on, because even when we aren't finishing on top, I still enjoy the victory's along the way.

I've had a lot of practice and I love being an Evertonian because of what it's given me for the last 60 odd years.

You shouldn't have joined if you can't take a joke...and / or...If you can't take a joke you shouldn't have joined...It's a saying about the inevitability of things you have no control over and can't avoid.
The 'joke' being you didn't join you were conscripted...(or in our case chosen)
and at your age you must've heard it before and be familiar with the concept.

You were happy until the last line - well good for you and soz abar me...as they say on here
and I WAS serious.
weather report; Very cold up on the moral high ground today.

But on a personal note, the biggest let down was the Wigan QF at Goodison. No excuse to lose in the manner in which we did, we defo would have had off Mancini's City in the Semis or the Final had we gone through imo which makes it all the more frustrating.

At least in the Liverpool semi you kind of deep down expect us to bottle it, but not against Wigan at home ffs.

But on a personal note, the biggest let down was the Wigan QF at Goodison. No excuse to lose in the manner in which we did, we defo would have had off Mancini's City in the Semis or the Final had we gone through imo which makes it all the more frustrating.

At least in the Liverpool semi you kind of deep down expect us to bottle it, but not against Wigan at home ffs.
That Wigan game..
FFS.
Fellaini was a disgrace.

Getting beat by Tranmere in the cup was far, far worse though.

Our derby record.

A team with Arteta, Cahill, Jagielka, Baines, Pienaar not winning anything.

Players I thought would be great - Bilyaletdinov, Van Der Meyde, Jelavic, .....

The next big thing - Vaughan, Baxter, Kissock, .....

Love how that game is suddenly all felliani's fault, absolutely carried the midfield all season, as Neville and osman contributed nothing
It was the fact he threw his hands up in the air and gave a shrug of "I don't give a toss" in front of the Paddock and was then, if memory serves me correct, dragged off before he was murdered by someone that sticks in my mind most about that game mate. I'm sure your right in the fact it wasn't all his fault.. But I'm blaming him anyway !

That transfer deadline day when we sold Arteta, Beckford & Yakubu and replaced them with Stracqualursi and Drenthe.

It was weirdly exciting at the time, because we signed a winger from Madrid and an exotic centre forward, but then it slowly sunk in that we'd just sold two half decent strikers and our best player, and replaced them with two absolute nutcases.

Heady days.

Ive gone other as u cant choose.as i can see such similarities between martinez second season and koemans start of a second season. I remember martinez exciting footie 1st season and had great hopes for him then pre season second season it drastically changed to sideways possession footie with no intent until he got the bullet. What puzzels me most koeman has decided to do the exact same. Unreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.