Biggest let down in recent times

Which of the following 3 scenarios have you been most disappointed with?

• The season after qualifying for the Champions League

Votes: 38 20.9%
  • The season after finishing 5th (Martinez's second season)

Votes: 70 38.5%
  • This season

Votes: 64 35.2%
  • Other

Votes: 10 5.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve gone other.

That season (I forget which sorry) which was peak Moyes. Had Arteta, Cahill, Heitinga and genuinely thought we’d get top 4.
Day one of the season: Blackburn 1 Everton 0 after a Tim Howard balls up.

Massive let down.

2010/11. We also didn't win a PL game until October, and beat Chelsea in the FA Cup only to get knocked out at home to Reading in the next round. We did however take 4 points off the reds, halcyon days.

The Peter Johnson era.

Signing the likes of Dacourt, Colin's etc and really thnking that we had a chairman who was going to properly bankroll us before all the Sky money and Oligarchs.

However it was all based on the sale of hampers / potato based products and turned out to be a big fat lie

The debt knackered us a club for years afterwards.

the season after finishing 5th with Martinez deffo for me, that season we were boss he had us playing boss football, we turned up at some of the big away games and never sat back we attacked from the off, followed it up by signing rom then just fell apart

this season however disappointing it may be, who seriously was expecting us to complete again by selling our only goalscorer and not replacing him, as well as not finding a partner for keane?

I’ve gone other.

That season (I forget which sorry) which was peak Moyes. Had Arteta, Cahill, Heitinga and genuinely thought we’d get top 4.
Day one of the season: Blackburn 1 Everton 0 after a Tim Howard balls up.

Massive let down.
I was at that game and I was full of vim about the new season. To make it worse I think it was Paul Ince managing them at the time and it was clear to see that he couldn't manage a bowel movement after a bowl of chilli.

I was at that game and I was full of vim about the new season. To make it worse I think it was Paul Ince managing them at the time and it was clear to see that he couldn't manage a bowel movement after a bowl of chilli.

You might be thinking of the 08/09 season when they beat us 3-2 at Goodison with a last minute goal on the opening day. Think Allardyce was their manager for the 1-0 Tim Howard special.

I remember feeling crushed when Arsenal came back from two down in the first game at Goodison - in that Martinez second season. Looking back it feels like that was a big turning point in his reign. The 6-3 game against Chelsea was the next match, and the wheels just kept falling off thereafter. I went into that season with more hope and expectation than ever before.

When the draw came out as Villarreal second leg away. Then watching a Spurs team with an equally bad coefficient get young boys second leg at home a few years later.

I was working at a place at the time, a fairly small office, essentially divided into two larger rooms with a paper-thin wall between.
We only had an internal PC network and no internet, so had to rely on the radio for news of the draw.

I was in one room, working mostly with a few ladies not interested in football, and there was a majority of kopites in the other room. The draw came out and there was a huge burst of laughter and applause from next door.

Last edited:
I remember feeling crushed when Arsenal came back from two down in the first game at Goodison - in that Martinez second season. Looking back it feels like that was a big turning point in his reign. The 6-3 game against Chelsea was the next match, and the wheels just kept falling off thereafter. I went into that season with more hope and expectation than ever before.
That 6-3 was the best game I've ever seen us lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.