2017/18 Beni Baningime

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he's our best player in that position would you not be taking more of risk not playing him?

I know that's a bold statement but he really does look a class above anyone else apart from Ross.

that's just too bold even for me (and I do think/say bold statements often). I'm not comfortable in making that conclusion... Too premature for me, but I do understand if you feel that way. I've done it before with other players (Davies for example)

that's just too bold even for me (and I do think/say bold statements often). I'm not comfortable in making that conclusion... Too premature for me, but I do understand if you feel that way. I've done it before with other players (Davies for example)
Davies is 19 too and playing regularly in the premiership so he is fulfilling his potential.

Beni is also only 19 and like Davies good enough to start for us which right now is all they need to be and who knows how far they will go.

If he's our best player in that position would you not be taking more of risk not playing him?

I know that's a bold statement but he really does look a class above anyone else apart from Ross.
It's hard though isn't it. He certainly wouldn't be the first player to make a decent start to his career and then start to flounder. 12 months ago people were saying Holgate was better than Coleman, how's that looking now? Same thing with Galloway, he's gone from people saying he was going to be world class to not being able to make the bench for a side in the Championship relegation zone.

I like the look of him, but relying on raw young lads to play such an important role is a very risky strategy.

It's hard though isn't it. He certainly wouldn't be the first player to make a decent start to his career and then start to flounder. 12 months ago people were saying Holgate was better than Coleman, how's that looking now? Same thing with Galloway, he's gone from people saying he was going to be world class to not being able to make the bench for a side in the Championship relegation zone.

I like the look of him, but relying on raw young lads to play such an important role is a very risky strategy.

Yeah but he's playing well NOW. Why would you take him out when he's been very good?

Yeah but he's playing well NOW. Why would you take him out when he's been very good?
I'm not necessarily saying I would, simply that it's nowhere near as straightforward as you're making out.

In terms of 'why', I would say that there's a possibility a players entire career can be affected by playing too much when they aren't ready. He may not be mentally or physically equipped to become an overnight star, his development may be stunted by increased expectation and fear of failure, he may find the very spark that makes him a good player now dulled by being overplayed (I think there's an argument this has happened to Davies, who hasn't looked quite as fresh and full of verve since about April). It's a difficult balancing act between what seems best in the short term and what may be best in the long term.

I'm not necessarily saying I would, simply that it's nowhere near as straightforward as you're making out.

In terms of 'why', I would say that there's a possibility a players entire career can be affected by playing too much when they aren't ready. He may not be mentally or physically equipped to become an overnight star, his development may be stunted by increased expectation and fear of failure, he may find the very spark that makes him a good player now dulled by being overplayed (I think there's an argument this has happened to Davies, who hasn't looked quite as fresh and full of verve since about April). It's a difficult balancing act between what seems best in the short term and what may be best in the long term.

Well to me he hasn't looked fearful at all. And if his form suffers, then you deal with it just like every other professional footballer. Unsy is sold on him and he's been proven right. The lad is ready to help Everton right now.

Well to me he hasn't looked fearful at all. And if his form suffers, then you deal with it just like every other professional footballer. Unsy is sold on him and he's been proven right. The lad is ready to help Everton right now.
I don't think you understand the point I'm making so we'll just leave it there.

His job is to break up play and pass it to the more experienced players.

The problem is our experienced players are like little precious snowflakeshiding away, or massive cowards like Siggurdson who don’t want responsibility.

I guess not. I see nothing in the lad's make up to suggest he can't handle being a professional footballer.
And I didn't say anything which would even remotely suggest you needed to make that point, hence me saying you don't understand.

All I'm saying is handling the development of young players - or just young people in general - can be a bit of a minefield and we should be careful how we handle the situation. Its just a fact really.

Good luck lad, been at the academy since he was 9. Still only 19. Imagine this?

Status
Not open for further replies.