Young EFC Players Out On Loan 16-17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Colemans loan spell at Blackpool was probably the making of him, after that he's never looked back. Its a tricky one for sure, Garbutt would have been better served staying here and playing games in hindsight. I think mentality has changed in the last few years, for example the signing of Oviedo probably held back someone like Garbutt. I think under Walsh and with Unsworth in charge of the 23s we wouldn't see that type of signing if a player was close to stepping up.

...very good, I'd forgotten about him.

Championship
Barnsley - Gethin Jones played full match and was booked in 2-3 away defeat to Wigan Athletic

OS Match Report

Wigan Athletic - Callum Connolly started and was substituted in 55th minute of 3-2 home win over Barnsley

OS Match Report
"The best chance came after 35 minutes when a flowing move involving Jamie Hanson, Power and Connolly eventually saw the ball come into the box where Morsy did well to find space in a crowded area to shoot and Davies stretched out a good arm to parry the ball away at his far post."
"Powell had mesmerised Barnsley and Gethin Jones decided to try and stop him by any means, his foul near the touchline after 76 minutes leavng the former Manchester United man in a crumpled heap and reducing Latics to ten men while he received treatment."

No particular fan comments about either player.

League One
Oxford United - Conor McAleny played full match in 0-1 away defeat to Bradford City

OS Match Report
"Conor McAleny whipped a difficult shot across the face of the goal and then smashed a decent chance wide on 44, so the half chances had come predominantly the way of the boys in blue."

Twitter stuff
4' United break forward and McAleny is brought down 10 yards outside the Bantams area. He felt that.
28' Rothwell frees Maguire down the right. He spots McAleny free at the back post but his cross is too strong.
41' Ruffels sends Skarz away down the left. His cross is met first time by McAleny but the ball curls wide of the far post.
45' Good feet from Maguire who finds McAleny. He shoots but the angle is against him.
62' Johnson's deft flick allows McAleny to storm into the area. He's tackled just as he's about to pull the trigger.
74' McAleny twists and shoots, forcing Doyle to palm away low to his left.
77' McAleny with another 20-yard effort that brings a save out of Doyle.

League Two
Doncaster Rovers - Conor Grant played full match in 1-1 away draw at Colchester United

OS Match Report

Twitter stuff
38' Grant's low ball from the left finds Marquis, but his effort goes over 1-0
58' Great save from Walker to deny Blair after Grant leaves his man for dead down the left and pulls the ball back 1-1
77' Grant's deep free-kick from the right is just too deep for the last-man Marquis. 1-1
87' Marquis heads over at the near post after Grant's cross 1-1

Grimsby Town - Calum Dyson played full match and scored a penalty in 2-1 home win over Cambridge United

OS Match Report
"Town won the first corner of the afternoon on nine minutes after Dyson won a header and flicked the ball on for Osborne on the right, although Gunning’s header from the flag-kick was blocked."
"Town then appeared to have an opening down the left when Andrew played a ball forward for Dyson but as he struggled to bring it under control, defender Greg Taylor played the ball off him for a goal kick."
"No changes were made before the restart and Town had the first attack of note in the second half when Dyson found Osborne on the left. He worked his way into the box but the ball was cleared after he pulled it back."
"The signs for the Mariners were encouraging though and things were to get even better on 57 minutes when Osborne was brought down inside the box and the referee pointed to the penalty spot. DYSON stepped up and beat the dive of Norris to open the scoring."

Twitter stuff
25' #CamUTD corner, Dyson clears, and Osborne chases before he and Carroll both go to the floor. Both sets of fans claiming fouls
30' Carroll's free-kick comes into the #GTFC area but Dyson is there again to show the defensive side of his game, and clears it.
32' Dyson clears again, but #CamUTD come back once more before Ikpeazu is caught offside.
37' Gunning wins the drop-ball and Dyson earns Town a throw on edge of #CamUTD area.
39' #CamUTD counter but Osborne clears from #GTFC box. Dyson wins Town free-kick. It's end-to-end with no real chances
43' Andrew plays a great ball over the top to Dyson but the centre-forward struggles to control it and it's a #CamUTD goal-kick.
47' Great link-up play between Dyson and Mills but the right-back fails to keep it in
49' Berrett great ball over to Mills, who plays it towards Dyson in the box, but Taylor intercepts
57' GOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! @Calum_Dyson9 drills it into the bottom-left corner! Great penalty and the first goal of the Russell Slade era.
68' Dyson and Jones cause trouble in #CamUTD area before Taylor clears. #GTFC looking good in a tight game.

Fan comments
"Up top I thought Dyson did well against a physical back four and won his fair share in the air. Took his penalty very well too."
"Dyson - No shortage of confidence this boy a handful all day and beginning to look better each week and believe in his size. I would love to see him with us next season, come on Wilko you must have some favours still to call in at EFC??"
"Dyson and Jones were getting in behind. You could see the goal coming for 5 minutes or so with the pressure we were applying. Great cruyff turn from Osborne to win the pen, and very composed from young Dyson to tuck it away."
"As for the Everton loanee, I believe he's out of contract in the summer and selfishly I hope they let him go and we can sign him permanently because I think there's huge potential there. He's nowhere near the finished article but is getting stronger with every game and he's an intelligent forward who's learning all the time and a full season of playing League 2 football and working with ex Everton striker Paul Wilkinson could work wonders for him and us."
"I agree about Dyson if you look how his game has developed since he came in January if we could get him next term he could be an even bigger handful, Wilko needs to start influencing that now I reckon."

Tyias Browning is still recovering from knee injury so was not in squad for Preston
Anthony Evans was unused sub for Morecambe

Nice to see those very positive comments on Dyson, I'm not his biggest fan but he's obviously working hard in his loan starting to use his size and making an impression, good for him. I hope he can carve out a career at lower levels and works his way up the leagues. It'll be interesting to actually see if we let him go , I would imagine he'll get a degree of interest given his part in the U23s and his apparent success on loan.

Connolly on the bench for Wigan. Seen he got taken off on Good Friday as well. Wonder what going on there..

Remember we let Baines go at 16 because he wasn't big enough. Very possible some of these lads go elsewhere and work their way back. We let Barton go. We let Jags go. 2 of those we got back.

Championship
Barnsley - Gethin Jones played full match and in 1-1 home draw with Brentford

OS Match Report
"Gethin Jones was next to fashion an opening on 18 minutes as the ball squirmed loose off the boot of Tom Bradshaw, however he scuffed his effort and Jack Bonham saved easily."
"Jones was in exactly the right place to clear off the line as Jota’s corner spun dangerously close to the line, while Moncur went even closer to putting the Reds back in the lead almost immediately."

Twitter stuff
18 - Close again! Gethin Jones and Kent link up well, Jones breaks into the box and has an effort well saved by Bonham.
37 - Excellent piece of defending from Gethin Jones who sprints back and dispossesses Jota on the edge of the box.
90+2 - Gethin Jones breaks free and crosses, it's deflected behind for a corner.

Fan comments
"We know for certain that James, Kent, Armstrong, Janko and Jones will be gone come the summer (Hecky has said none of the loanees will return)."
"that Jones will end up in League 2"
"I thort Jones had a good game myself , opinions differ"

League One
Oxford United - Conor McAleny played full match in 2-0 home win over Port Vale

OS Match Report

Twitter stuff
6' Conor McAleny surges between two Vale defenders who bring him down right on the corner of the area. FK. 0-0
59' Johnson's flick over the top gives McAleny a run on goal but Mehmet is down well to save the shot from an angle. 1-0
87' McAleny slips the ball into Hemmings but Mehmet is out quickly to concede the corner. 2-0

Fan comment
"McAleny was clear through in the 2nd half and basically passed it to their keeper."

League Two
Grimsby Town - Calum Dyson played full match in 1-2 away defeat to Cheltenham Town

OS Match Report

Twitter stuff
68' Clements hits it but Brown parries it out and #CTFC clear. #GTFC come again but Dyson's effort goes wide.
76' CHANCE! Dyson is denied by a great stop from Brown. Encouraging signs from #GTFC as we look towards the last stages of the game.

Fan comments
"Dyson ran around a lot but was pretty ineffective."
"Dyson - Did not shirk a big challenge today versus a physical Cheltenham team, great attitude and desire and "if" we can get him back we should."
"I would try get Dyson back, although unlikely, but he looks a good player aswell."
"Of the loanees, I'd like us to try and re-sign Dyson"
"Dyson (Back to Everton) Has improved the more he has played but got no real service today, unlikely he will be back unless he is released by Everton"

Doncaster Rovers - Conor Grant started and was substituted in the 71st minute of 0-1 home defeat to Blackpool

No OS Match Report atm (showing an error page)

Twitter stuff
22' Corner in by Grant is flicked on by Rowe, which is over-headed kicked goalwards by May, Slocombe tips over the bar. 0-0

Fan comments
"Middleton, Grant and Baudry disappointed me today."
"I thought Grant did okay whilst on but didn't pull up any trees."
"Agree grant did OK, but I want him to be controlling games like today if he's to be a mainstay and big player for us. Again it felt he just ticked over and didn't do much of note. Right now I would be 50-50 on signing him given the potential cost."
"Grant was ok but he doesn't look in the right shape to me. He needs to lean down like Middleton last year. His size seems to affect his mobility. He's obviously not fat, just carrying too much bulk I think."
"Grant is lazy and ineffective when he should be assertive and commanding . We have missed key players Houghton Copps and Grant showed that today he can't rise up and play that part . I've watched all season and is no not a quality player , he is average for this league .We need players with bottle and Grant is lacking when it comes to craft . DF is staking his reputation on him and think he's not what worth the effort . Leave alone IMO ."
"It's unfair to say he's lazy. He's off the pace a bit at times but not lazy."

Morecambe - Antony Evans started on the bench and was brought on at half-time of a 1-1 home draw with Colchester United

OS Match Report
"Rose struck with two minutes to go after Antony Evans had been brought down in the box by Alex Wynter for a penalty which Rose calmly slotted home."

Twitter stuff
CHANCE: Half time sub Evans (for Wildig) has a strike at goal from a long throw. His shot hit just over the bar!
PENALTY!!!! Foul on Evans!!
GOOOOAAAAL: 1-1 @michaelrose3 steps up and casually rolls the ball home from the spot!!!

No particular fan comments.

Callum Connolly was an unused sub for Wigan.
Tyias Browning is still recovering from knee injury.

Interesting comments about Gethin Jones, I'm surprised Barnsley have indicated already that they won't try to keep him. At 21, out of contact in June, apparently done well at a mid table Championship club he would seem to be an ideal capture for a Championship club. Captain of Wales u21s too , so potential involvement in the full squad if he develops over the next few years.

Interesting comments about Gethin Jones, I'm surprised Barnsley have indicated already that they won't try to keep him. At 21, out of contact in June, apparently done well at a mid table Championship club he would seem to be an ideal capture for a Championship club. Captain of Wales u21s too , so potential involvement in the full squad if he develops over the next few years.
I think the impression I've got during his loan is that he is a steady professional who is generally going to give you a decent performance without stunning the crowd. Like you say, decent Championship-level player who currently looks like he will go on to have a professional career somewhere outside the upper half of the PL.

Championship
Barnsley - Gethin Jones played full match and was booked in 2-3 away defeat to Bristol City

OS Match Report
"A fine run from Gethin Jones down the left saw him release Ryan Kent ahead of him who in turn slipped in Mowatt inside the box, but his perfect cut-back was cleared desperately by Aden Flint in the City box."

Twitter stuff
16 - Gethin Jones swings in a cross from the right that Marley Watkins climbs to reach, only to head over the crossbar under pressure

No particular fan comments

League One
Oxford United - Conor McAleny played full match and scored twice in 3-0 away win over Millwall

OS Match Report
"You could sense the air of expectancy being sucked out of the Den from the moment that McAleny struck in the sixth minute. It was neat build-up initially with the excellent Ruffels at the heart of it and a final clipped ball in to the feet of the Everton loanee 25 yards from goal. The Lions backed off and McAleny turned and drove the ball with terrific power and accuracy into the bottom left corner.
A great goal, and two minutes later there was an even better one. This time Lundstram floated the ball to the left and McAleny, nominally playing left wing, drifted past his man and repeated the trick by hammering the ball across keeper Archer and into the bottom right corner. Ten goals this season for McAleny and almost all of them have been outstanding strikes from the young man."

Twitter stuff
Ribeiro knocks the ball into Johnson, who gets it to Ruffels. He knocks it sideways to MCALENY who fires home from 20 yards .1-0
A quick break by the U's, Lundstram finds Johnson at the back of the area, his pass finds MCALENY who blasts past Archer. 2-0
20' Great work down the left by McAleny who gets the ball to Johnson. His cross goes for a corner.
35' Johnson swings the ball left for McAleny to run onto. Unfortunately he runs into covering Millwall defenders.
42' United break and McAleny is brought down by Ben Thompson, who was awarded Young Player of the Year before the game
44' Archer takes the kick short to Craig who is pressured by McAleny so he touches the ball in the area so the kick is retaken.
54' Great turn by Maguire who takes the ball along the byline and pulls it back to McAleny, whose shot is blocked at source.
61' FK taken short to McAleny. He finds Johnson whose shot is tipped round the post at full stretch by Archer.

Fan comments
"McAleny shoots early, he is - unfortunately - too good for us"
"Please can we sign him. Two amazing finishes today"

League Two
Grimsby Town - Calum Dyson started on bench and came on in 71st minute of 4-2 home win over Yeovil Town

OS Match Report
"Town almost had a fifth goal when an excellent move involving Vose and Jones eventually led to Dyson shooting from inside the box but a good save from Maddison meant the only damage was a corner."
"Six added minutes were signalled to be played at the end of the game and a shot from Dyson in the fourth of them was saved by Maddison as the Mariners kept looking to add to their score."

Twitter stuff
84' SAVE! Blundell Park is in utter shock as Dyson's effort is parried wide for a corner after superb #GTFC play!
90' Mills plays a great ball over the top to Dyson, who cuts in and hits it with his left but Maddison somehow keeps it out

Morecambe - Anthony Evans started and was subbed in the 67th minute of 1-3 away defeat to Exeter City

No OS match report again at time of writing, nothing on Twitter and no fan comments

Doncaster Rovers - Conor Grant played full match in 1-2 home defeat to Wycombe Wanderers

OS Match Report

Twitter stuff
26' Conor Grant hits the outside of a post after creating space for himself just outside the area 1-1
68' Conor Grant fires wide under pressure at the far post after collecting a pass from Marquis 2-1
76' Some good play down the left ends with Grant winning a corner. 2-1
90+4' Marquis is played through by Grant but his shot goes just wide at the near post 2-1

No particular fan comments

Callum Connolly not in matchday squad for Wigan

Status
Not open for further replies.