Why do Everton support StubHub?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spend every working day working with the ticketing industry and personally, I like the service.

It has it's problems but there isn't a single ticketing system, or exchange that will appease everyone.

There is clearly a cost StubHub have to recover to provide the service and make a profit - they also pay Everton for the commercial arrangement. That has to come from somewhere, just like if you buy a ticket from Ticketmaster, you'll pay a ridiculous booking fee.

As a buyer and seller, I've exchanged tickets and always at less than face value.

For me, the main positives;

* It guarantee's authenticity.
* It's easy and seamless. (Fans need to understand it's not StubHub's fault if there is queues at Everton's box office....)

People who use it and understand it (and not just the headlines and the exceptions), tend to appreciate it.

Headline: OMG tickets are going for £200!
Reality: One idiot seller has listed a ticket for £200 with the vast majority being sound.

Quick example;

Headline: People are buying season tickets and selling all 19 games!
Reality: No mate, they're not. The club would see this...

It's fashionable to cry about StubHub and the club will eventually relent when the arrangement in this cash rich world of football doesn't outweigh the PR nuisance.

So if it's not StubHub, what are the alternatives?

Bring it in house?

This is what Man City did, moved from StubHub to in house. Here’s how Man City work;

• Any Seasoncard holder can release their home Premier League match seat for sale via the City Ticket Exchange
  • Minimum seven days prior to the game or when the game is sold out, whichever comes first, any listed seat will be made available for sale
  • If your seat sells, you will receive the equivalent funds for one-nineteenth (1/19, one Premier League fixture) of your Seasoncard price*, to be used as credit towards the purchase of your 2018/19 Seasoncard
  • There are no additional fees for selling your seat and you will retain all of your Seasoncard ticket points.
  • Please note that City Ticket Exchange closes three hours before kick-off on a Premier League matchday, so if you have listed your ticket for trade and it hasn’t been sold, you can still attend that day’s match.

I think most season ticket holders would rather have the option to have the cash back on their ticket, than have it discounted on the next season ticket. I also understand that if you don't renew, you don't get the credit back.

So for me personally, I'd rather have our existing model with StubHub than a Man City in house model...

Problem with Stubhub is its stopping people becoming genuine season ticket holders. There looks to be a lot of the same seats being sold regularly with people making a profit on their "investment" season ticket.
No coincidence that for as long as I can remember we have a massive waiting list. I can't get my lad a season ticket now, which wouldn't have been a problem just a couple of seasons ago, but he was too young then.
When I eventually get him one, like me, he'll go every game. But looks like we've now got a load of part time season ticket holders blocking new supporters.
While I agree some sort of ticket exchange should be implemented to reduce empty seats when someone can't make it, I think there should be a limit on the amount of games you can do this for. Maybe 3 a season. Face value plus fees should also be imposed.
We've literally had a "waiting list" for one season haven't we? lol

I spend every working day working with the ticketing industry and personally, I like the service.

It has it's problems but there isn't a single ticketing system, or exchange that will appease everyone.

There is clearly a cost StubHub have to recover to provide the service and make a profit - they also pay Everton for the commercial arrangement. That has to come from somewhere, just like if you buy a ticket from Ticketmaster, you'll pay a ridiculous booking fee.

As a buyer and seller, I've exchanged tickets and always at less than face value.

For me, the main positives;

* It guarantee's authenticity.
* It's easy and seamless. (Fans need to understand it's not StubHub's fault if there is queues at Everton's box office....)

People who use it and understand it (and not just the headlines and the exceptions), tend to appreciate it.

Headline: OMG tickets are going for £200!
Reality: One idiot seller has listed a ticket for £200 with the vast majority being sound.

Quick example;

Headline: People are buying season tickets and selling all 19 games!
Reality: No mate, they're not. The club would see this...

It's fashionable to cry about StubHub and the club will eventually relent when the arrangement in this cash rich world of football doesn't outweigh the PR nuisance.

So if it's not StubHub, what are the alternatives?

Bring it in house?

This is what Man City did, moved from StubHub to in house. Here’s how Man City work;

• Any Seasoncard holder can release their home Premier League match seat for sale via the City Ticket Exchange
  • Minimum seven days prior to the game or when the game is sold out, whichever comes first, any listed seat will be made available for sale
  • If your seat sells, you will receive the equivalent funds for one-nineteenth (1/19, one Premier League fixture) of your Seasoncard price*, to be used as credit towards the purchase of your 2018/19 Seasoncard
  • There are no additional fees for selling your seat and you will retain all of your Seasoncard ticket points.
  • Please note that City Ticket Exchange closes three hours before kick-off on a Premier League matchday, so if you have listed your ticket for trade and it hasn’t been sold, you can still attend that day’s match.

I think most season ticket holders would rather have the option to have the cash back on their ticket, than have it discounted on the next season ticket. I also understand that if you don't renew, you don't get the credit back.

So for me personally, I'd rather have our existing model with StubHub than a Man City in house model...

Great post. My mate is a Norwich STH (poor lad) and they use the same model as you describe for Man City. He can 'sell' his match ticket back to the club for individual games for credit towards next season. Only problem is, if you don't renew, I don't think you get any money back!

All the club needs to do is instruct StubHub to implement a Face Value maximum price, as per the club's own Terms & Conditions, which all Season Ticket holders agree to when buying the ticket.

It's not difficult.

All the club needs to do is instruct StubHub to implement a Face Value maximum price, as per the club's own Terms & Conditions, which all Season Ticket holders agree to when buying the ticket.

It's not difficult.
StubHub and EFC were in negotiations for a long while at the start of this season trying to agree a new deal (it ran out at the end of last season I believe). I wouldn't be surprised if part of these protracted discussions were down to this in all honesty. Maybe EFC wanted this kind of 'cap' put in place, but StubHub refused? Obviously the lower the selling price, the less profit for StubHub (as it's based on % of sale price), so I can understand why StubHub would be resistant to this proposal. As Danny has detailed above, StubHub have their own over-heads and costs they need to cover, as well as a need to make a sustainable profit.

In an ideal world EFC would bring in their own in-house ticketing exchange system, but that would mean EFC paying to implement the infrastructure, staff the service etc. Hence why they think it's worth-while to use StubHub.

StubHub and EFC were in negotiations for a long while at the start of this season trying to agree a new deal (it ran out at the end of last season I believe). I wouldn't be surprised if part of these protracted discussions were down to this in all honesty. Maybe EFC wanted this kind of 'cap' put in place, but StubHub refused? Obviously the lower the selling price, the less profit for StubHub (as it's based on % of sale price), so I can understand why StubHub would be resistant to this proposal. As Danny has detailed above, StubHub have their own over-heads and costs they need to cover, as well as a need to make a sustainable profit.

In an ideal world EFC would bring in their own in-house ticketing exchange system, but that would mean EFC paying to implement the infrastructure, staff the service etc. Hence why they think it's worth-while to use StubHub.

Nobody could blame StubHub. The blame lays 100% with Everton.

The Terms & Conditions of sale are very clear.

Is there a limit fo the minimum price? I looked to sell a kids ticket for a tenner as lad couldn't make it, and they recommended £46.50 and the dial thing they use wouldn't go below £30 ! Didn't bother as didn't want to rip anyone off - or was that me not using it right - was in a mad rush when I did it mind.

We've literally had a "waiting list" for one season haven't we? lol

Sorry, that should have read for the first time I can remember we have a massive waiting list.

Point is, having a season ticket should mean that you intend to go to all games. A ticket exchange should be for when people can't attend for genuine reasons, holidays etc.

It's not difficult.

They already have;

https://www.grandoldteam.com/2016/07/29/stubhub-partnership-continue-201617/

• You can set your price and also change it whenever you like, although the Club has implemented a price cap on the maximum check out price for all Season Ticket holder listings.
Clearly, it's a too high as is but StubHub have their own business model.

Is there a limit fo the minimum price? I looked to sell a kids ticket for a tenner as lad couldn't make it, and they recommended £46.50 and the dial thing they use wouldn't go below £30 ! Didn't bother as didn't want to rip anyone off - or was that me not using it right - was in a mad rush when I did it mind.

The minimum price is a couple of quid to cover StubHub's fee's. Can sell for considerably less than face value - every ticket I've ever had on there has been cheaper than face value.

Sorry, that should have read for the first time I can remember we have a massive waiting list.

Point is, having a season ticket should mean that you intend to go to all games. A ticket exchange should be for when people can't attend for genuine reasons, holidays etc.

I know I won't make 3-5 games a season.

They already have;

https://www.grandoldteam.com/2016/07/29/stubhub-partnership-continue-201617/

• You can set your price and also change it whenever you like, although the Club has implemented a price cap on the maximum check out price for all Season Ticket holder listings.
Clearly, it's a too high as is but StubHub have their own business model

What is the maximum price then? I can't see it.

Terms & Conditions of sale of Season Tickets clearly states the price should not exceed 1/19th of the price of the ST.

People moan about stub hub that it's ripping fans off yet they are happy to stream the match rather than pay for a ticket and rip the club off

Works both ways

I would imagine there are very, very few people using unreliable at best, dodgy at worst, streams as an actual alternative to going the game.

In fact, maybe none at all.

What is the maximum price then? I can't see it.

Terms & Conditions of sale of Season Tickets clearly states the price should not exceed 1/19th of the price of the ST.
Not quite. If you read the T&Cs as posted by @bizzaro on page 6 carefully, you'll notice that the 'pro rata value' is only stipulated when using clause 5.4 (iii) to move your ticket on e.g. selling privately to a "Guest".

The use of StubHub ("via the club's official ticketing exchange system") is covered by a different clause, 5.4 (ii), which does not stipulate the pro rata limit.

- Set a limit of how many times you can sell your seat. Say 5??? Check for seats that are repeatedly sold. Take them back & sell them to genuine supporters.

Is there no limit to how often you can sell your seat at the moment?

Because that's what it feels like to me.

And if there is not, there should be, as you say.

Not quite. If you read the T&Cs as posted by @bizzaro on page 6 carefully, you'll notice that the 'pro rata value' is only stipulated when using clause 5.4 (iii) to move your ticket on e.g. selling privately to a "Guest".

The use of StubHub ("via the club's official ticketing exchange system") is covered by a different clause, 5.4 (ii), which does not stipulate the pro rata limit.

Ah OK, didn't see that.

I think they've got it wrong. It's clearly being abused with tickets going for over £100.

Is there no limit to how often you can sell your seat at the moment?

Because that's what it feels like to me.

And if there is not, there should be, as you say.

Already been pointed out on this thread. Same seats on sale for every game.

They can very easily modify the T&Cs to ensure it does or add a small percent of the pro rata value say +2.5% etc

To prevent abuse.

This is clearly within the remit of the club with whom all decisions are final.

Status
Not open for further replies.