Votes: 35 15.0%
  • Mr Roberto Martinez

Votes: 165 70.8%
  • Mr Ronald Koeman

Votes: 25 10.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
No way am I accepting Martinez was good for us.

He beganneth the slide.

1407569542-mural2.jpg

In comparing them the thing that goes against Martinez is that he took us backwards, and for me this is why Moyes is so much better when compared:

Showing the season before they arrived (full season) and where they left us:

Moyes: 16th in 2001. Left with us in 6th. Took us forwards
Martinez: 6th in 2013. Left with us in 12th. Took us backwards
Koeman: 11th in 2016. Left with us in 18th. Took us backwards

Not really a fair comparison for Unsworth and Allardyce as both haven't had a full season, but both had/have us in a better position than when they took over.

Martinez had the best squad and took it on the steepest decline.

Everyone who has followed him has inherited the legacy of him destroying the side he inherited.

By no means is he the best of that bunch.

That said, Koeman made arguably the worst signings in our history, ruling him out. Unsworth did poorly, as has Allardyce, but the former had that big win when we needed it most, and the latter took us on a run of results which, love him or hate him, kept us up this season after the disastrous Koeman.

So the least bad of a terrible bunch of managers is a toss up between Unsworth and Allardyce. Context matters here.

LOL. He's the man that landed us in the mess we've been in all season, used the biggest transfer budget we've ever had to build the worst Everton team I've seen in my lifetime with no centre forward, one left back, two left footed players in the entire 25, a chronic lack of pace and no acceptable centre backs. He's bottom of that pile above, none of the other managers created a mess on the same scale as that.

I hear ya. But he also had a DoF to work with who failed to get him the striker and left-back you mentioned (several times I'm sure you remember in August in press conferences Koeman mentioned he still wanted to get a striker and back-up left-back). When Martinez took over he already had a settled, well-drilled team to work with, a team that perhaps just needed the addition of a bit of flair and a natural goalscorer which Martinez found in Lukaku. However Martinez's last two seasons were an unmitigated disaster with his failure to defend properly and safely "manage" a game out. His set-piece defending was laughably incompetent.

Koeman took over a side in disarray, and at least stabilised the club last season before the mess of a transfer window before this season started.

I'm not defending him as he was in large part to blame for the mess of our transfer policy this season with his obsession with Klaassen and Sigurdsson, it was not entirely his fault however.

The OP was who was best of the bunch, Koeman was no great shakes by any stretch but Martinez did more damage than Koeman in my opinion.

On another note, I think it's a little unfair for Unsy to be included in the poll on the basis of a handful of games in a very tough situation.

He has done Everton no harm and on the contrary, has been one of our shining lights over the past few years. I still found it hard to choose him on the basis of a few games. Give him time and experience and I'm sure Unsy will have success managing first-team football somewhere; if not at Everton.

Aside from a few games last season, the City one comes to mind, we've been utterly unwatchable. At least we were the entertainers under Bobby.

I make no judgments on whether he was the least gash of these four, mind.

The difference is...Moyes inherited an Everton side like this (line up vs Fulham): Simonsen, Hibbert, Weir, Stubbs, Pistone, Carsley, Gravesen, Gemmill, Unsworth, Radzinski, Ferguson

Martinez inherited (Moyes last game vs Chelsea): Howard, Coleman, Jagielka, Distin, Baines, Fellaini, Gibson, Naismith, Mirallas, Pienaar, Anichebe

Martinez then managed to persuade a 25 goal a season striker to join Everton for £28m, and made other good signings like bringing in the experienced title winner Gareth Barry. And with such a squad sent us considerably backwards after his first excellent season.

Anyone who inherited Anichibie, got us actually playing football, and then sold the plum for nearly £7M should have got a medal not his P45.

That's the thing that sticks with me. Everyone looks fondly at his first season and says "if only we gave him more time!". It wasn't that he was struggling to get his ideas to work, it's that his ideas were WORKING in the second and third seasons and that is what we saw.

He finished 5th and 11th twice. Moyes had us up and down like a yo-yo for 4-5 yrs and Koeman had us heading South in a season and a half. I’d take Martinez all day over the rest of them, and over some of the names I keep hearing on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.