Votes: 35 15.0%
  • Mr Roberto Martinez

Votes: 165 70.8%
  • Mr Ronald Koeman

Votes: 25 10.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Moyes was a million miles better than any of them.
Net spend (oh yes, that old baby again) of virtually nothing.
Martinez inherited a really well motivated , achieving squad from Moyes.
For the first season he capitalised on that, until being found out for what he was.
Absolute shambles thereafter.
They have all had miles more re finance than Moyes ever had.
No competition in my view.

In his 1st 4 years, Moyes had us finish:

7th (great 1st season, bottled near the end and thankfully, in hindsight, threw away potential European qualification),

17th (1 place above relegation zone with our lowest ever PL points Tally of 38, not even reaching the magical 40),

4th (tremendous achievement, especially so after losing Rooney and replacing him with Bent and Cahill from the Championship),

11th (spending the champions league money on utter, utter dross... Phil Neville was the best signing, make of that what you will).

That was 4 years of up and down results, before eventually steadying the ship as it where and providing us with a great deal of stability.

Martinez had 5th, 11th, 11th, not too dissimilar in all honesty, but the fans turned rabid against him after not instantly improving on his 1st season, and it went south before xmas in s2.

People want us to get Fonseca. He would be a lunatic to accept. He basically knows that he has to do great in his 1st year and improve in his 2nd or he will be hounded out. Despite all evidence pointing to managers needing time, the modern game, and the role social media has to play, too many people who shouldn't be given a platform to voice their opinion are free to spout what they want, and the game is worse for it. Just look at the stick that Ranieri, Mourinho, Conte, Zidane, Guardiola (last season), even that other ball bag from across the park, they are all on a hiding to nothing.

Some Everton fans think we are too good for Allardyce. Those fans need a reality check and a bit of common sense. We got Allardyce because we were desperate for him and he could call the shots, not the other way round.

OK I'll bite. Koeman, he inherited a bit of a mess post-Martinez and made a reasonably good fist of it last season. And the biggest cock-up during his tenure this season was not replacing Lukaku; and I don't think the largest chunk of responsibility for that falls on his shoulders.

LOL. He's the man that landed us in the mess we've been in all season, used the biggest transfer budget we've ever had to build the worst Everton team I've seen in my lifetime with no centre forward, one left back, two left footed players in the entire 25, a chronic lack of pace and no acceptable centre backs. He's bottom of that pile above, none of the other managers created a mess on the same scale as that.

7th (great 1st season, bottled near the end and thankfully, in hindsight, threw away potential European qualification),

17th (1 place above relegation zone with our lowest ever PL points Tally of 38, not even reaching the magical 40),

4th (tremendous achievement, especially so after losing Rooney and replacing him with Bent and Cahill from the Championship),

11th (spending the champions league money on utter, utter dross... Phil Neville was the best signing, make of that what you will).

That was 4 years of up and down results, before eventually steadying the ship as it where and providing us with a great deal of stability.

Martinez had 5th, 11th, 11th, not too dissimilar in all honesty, but the fans turned rabid against him after not instantly improving on his 1st season, and it went south before xmas in s2.

The difference is...Moyes inherited an Everton side like this (line up vs Fulham): Simonsen, Hibbert, Weir, Stubbs, Pistone, Carsley, Gravesen, Gemmill, Unsworth, Radzinski, Ferguson

Martinez inherited (Moyes last game vs Chelsea): Howard, Coleman, Jagielka, Distin, Baines, Fellaini, Gibson, Naismith, Mirallas, Pienaar, Anichebe

Martinez then managed to persuade a 25 goal a season striker to join Everton for £28m, and made other good signings like bringing in the experienced title winner Gareth Barry. And with such a squad sent us considerably backwards after his first excellent season.

People want us to get Fonseca. He would be a lunatic to accept. He basically knows that he has to do great in his 1st year and improve in his 2nd or he will be hounded out. Despite all evidence pointing to managers needing time, the modern game, and the role social media has to play, too many people who shouldn't be given a platform to voice their opinion are free to spout what they want, and the game is worse for it. Just look at the stick that Ranieri, Mourinho, Conte, Zidane, Guardiola (last season), even that other ball bag from across the park, they are all on a hiding to nothing.

Some Everton fans think we are too good for Allardyce. Those fans need a reality check and a bit of common sense. We got Allardyce because we were desperate for him and he could call the shots, not the other way round.
Good post, well argued.

Are you sure you're in the right forum?

The difference is...Moyes inherited an Everton side like this (line up vs Fulham): Simonsen, Hibbert, Weir, Stubbs, Pistone, Carsley, Gravesen, Gemmill, Unsworth, Radzinski, Ferguson

Martinez inherited (Moyes last game vs Chelsea): Howard, Coleman, Jagielka, Distin, Baines, Fellaini, Gibson, Naismith, Mirallas, Pienaar, Anichebe

Martinez then managed to persuade a 25 goal a season striker to join Everton for £28m, and made other good signings like bringing in the experienced title winner Gareth Barry. And with such a squad sent us considerably backwards after his first excellent season.

Moyes also inherited 1 of the countries best ever players, and anyone who says that 1st season wasn't massively helped by his emergence is remembering it wrong. Teams were terrified of him.

Anyway, I'm not trying to criticise Moyes, I'm just saying that in all of these things, you need to try and look at things with balance. And for me, Martinez suffers the most from this in terms of his impact. As I've said before, he gets no credit for 1st season and all the blame and criticism from season 2 onwards, which I think is excessive.

Moyes also inherited 1 of the countries best ever players, and anyone who says that 1st season wasn't massively helped by his emergence is remembering it wrong. Teams were terrified of him.

Anyway, I'm not trying to criticise Moyes, I'm just saying that in all of these things, you need to try and look at things with balance. And for me, Martinez suffers the most from this in terms of his impact. As I've said before, he gets no credit for 1st season and all the blame and criticism from season 2 onwards, which I think is excessive.

Rooney was a World Class talent but at 16/17 he was far from the finished article understandably and was here only 2 seasons scoring 15 goals in 67 appearances. The squad Moyes inherited was massively inferior to the one Martinez did.

I agree with looking at things with balance and Martinez did excellent in his first season, and also made top quality signings which meant we had a great blend of youth and experience. He fell apart in the next 2 seasons though with a very capable squad and was too stubborn to work on his own managerial weaknesses which meant we went backwards.

Should have title best if the bad bunch. I honestly cant pick 1 of them.

Martinez had a great start but then had the crazy idea of sideways possession , non intensity , non pressing football that has not left our mentalily so i just cant pick him.

Koeman repeatedly talked about a high intensity game and never played it.

Unsworth was a too clueless and repeated the same mistakes as the previous 2

Sam plays horrible football , has done well in getting us the safety points but is in no way the future.

I just cant pick.

There is only one sensible answer.

1CE1F91B00000578-4394696-image-a-4_1491720817549.jpg

As well as Lukaku Martinez also signed Robles , Kone , Alcaraz , Mc Geady , Cleverly
Just to add a bit of balance

As well as Lukaku Martinez also signed Robles , Kone , Alcaraz , Mc Geady , Cleverly
Just to add a bit of balance

Yeah, and Moyes signed Wessels, Kroldrup, Davies, Gueye, Bilyaletdinov, and for a damn sight more money as well, years before and under severe budget restrictions.

Your point is a pointless one. You should go on that game show, The Chase.

Yeah, and Moyes signed Wessels, Kroldrup, Davies, Gueye, Bilyaletdinov, and for a damn sight more money as well, years before and under severe budget restrictions.

Your point is a pointless one. You should go on that game show, The Chase.

My point was that Martinez had more fails than successes in the transfer market , that and his inability to organise a defence was his downfall
Every manager makes mistakes in the transfer market , even Fergie and Pep.
However when your fails outnumber your successes you are giving yourself no chance of succeeding
Lukaku was a no brainer
He’d proved he could score at PL level with WBA
4 goals against united in Fergusons last game proved that
Barry was a proven winner at PL level.

Should have title best if the bad bunch. I honestly cant pick 1 of them.

Martinez had a great start but then had the crazy idea of sideways possession , non intensity , non pressing football that has not left our mentalily so i just cant pick him.

Koeman repeatedly talked about a high intensity game and never played it.

Unsworth was a too clueless and repeated the same mistakes as the previous 2

Sam plays horrible football , has done well in getting us the safety points but is in no way the future.

I just cant pick.
That's the thing that sticks with me. Everyone looks fondly at his first season and says "if only we gave him more time!". It wasn't that he was struggling to get his ideas to work, it's that his ideas were WORKING in the second and third seasons and that is what we saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.