Where and when did it all start going awry for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will have to agree to disagree I feel.
I do not deny the damage done by the ban but for me the greater opportunity was fumbled in the early 70’s before we entered our 15 year trophy drought.
As for spending money on Cottee et al , this was a gamble since we were spending money we did not then have in order to maintain our position. In reality this is the point the club should have been put up for sale. Instead those in charge took too long to address the damage they were doing to a great institution. We lacked leadership.
Johnson admitted he did not realise the financial difficulties the club was in until after he purchased it.
His inability to correct it led to his departure.
Our demise has many contributory facts and several turning points, but I remain convinced had that 69/70 side been allowed to fulfil its potential, had Harry Catterick not fallen ill and had we appointed a more capable manager than Bingham to succeed him we could have at least shadowed Liverpool’s success domestically and in Europe and possibly even surpassed them.
You could say if Bingham had gone and bought a Shilton,Jennings keeper then we would or could have won a league and a couple of cups,there are a load of points since the 1969/70 season that could have changed our fortune

When we weren't more ruthless with David Moyes. He should have been sacked in 2010. Instead, we let him plow on, make the club look like a joke when we clapped him off to a "big" club and we've suffered a massive inferiority complex ever since.

That said, I can understand why he wasn't sacked, as he wasn't technically underperforming in line with the clubs' ambition under Kenwright.

Historically, however, the thing that allowed Kenwright to be in place and the one thing that started the whole rot is obvious - Heysel. When I say Heysel, I'm not just blaming Liverpool (although yes, I blame Liverpool, because they were literally to blame) but also the clubs mismanagement and inability to adjust in the aftermath ofit. Once the Premier League started and money flooded the game the gap has only widened.

You could say if Bingham had gone and bought a Shilton,Jennings keeper then we would or could have won a league and a couple of cups,there are a load of points since the 1969/70 season that could have changed our fortune
Perhaps , but I still regard Bingham as very poor choice overall who squandered his inheritance. He wasn’t fit to lace Catterick’s boots.
We were a top club and we should have appointed a top manager.
The same applies to Lee , but by then the damage had been done and the momentum gained during the sixties had dwindled.

It started decades ago, but it really hit home for me when Everton, a multi-million-pound organisation in one of the most high profile industries in the world, decided that this was the best way to represent the club:

View attachment 96673

The thread on here about that was tremendous. Still can't believe it happened - I genuinely thought it was a joke when first shown it.

Perhaps , but I still regard Bingham as very poor choice overall who squandered his inheritance. He wasn’t fit to lace Catterick’s boots.
We were a top club and we should have appointed a top manager.
The same applies to Lee , but by then the damage had been done and the momentum gained during the sixties had dwindled.
I think by the time Bingham had arrived that team was finished,the building of the stand took its toll as well,I agree he shouldnt have been 1st choice,same with Lee he had the chance to add a trophy or 2,most sides struggle was a truely great manager leaves,United with Busby,Leeds and Revie,some managers command and demand respect,I dont think Bingham was capable of either

I think by the time Bingham had arrived that team was finished,the building of the stand took its toll as well,I agree he shouldnt have been 1st choice,same with Lee he had the chance to add a trophy or 2,most sides struggle was a truely great manager leaves,United with Busby,Leeds and Revie,some managers command and demand respect,I dont think Bingham was capable of either
I suppose one of the great Unknown’s is whether Cattericks latest rebuild would have been as successful as his previous ones in the sixties .
It has to be said at the time he became ill it didn’t look promising.

When they got rid of the cushions?

You can still buy them today, replicas I think. Maybe we should all buy one for next season, always preferred them to booing. Watching them rain down on the pitch says so much more than a boo I think.

It was the years of doing it on the Cheap that have knackered us for when we eventually got some money.
We threw it all away on the same level mediocre players (but paying much more for them), rather than looking for bargains at a higher level.
Of course the lack of European football doesn't help attract anyone of any class.

He wanted Shilton but the board wouldn't pay his wages. Bingham wasn't first choice for manager - Robson turned us down at least twice.

Not getting Brian Clough in as manager early 70s because he was a bit mouthy they said. Instead going for Robson who said yes then no at the last minute.

To borrow from Douglas Adams: "In 1878 Everton FC was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Status
Not open for further replies.