Where and when did it all start going awry for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He wanted Shilton but the board wouldn't pay his wages. Bingham wasn't first choice for manager - Robson turned us down at least twice.
I heard the Robson rumour,apparently it leaked to the papers after he said he wanted to tell the Ipswich board 1st,I dont know how Bingham or Lee ended up as choices though,neither seemed a choice for the size of the club we were at the time

Honestly think the period that often gets overlooked it from 86 when we sold Lineker to the start of Premier league, the demise started then. We lost talent like Lineker, Trevor Steven, Gary Stevens and replaced them with half the quality. The 87 title win was our last kick.

Honestly think the period that often gets overlooked it from 86 when we sold Lineker to the start of Premier league, the demise started then. We lost talent like Lineker, Trevor Steven, Gary Stevens and replaced them with half the quality. The 87 title win was our last kick.

But they only left because of our European ban. We were bloomin' ace then and would have won shed-loads, they would have had no need to pursue other dreams. We were proper boss, to use the vernacular.

Think a lot of that was that those footballers wanted to play in Europe. Think even Howard went to Spain was it Bilbao because he wanted European football

Reactions: msb
....a lot of big clubs would give anything to be in the position we are, so it’s not all doom & gloom.

Key for me is the appointment of the right Manager and DoF. From a playing perspective, the building of a successful team is geared to those posts and we only have to look across the park and to OT to see it’s not easy to get the right people in.

It seems to me we are our own worst enemy

Since as far back as when Everton was passed onto me in the 60,s whenever we get a decent squad of players together , started winning trophies , looked unbeatable we could never sustain that momentum
Its as though this was the trigger to dismantle all that we worked so hard to get right , for numerous reasons too many to mention , I don't like bringing bad luck into it , but got to admit we have had our fair share ?

European ban the clear one, screwed us over leading to the start of the premier league when football was invented.

Polar opposite of Man Utd who had the youth players coming through at the perfect time and it started their dynasty. Even though they finally dropped back into the pack a little bit, it took 20-25 years for them to tail off. They are still the most popular club in the world....

Prior to that, we had won 9 titles to 7. Now its 9 to 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.