Top Six versus Everton: Player by Player

Status
Not open for further replies.
pickford is better than cech, chech has gone massively downhill since he left Chelsea and is riddled with mistakes, probably in the minority here but I think Lloris is one of the most over rated keepers I have ever seen, again the amount of stupid goals he concedes is absolutely ludicrous ( he makes a worldy save 10 minutes after which always overshadows it )

coleman would get in liverpools team, arsenals team and spurs ( aurier is clumsy and tripper is decent but not yet at colemans level )

gueye I'd have in arsenal and liverpools team providing his job is just to break up play and nothing else because that's the only roll he excels in

Walcott would get a game somewhere as well

In reality, rather than comparing what we have with other clubs, I'm more interested in comparing the players now with how they can play. I don't see many in our current squad playing to their potential, with most considerably under-performing compared to their previous clubs.

Conte at Chelsea recently said that he sees himself as the kind of manager that can get a few percent extra from players on the training pitch rather than one who buys teams. Sadly it seems Allardyce is the opposite.

Must be being thick, but I can't for the life of me understand why some of our players' names are in bold, and others not!

Does it mean the bold ones would get into certain teams' squads, but the non-bold ones are deemed not good enough to displace players mentioned in the brackets?

If so, I don't see why Sigurdsson is classed as being inferior to Son, or Gueye inferior to Dier or Xhaka, or Pickford inferior to Cech, or Walcott inferior to the massively overrated Pedro.

Out of his depth?!

He's got 21 goals with a third of the season to play.
I think that United will look for an upgrade sooner rather than later. His stats will always stand up, but his performances against good sides are pathetic.

What’s the deal all of a sudden with this ‘top 6’. It’s media construct and 6th has generally meant the same as 7th for the past few seasons and almost certainly will be same this season as 6th & 7th get into Europa league with 5th just at an earlier round. The only glass ceiling is champions league so compare with top 4 cos anything below top 4 are also rans in terms of money and attractiveness to players these days

Arsenal literally just signed Aubameyang. Could we have done that? Financially maybe. In terms of status? What do you think? It’s a top 6 because those clubs are either competing for the top 4 or at least all in with a shout of winning a trophy or two. The sky love in is a bit OTT but it reflects the current status of the league.

Must be being thick, but I can't for the life of me understand why some of our players' names are in bold, and others not!

Does it mean the bold ones would get into certain teams' squads, but the non-bold ones are deemed not good enough to displace players mentioned in the brackets?

If so, I don't see why Sigurdsson is classed as being inferior to Son, or Gueye inferior to Dier or Xhaka, or Pickford inferior to Cech, or Walcott inferior to the massively overrated Pedro.

Just because they’re not in bold doesn’t mean they’re being classed as inferior (I think). It simply means there’s marginal differences between the players and probably other reasons as to why they wouldn’t displace players at top 6 clubs. For example for the price they’d probably have to pay and for the player they’d be getting would Spurs really want Gueye? And they literally had Sigurdsson and now have Son who has done more for them than Gylfi ever did. Doesn’t mean he’s a bad player... for us. But he’s not so good that a club higher up than us would be desperate to get him and do anything to make it happen.

Walcott is a good example of this.. looks like a potentially great signing.. FOR US. At only £20 million it was surprising no-one else went for him but that’s just the way it is. The only question that really needs asking is “does player X improve our current first XI and squad?”. Admittedly given how this season has panned out that’s not exactly hard, but if you can answer yes to that question then that’s not a bad start. No point worrying about the top 6.

You said we hadn't bought well and then listed players who were sold on.

That list was mainly young players. Even then we could t sign the players with real potential. As good as those players are there's no De Bruynes Gabriel Jesus's or Eden Hazards.

Perhaps the player with biggest potential was lukaku but he was a top 6 reject and looks out of his depth now he's back in top 6.

We're chasing a different class of player and pretty much hoping the stats align like they did for Leicester.

Steve?!

You said we hadn't bought well and then listed players who were sold on.

That list was mainly young players. Even then we could t sign the players with real potential. As good as those players are there's no De Bruynes Gabriel Jesus's or Eden Hazards.

Perhaps the player with biggest potential was lukaku but he was a top 6 reject and looks out of his depth now he's back in top 6.

We're chasing a different class of player and pretty much hoping the stats align like they did for Leicester.

Fair point, re: stating we haven't brought well. I should have stated "we arguably haven't brought well this last eighteen months".

But I agree, we're chucking money at players and hoping. My broader point was that it isn't impossible to buy quality but we seem to have lost that knack. Agree none of them were world-class stars but we used to at least find players to function at a high level in a team. Which top 6 club's would buy. Currently we are not.

I'm not sure what it is now, but I know that he scored 14 goals for us against those sides in the 4 seasons we had him. Could be better obviously, but it's nowhere near as bad as some people liked to make out.

Ah, that is better than I thought it was. http://www.planetfootball.com/quick...-lukakus-record-v-big-six-kane-aguero-vardys/

This has a breakdown (albeit up until last October). Since arriving in the Premier League in 2011 the 24-year-old has scored only 15 goals in 57 games against Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham

Last edited:
Not a single one of our players would start for a top 6 team barring some huge injury crisis.

Can people really not see just how crap our team is?

Status
Not open for further replies.