Top Six versus Everton: Player by Player

Status
Not open for further replies.
You serious, Pickford is already in the top 5 most expensive keepers and if he does leave I'm expecting the fee to be more then buffons. Not on the level as De gea yet but if he continues to improve he will be within the next 2-3 seasons.
And the reason walcott never made it at arsenal has nothing to do with his ability it was to do with his football intelligence and because he could never score consistently

Little arms though. Looked like a small T-Rex in the FA Cup derby.

You serious, Pickford is already in the top 5 most expensive keepers and if he does leave I'm expecting the fee to be more then buffons. Not on the level as De gea yet but if he continues to improve he will be within the next 2-3 seasons.
And the reason walcott never made it at arsenal has nothing to do with his ability it was to do with his football intelligence and because he could never score consistently

Actually hang on, what? He scored 100 goals for them

We’ve sold any Crown Jewels that would stimulate this debate - Stones, Lukaku, I could add to that the early promise the young Barkley once showed but don’t want to distract the point - both (or all three) have gone to Top Six sides.

Realistically that’s what happens - both for clubs outside that top six - and increasingly those within it - it’s professional sport, this happens. Before those three, we also took good money for Felli, Rodwell, Lescott, Arteta, even Pienaar, who all went to the current top six.

The challenge for Everton is to produce players who in the first place are good enough for our First Team. Then it’s up to the club to convince them that their future is with us. If they don’t, they’ll move.

We all know we are in transition & I agree not many of our first sixteen or so - hard to say eleven - will be desirable or warrant a place in a current top six side.

But you know what, there are plenty at this club who have the potential to do so in the future.

The sad thing is, some of our players maybe would get into the top 6 sides and would be better players for it. :( And vice-versa.

It is how they fit into a team that is the important thing. Because we don't have a clear strategy and sense of direction the players look all the worse for it.

Pickford, Coleman and Walcott are decent players by any standard. All three would see game time as squad options at a top six club, and I think that Coleman would likely push for a starting place at United, Liverpool or Chelsea.

There are obviously some decent prospects at the club, too, along with one or two unknowns that could yet come good; but overall, it's a pretty poor group.

A very long winded way of repeating many existing axioms on this forum: we're not very good, the squad isn't all that, we've not brought well.

Cheers.

Until something changes we're never going to buy anyone who could play for the bigger clubs. Simply NEVER EVER going to happen.

The players we've bought are 7th best type players, and that's almost certainly where we'll finish.

All we can do is hope we produce a Harry Kane who doesn't force a move to United as quickly as Rooney did. Even then Spurs still don't look like winning that much anytime soon.

I think Capt Jags would make most top 6 sides purely on the strength of his leadership traits; he can really lift and inspire his men and make them perform Herculean-like turn around performances.
Capt Jags’ only vulnerability as far as I can see is that his boot laces come undone a bit too often. But, if a decent Velcro boot fastener becomes available, Capt Jags walks into any team in the world...yes definitely

@Walken

Until something changes we're never going to buy anyone who could play for the bigger clubs. Simply NEVER EVER going to happen.

The players we've bought are 7th best type players, and that's almost certainly where we'll finish.

All we can do is hope we produce a Harry Kane who doesn't force a move to United as quickly as Rooney did. Even then Spurs still don't look like winning that much anytime soon.

Um, but in recent years we've brought Stones, Arteta, Pienaar, Fellaini, Lukaku and Lescott who all left for the bigger clubs. So we can buy those kind of players. So don't quite agree with your first point.

The second one is correct: hanging on to anyone decent is a big challenge.

You think Walcott is better than Martial?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I mean the others are borderline, Luke shaw is Utds Left Back.

You think Alexander-Arnold is better than Coleman?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

In the words of their own manager, Luke Shaw is not United's left back.

As for Walcott, at this moment I'd take him over Martial to play RW yes. LW? Probably not. In three years' time? Almost certainly not.

Status
Not open for further replies.